Lotus Flower Quotes About the Beautiful and Symbolic Flower
August 22, 2022 5:00 AM EST
Be inspired and encouraged by these lotus flower quotes.
The lotus flower is often connected with Buddhists and Hindus.
Ancient Egyptians even believed that the flower was capable of resurrecting the dead.
While that’s not true, the beautiful flower is often connected with peace and strength.
The lotus flower grows in water, something you might not associate with beautiful flowers.
It’s often in muddy water.
Remarkably, the flower submerges into the water each night and then reemerges the next day above the water.
It’s often associated with honor, good luck, health, and long life.
Be inspired by the lotus flower quotes below.
And don’t forget to also check out these rose quotes honoring our life, beauty and thorns.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Inspiring lotus flower quotes
1. “If you know how to make good use of the mud, you can grow beautiful lotuses.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
You will also enjoy our article on bloom quotes.
2. “Every struggle is like mud – there are always some lotus seeds waiting to sprout.” – Amit Ray
You will also enjoy our article on purple quotes.
3. “Seeing the mud around a lotus is pessimism, seeing a lotus in the mud is optimism.” – Amit Kalantri
You will also enjoy our article on Austin Powers quotes.
4. “From the mud of adversity grows the lotus of joy.” – Carolyn Marsden
You will also enjoy our article on Buddha quotes.
5. “The lotus comes from the murkiest water but grows into the purest thing.” – Nita Ambani
You will also enjoy our article on spiritual awakening quotes.
6. “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.” – Mulan
7. “Every day, let our words blossom lotus in someone’s heart.” – Amit Ray
8. “Out of suffering, a lotus flower of happiness can open.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
9. “I wish I could see a cherry blossom or a lotus flower. Where could they be?” – Susumu Katsumata
10. “When the mind is silent like a lake the lotus blossoms.” – Amit Ray
Lotus flower quotes about growth and new beginnings
11. “Enlightenment is blossoming the thousand-petaled lotus flower on the top of the head.” – Amit Ray
12. “Like the lotus flower that is born out of mud, we must honor the darkest parts of ourselves and the most painful of our life’s experiences, because they are what allow us to birth our most beautiful self.” – Debbie Ford
13. “On the path of self-realization, there is no one big awakening, but many along the way of varying degrees: some small, some big; and each one of them is like the lotus flower, which grows out of muddy waters.” – Ora Nadrich
14. “Like the lotus flower, business blooms in the mud, and in the dark of night. The lotus is an amazing creation of God because, for all of its beauty, it is the sum total of work performed in a mess.” – Robin Caldwell
15. “There is the mud, and there is the lotus that grows out of the mud. We need the mud in order to make the lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
16. It’s like growing lotus flowers. You cannot grow lotus flowers on marble. You have to grow them on the mud. Without mud, you cannot have lotus flowers. Without suffering, you have no way to learn how to be understanding and compassionate.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
17. Like a lotus flower, you will sprout through the soil, reaching up through the dark water towards the sunlight, stretching to the surface where you will beautifully bloom.” – Dana Arcuri
18. “If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.” – Masaru Emoto
19. “The lotus flower is a reminder of the beauty that comes from change, the magic that a new beginning brings, and the seed of potential that’s buried in the most unlikely places.” – Jennifer Williamson
20. “A nightingale does not stop singing its beautiful song at the intrusion of an annoying woodpecker. Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower. Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty.” – Suzy Kassem
21. “Out of the mud of your fears, struggles, pain, and confusion, the lotus flower of your inner heart will spontaneously grow.” – Anon I Mus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sunflower quotes celebrating the power and beauty of this special plant.
About lotus flower quotes
22. The sacred lotus not only creates a relaxing sensation of euphoria, and increases vibrations of the heart, but also triggers genetic memory – and good memory with an awakened heart ushers wisdom.” – Suzy Kassem
23. “The lotus flower blooms most beautifully from the deepest and thickest mud.” – Buddhist Proverb
24. “Water surrounds the lotus flower, but does not wet its petals.” – Gautama Buddha
25. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. When you are born a lotus flower, be a beautiful lotus flower, don’t try to be a magnolia flower. If you crave acceptance and recognition and try to change yourself to fit what other people want you to be, you will suffer all your life. True happiness and true power lie in understanding yourself, accepting yourself, having confidence in yourself.” – Nhat Hanh
26. “The lotus flower sees only filth all its life yet turns beautiful.” – Rajesh
27. “One thing is certain: you can never become anything other than yourself, and unless you become yourself you cannot be happy. Happiness happens only when a rosebush grows rose flowers; when it flowers when it has its own individuality. You may be a rosebush and trying to flower as lotus flower – that is creating insanity. Erase the mind. And the way to erase it is not by fight: the way to erase it is just to become aware.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
28. “May I live like the lotus at ease in the muddy water.” – Unknown
29. “The lotus flower is troubled at the sun’s resplendent light; with sunken head and sadly she dreamily waits for the night.” – Heinrich Heine
30. “No mud, no lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
31. “A flower can’t grow without rain. Too much rain and it drowns. And yet the most beautiful of the lotus flowers are the ones that grow in the deepest mud.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
32. “One thing is certain: you can never become anything other than yourself, and unless you become yourself you cannot be happy. Happiness happens only when a rosebush grows rose flowers; when it flowers when it has its own individuality. You may be a rosebush and trying to flower as lotus flower – that is creating insanity. Erase the mind. And the way to erase it is not by fight: the way to erase it is just to become aware.” – Rajneesh
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of flower quotes to remind you to smell the roses.
33. “If you come to Plum Village in the summertime, you see many lotus flowers. Without the mud, the lotus flowers cannot grow. You cannot separate lotus flowers from the mud. It is the same with understanding and love. These are two kinds of flowers that grow on the ground of suffering.” – Nhat Hanh
Don’t forget to also check out these farmer quotes that will make you love the land.
More lotus flower quotes
34. “Be like a lotus. Let the beauty of your heart speak. Be grateful to the mud, water, air and the light.” – Amit Ray
35. “As the lotus rises on its stalk unsoiled by the mud and water, so the wise one speaks of peace and is unstained by the opinions of the world.” – Buddha
36. “Fate is but a dying wish… Of a world that is beyond control. Like a single lotus flower, the future blossoms; Upon its petals, two people shall be free.” – Youka Nitta
37. “Everything turns in circles and spirals with the cosmic heart until infinity. Everything has a vibration that spirals inward or outward — and everything turns together in the same direction at the same time. This vibration keeps going: it becomes born and expands or closes and destructs — only to repeat the cycle again in opposite current. Like a lotus, it opens or closes, dies, and is born again. Such is also the story of the sun and moon, of me and you. Nothing truly dies. All energy simply transforms.” – Suzy Kassem
38. “As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world.” – Buddha
39. “If you sleep, desire grows in you like a vine in the forest. Like a monkey in the forest, you jump from tree to tree, never finding the fruit – From life to life, never finding peace. If you are filled with desire your sorrows swell like the grass after the rain. But if you subdue desire your sorrows shall fall from you like drops of water from a lotus flower.” – Gautama Buddha
40. “There are still some terrible cliches in the presentation of Indian fiction. The lotus flower. The hennaed hands. In mainland Europe, people still slap these images on my books and I go bananas.” – Hari Kunzru
41. “Deep within the self is the Light of God. It radiates throughout the expanse of His creation. Through the Guru’s teachings, the darkness of spiritual ignorance is dispelled. The heart lotus flower blooms forth and eternal peace is obtained, as one’s light merges into the Supreme Light.” – Guru Amar Das
42. “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first, you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering. … The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life. … Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying, and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness, and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one.” – Goldie Hawn
43. “The ultimate source of energy, the sun is ready to set. The leaves of the blooming lotus flower in the pond are losing their lustre. A bumblebee, sitting on that lotus is enjoying the romantic pleasure and murmuring passionate songs.” – Manmohan Acharya
44. “Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout. Just as a lotus flower springs from the mire to bloom splendidly, the interaction of the cosmic breath causes the flower of the spirit to bloom and bear fruit in this world.” – Morihei Ueshiba
45. “By means of microscopic observation and astronomical projection, the lotus flower can become the foundation for an entire theory of the universe and an agent whereby we may perceive Truth.” – Yukio Mishima
You might also like these color red quotes that express passion.
Lotus flower quotes to keep you inspired
46. “Life has many petals. Spirituality is unfolding those petals with love, responsibility, equanimity, creativity and compassion.” – Amit Ray
47. “Lotus flowers lead harrowing journeys. Their seeds sprout in murky swamp water, thick with dirt and debris and snarls of roots. For a lotus to bloom, she must forge her way through this terrible darkness, avoid being eaten by fish and insects, and keep pressing onward, innately knowing, or at least hoping, that there is sunlight somewhere above the water’s surface, if she can only summon the strength to get there. And when she does, she emerges unscathed by her journey and blooms triumphantly.” – Sarah Jio
48. “Live life in its totality. And living in the world, don’t be of it. Live in the world like a lotus flower in water: it lives in water, but the water touches it not.” – Osho
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Osho quotes on how to live life and find inspiration.
49. “I am Buddhist. The lotus life cycle is a reminder of myself as a bell shaped curve of life as stages of birth, aging, illness, and death. As I know, lotus plants in the tropics need a natural cleaner pond more than a polluted pond.” – Veera Vitayaudom
50. “When the Sun of awareness rises, the thousand-petal lotus blossoms, and the golden light of blissful silence illuminates your inner sky.” – Banani Ray
51. “In deep meditation, individual consciousness merged with the cosmic consciousness. In the absence of doer, the lotus blossoms.” – Amit Ray
52. “Don’t let the mediocrity that surrounds you affect the creative machinery of your rich mind. Like how the incandescent beauty of the magnificent lotus is unaffected by the swampy mud that surrounds it.” – Rajesh
53. “Just like the lotus we too have the ability to rise from the mud, bloom out of the darkness and radiate into the world.” – Unknown
54. “Remain in the world, act in the world, do whatever is needful, and yet remain transcendental, aloof, detached, a lotus flower in the pond.” – Osho
55. “Live the lotus life. Live like a lotus—untouched from external environments. Keep your energy and vibrations high. Create your own identity.” – Purvi Raniga
Lotus flower quotes that are full of wisdom
56. “May we exist like a lotus, at home in the muddy water. Thus we bow to life as it is.” ― Zen
57. “Like a lotus plunging to the surface of a pond to embrace the light from its muddy darkness, truth always rises with time.” ― Suzy Kassem
58. “Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower. Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty.” ― Suzy Kassem
59. “The lotus has the ability to survive beyond the mercurial nature of weather (storms, frost). The lotus is one strong, powerful, and resilient flower that blossoms in a substance (mud) that none of us would want to touch.” ― Robin Caldwell
60. “Be that lotus flower always. Do not allow any negativity or ugliness in your surroundings destroy your confidence, affect your growth, or make you question your self-worth.” ― Suzy Kassem
61. “One must be a lotus to emerge from murky waters clean.” ― Will Advise
62. “This world will throw mud at you. It’s your choice to get buried under the mud or bloom like a lotus!” ― KP Singh
63. “You must be a lotus, unfolding its petals when the sun rises in the sky, unaffected by the slush where it is born or even the water which sustains it.” ― Sai Baba
64. “Just as the pure white lotus flower blooms unsoiled in muddy water, our lives, which are supremely noble, can continue to shine even amid life’s harshest realities.” ― Daisaku Ikeda
65. “One day, the lotus spoke again. “You remember me? The flower that grows through the mud?” ― Dawn Casey-Rowe
Lotus Flower Quotes About Purity
66. “The lotus grows in muddy waters but this flower does not show any trace of it: So we have to live in the world.” ― B.K.S. Iyengar
67. “Number theorists are like lotus-eaters — having once tasted this food they can never give it up.” ― Leopold Kronecker
68. “Even amidst fierce flames the golden lotus can be planted.” ― Sylvia Plath
69. “Sandalwood, tagara, lotus, jasmine – the fragrance of virtue is unrivaled by such kinds of perfume.” ― Gautama Buddha
70. “Love is the lotus, lust is the mud the lotus arises out of.” ― Rajneesh
71. “Cut out the love of self, like an autumn lotus with thy hand!” ― Gautama Buddha
72. “Every green herb, from the lotus to the darnel, is rich with delicate aids to help an incurious man.” ― Martin Farquhar Tupper
73. “Life is like a rain drop on a lotus leaf. Everybody realizes that you’re either a very lucky person or you’re not.” ― George Harrison
74. “An intense copper calm, like a universal yellow lotus, was more and more unfolding its noiseless measureless leaves upon the sea.” ― Herman Melville
75. “Egypt loved the lotus because it never dies. It is the same for people who are loved.” ― Anita Diament
Which of these lotus flower quotes is your favorite?
Even if the lotus flower isn’t part of your faith and religion, there is something we can all take away from the example that the flower gives us.
We can draw upon the strength it shows us as it submerges in the murky, muddy water at night but survives to show its beauty again the next day.
The lotus flower adds beauty to what might not be a very pretty environment on its own instead of being tainted by the mud that it’s in.
In the same way, we can learn how to rise up above our bad situations and show peace, beauty, and strength.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these lotus flower quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.