Rose Quotes Honoring Our Life, Beauty and Thorns
These rose quotes will allow you to see the beauty in life even with all its thorns.
March 21, 2023 4:52 AM EST
Our latest collection of rose quotes will inspire you and encourage growth in your life.
Many love that alluring scent and lovely petals, but there is a pain in beauty, and the rose is proof of it.
Are you searching for rose quotes to honor life, beauty, and the thorns we cannot escape?
Let us know your favorite rose quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study found that people who persevere despite setbacks are 10 times more likely to achieve their goals than those who give up easily.
Let rose quotes inspire you to never give up, no matter how difficult the journey may seem.
What are the benefits of reading these rose quotes?
Roses are literally the queen of flowers.
We all love and appreciate their beauty.
Roses are not only pretty, they:
- send a strong message of love
- possess a heavenly scent
- come in breathtaking colors
But besides representing something pristine and lovely, roses can impart a lot of wisdom on us.
Just as a rosebud opens up into a beautiful bloom under the right conditions, we should also find what we need to make our dreams flourish.
We should develop the ability to survive and become strong just like the rose grows thorns to protect itself from harm.
As you work towards your goals and dreams, enjoy your journey as much as the destination, seeing how the rose is beautiful at each stage of its life cycle.
Roses require pruning to allow them to thrive.
Similarly, we must embrace the seasons of “pruning” in our lives to encourage new growth and help us move forward.
Roses delight our senses in so many ways.
In honor of their incredible beauty, below is our collection of beautiful, wise, and inspirational rose quotes, rose sayings, and rose proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also, check out these garden quotes that inspire kindness.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Rose quotes honoring our life, beauty and thorns
In a survey of successful people, 93% reported experiencing multiple failures before achieving their goals.
Just like the thorns on a rose, obstacles can be painful but ultimately help us grow and succeed.
1. “No rose without a thorn.” – French Proverb
You will also enjoy our article on beauty quotes.
2. “My life is part humor, part roses, part thorns.” – Bret Michaels
You will also enjoy our article on November quotes.
3. “A rose’s rarest essence lives in the thorn.” – Rumi (see more quotes by Rumi)
You will also enjoy our article on water quotes.
4. “Do not watch the petals fall from the rose with sadness, know that, like life, things sometimes must fade, before they can bloom again.” – Anonymous
You will also enjoy our article on red quotes.
5. “But he that dares not grasp the thorn. Should never crave the rose.” – Anne Bronte
You will also enjoy our article on skincare quotes.
6. “The sharp thorn often produces delicate roses.” – Ovid
You will also enjoy our article on queen quotes.
7. “True love is like little roses, sweet, fragrant in small doses.” – Ana Claudia Antunes
You will also enjoy our article on pretty Woman quotes.
8. “Rose never propagandize its fragrant, but its own fragrance spreads surrounding.” – Sukarno
You will also enjoy our article on bloom quotes.
9. “If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears.” – Isaac Hayes
You will also enjoy our article on Titanic quotes.
10. “If the rose is a beautiful flower, it is also because it opens itself.” – Charles De Leusse
If you enjoy this article, you might also love our collection of yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
Rose quotes on life and beauty
A study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology found that individuals who actively looked for positive meaning in challenging situations were more resilient and better able to cope with stress.
Let rose quotes remind you to focus on the beauty and positivity in life.
11. “Everybody loves roses: they are the symbol of virtually everywhere, from England to North Dakota. They are an international icon for innocence, and beauty, and rugby; the knee-jerk favorite of politicians, poets, and other enemies of civilization.” – Charlotte Mendelson
You will also enjoy our article on color red quotes.
12. “When love came first to earth, the Spring Spread rose-beds to receive him.” – Thomas Campbell
You will also enjoy our article on The Golden Girls quotes.
13. “Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete? Proving nature’s laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet. Funny, it seems to by keeping its dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air. Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.” – Tupac Shakur
You will also enjoy our article on Rumi quotes.
14. “Real beauty is in the fragility of your petals. A rose that never wilts isn’t a rose at all.” – Crystal Woods
You will also enjoy our article on lotus flower quotes.
15. “It’s the time that you spent on your rose that makes your rose so important… People have forgotten this truth, but you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed. You’re responsible for your rose.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
You will also enjoy our article on crush quotes.
16. “A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.” – Chinese Proverb
You will also enjoy our article on deep love quotes.
17. “Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.” – Mark Overby
You will also enjoy our article on garden quotes.
18. “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
19. “Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.” – W. Somerset Maugham
You will also enjoy our article on diamond quotes.
20. “A life filled with love, must have some thorns, but a life empty of love will have no roses.” – Anonymous
Also, check out these inspirational sunflower quotes that are filled with life lessons.
Rose quotes that will make you rethink the way you’re living your life
According to research by the Society of American Florists, giving and receiving flowers, including roses, can have positive effects on mood, well-being, and social relationships.
This statistic highlights the power of roses as a means of expressing love and gratitude and strengthening human connections.
21. “Where, you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow.” – Frances Hodgson Burnett
You will also enjoy our article on Inner Beauty Quotes.
22. “A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.” – Leo Buscaglia
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of garden quotes about the power of nature.
23. “Just remember, during the winter, far beneath the bitter snow, that there’s a seed that with the sun’s love in the spring becomes a rose.” – Leanne Rimes
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of snow quotes that celebrate the winter season.
24. “We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.” – Dale Carnegie
You will also enjoy our article on Pink quotes.
25. “This rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
26. “For the rose, though its petals be torn asunder, still smiles on, and it is never cast down.” – Rumi
27. “Beauty without virtue is like a rose without scent.” – Anonymous
28. “Life is like a rose garden – Watch for the thorns and keep the pest dust handy.” – Anonymous
29. “The world is a rose, smell it, and pass it to your friends.” – Persian Proverb
30. “Thorns and roses grow on the same tree.” – Turkish Proverb
Don’t forget to read these witty flower quotes that will remind you to smell the roses.
Rose quotes to encourage growth in your life
According to a survey conducted by the National Gardening Association, roses are the most popular flower grown in home gardens in the United States.
This statistic highlights the widespread popularity and cultural significance of roses as symbols of love, beauty, and life.
31. “Discipline trains you to put up with disappointments, every rose has a thorn.” – Sai Baba
32. “Love is a rose, but you’d better not pick it, only grows when it’s on the vine. Handful of thorns and you know you’ve missed it. Lose your love when you say the word mine.” – Linda Ronstadt
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of iconic vine quotes to make you LOL.
33. “The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose” – Kahlil Gibran
34. “True friendship is like a rose, we don’t realize its beauty until it fades.” – Anonymous
35. “You may break, you may shatter the vase, if you will, but the scent of the roses will hang round it still.” – Thomas Moore
36. “A relationship is like a rose. How long it lasts, no one knows.” – Rob Cella
37. “Forgiveness is the scent that the rose leaves on the heel that crushes it.” – Anonymous
38. “The rose is fairest when its budding new, and hope is brightest when it dawns from fears.” – Sir Walter Scott
39. “When life throws thorns, hunt for roses.” – Anonymous
40. “God gave us memories that we might have roses in December.” – J. M. Barrie
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these colorful blue quotes that will delight your senses and spark creativity.
Rose quotes to inspire and teach
According to a study published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology, exposure to nature, including flowers like roses, can have a positive impact on mental health outcomes, including decreased stress and increased feelings of happiness.
This statistic underscores the importance of nature and beauty in our lives and the potential therapeutic benefits of connecting with them.
41. “A life with love must have some thorns, but a life with no love will have no roses.” – Anonymous
42. “A woman is like a rose… If you take good care of her, you will see love blossom.” – Anonymous
43. “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” – Abraham Lincoln
44. “What a lovely thing a rose is!” – Arthur Conan Doyle
45. “It’s the time you spent on your rose that makes her so important.” – Antoine De Saint Exupéry
46. “I’d rather let you cover all my roads with thorns than with dead roses.” – Nema Al-Araby
47. “There may be many flowers in a man’s life… but only one rose.” – Anonymous
48. “The rose and the thorn, and sorrow and gladness are linked together.” – Saadi
49. “Love and a red rose can’t be hid.” – Thomas Holcroft
50. “A rose must remain with the sun and the rain or its lovely promise won’t come true.” – Ray Evans
You might also like these pineapple quotes celebrating the queen of tropical fruits.
More rose quotes and sayings
51. “Every rose has its thorn, just like every night has its dawn.” – Poison, Every Rose Has Its Thorn
52. “Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
53. “A rose does not answer its enemies with words, but with beauty.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
54. “The gentle rose offers a powerful joy known only to the heart.” – Andrew Pacholyk
55. “I love rose gold – it’s just beautiful and classy and timeless.” – Madelaine Petsch
56. “I can’t feel bad about being who I am, just like the girl next to me can’t feel bad about being who she is. Because a rose can never be a sunflower, and a sunflower can never be a rose.” – Miranda Kerr
57. “The rose that is democracy has its own thorns. We have to bear with it.” – DON SANTO
58. “Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.” – Katharine Lee Bates
59. “One rose says more than the dozen.” – Wendy Craig
60. “The Rose is without an explanation; She blooms, because She blooms.” – Angelus Silesius
61. “One rose is enough for the dawn.” – Edmond Jabes
62. “The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart.” – Unknown
63. “The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.” – George William Curtis
64. “Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.” – Katharine Lee Bates
65. “The world looks better through rosé colored glasses.” – Unknown
Don’t forget to check out these farmer quotes that will make you love the land.
Beautiful rose quotes for everyone
66. “Truths and roses have thorns about them.” — Henry David Thoreau
67. “There’s no gift more classic and more beautiful than roses.” — La La Anthony
68. “I’d rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.” — Emma Goldman
69. “Smell the roses. Smell the coffee. Whatever it is that makes you happy.” — Rita Moreno
70. “Won’t you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you.” — Richard Brinsley Sheridan
71. “What though youth gave love and roses, Age still leaves us friends and wine.” — Thomas Moore
72. “A rose to the living is more than sumptuous wreaths to the dead.” – Nixon Waterman
73. “It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses we must plant more trees.” — George Eliot
74. “As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.” — Ben Hogan
75. “An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup.” — H. L. Mencken
Rose quotes and captions for Instagram
76. “Rosé the day away.”
77. “Love is the only rose whose thorn’s prick is sweet.”
78. “Stop and smell the rosé.”
79. “It is the best time you have spent on your rose that makes your rose so important.”
80. “Where there’s a will, there’s a rosé.”
81. “True love is like little roses, sweet and fragrant in small doses.”
82. “A rose in full bloom is truly but a pretty sight, something worth wasting my time upon.”
83. “A woman is like a rose if you take good care of her, you will see love blossom.”
84. “The roses were close friends. Their friendship was almost unbeatable.”
85. “A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom.”
Poetic rose quotes
85. “But the rose leaves herself upon the brier, For winds to kiss and grateful bees to feed.” – John Keats
Check out these bee quotes for more about the flower-loving insect.
86. “Of all the flowers, methinks a rose is best.” – William Shakespeare
87. “Life is like a rose, peeping through the hardships of life to bloom with color.” – Stephanie
88. “She who loves roses must be patient and not cry out when she is pierced by thorns.” – Olga Broumas
89. “Count the roses, not the thorns.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
90. “A rose does not lose sleep because it was mocked by weeds.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
91. “Friends are the roses of life. Pick them carefully and avoid the thorns!” – Anonymous
92. “But ne’er the rose without the thorn.” – Robert Herrick
93. “I am not the rose, but I have lived near the rose.” – Geoffery Chaucer
94. “Roses, roses, roses, I thank all the roses that bloom in the Spring.” – Andy Williams
95. “Gather the rose of love whilst yet is time.” – Edmund Spenser
Lovely rose quotes
96. “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.” -Alphonse Karr
97. “Decide who you are and what your goals entail – then go for the roses. Life has little regard for those who waste time.” -Joe Huntsman, Sr.
98. “’Tis now the summer of your youth: time has not cropped the roses from your cheek, though sorrow long has washed them.” -Edward Moore
99. “And he repents in thorns that sleeps in beds of roses.” -Francis Quarles
100. “They are not long, the days of wine and roses.” -Ernest Dowson
101. “The worker must have bread, but she must have roses, too.” -Rose Schneiderman
102. “While mantling on the maiden’s cheek, Young roses kindled into thought.” -Thomas Moore
103. “We all agree now – by ‘we’ I mean intelligent people under sixty – that a work of art is like a rose. A rose is not beautiful because it is like something else. Neither is a work of art. Roses and works of art are beautiful in themselves.” -Clive Bell
104. “The moon is ripe with summer’s love; her heart wild as a rose.” -Angie Weiland-Crosby
105. “The voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses.” -e.e. cummings
Rose quotes that fuel passion
106. “Be happy, cried the Nightingale, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart’s-blood. All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover, for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though she is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is mighty. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense.” – Oscar Wilde
107. “It’s ok to feel delicate sometimes. Real beauty is in the fragility of your petals. A rose that never wilts isn’t a rose at all.” – Crystal Woods
108. “Love is a rose, but you better not pick it. It only grows when it’s on the vine. A handful of thorns and you’ll know you’ve missed it. You lose your love when you say the word ‘mine’.” – Neil Young
109. “A rose is an argument. It proclaims the triumph of beauty over brutality, of gentleness over violence, of the ephemeral over the lasting, and of the universal over the particular. The same rose bursts into bloom on the North Cape and in the Sahara desert.” – Alain Meilland
110. “One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon – instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.” – Dale Carnegie
111. “Don’t divorce your wife: bring her a dozen roses; the shock will kill her, and you can use the roses for the funeral.” – Evan Esar
112. “No rose without a thorn.” – French Proverb
113. “The Rainbow comes and goes, And lovely is the Rose.” – William Wordsworth
114. “The air was fragrant with a thousand trodden aromatic herbs, with fields of lavender, and with the brightest roses blushing in tufts all over the meadows.” – William Cullen Bryant
115. “There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Funny Rose Quotes That Will Make You Want To Be Around Flowers
116. “Can anyone remember love? It’s like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.” — Arthur Miller
117. “There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.” — Henri Matisse
118. “But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
119. “I never promised you a rose garden.” — Traian Basescu
120. “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” — William Shakespeare
121. “I like roses as red as blood. I smell lilies as white as milk. I grow irises as purple as my dreams. So, let me give you peonies as pink my kiss.” — Alena Shubina Lis
122. “A red rose is not selfish because it wants to be a red rose. It would be horribly selfish if it wanted all the other flowers in the garden to be both red and roses.” — Oscar Wilde
123. “The red rose whispers of passion And the white rose breathes of love; O, the red rose is a falcon, And the white rose is a dove.” — John Boyle O’Reilly
124. “Rose never propagandizes its fragrant, but its own fragrance spreads surrounding.” — Sukarno
125. “A rose dreams of enjoying the company of bees, but none appears. The sun asks: Aren’t you tired of waiting? Yes, answers the rose, but if I close my petals, I will wither and die.” — Paulo Coelho
Heart Warming Rose Quotes
126. “In a world full of roses, stand out like a dandelion in the middle of a green, plush lawn.” — June Stoyer
127. “Oh, dear! Is Summer over? I heard a rosebud moan, When first her eyes she opened, And found she was alone.” — Oiver Herford
128. “The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot.” — Salvador Dali
129. “September sky never looked more charming; or the sublime petals of the rose looked so graceful.” ― Avijeet Das
130. “A rose in a desert can only survive on its strength, not its beauty.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
131. “Only when your love of roses is greater than your fear of thorns can you grow a beautiful garden.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
132. “Teaching you how to grow a garden is better than giving you a thousand roses.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
133. “A thorn is a rose’s friend but a gardener’s enemy.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
134. “Roses shouldn’t waste their thorns on each other.” ― Heather Herrman
135. “As delicate as flower, as tender as rose petals, choosing to be tender and kind in a harsh environment is not weakness, it’s courage.” ― Luffina Lourduraj
Short Rose Quotes By Matshona Dhliwayo
136. “Plucking a rose only proves you desire it, but nurturing it proves you love it.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
137. “Life may be a bed of roses, but roses still have thorns.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
138. “Don’t pluck a rose’s petals and then ask the rose why it is sad.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
139. “Love is the softest rose in the soul’s garden.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
140. “A rose’s prick is better than a daisy’s kiss.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
141. “A flawed rose is better than a flawless dandy lion.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
142. “Learn from roses; even when trampled they give off perfume, not despair.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
143. “A daisy blooming in a desert is worth more than a rose blossoming in a rainforest.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
144. “A rose’s beautiful scent is extracted only when it is crushed.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
145. “Be like a rose; no matter how many thorns you encounter in life, bloom.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
Rose Quotes For Their Beautiful Scent
146. “Perez Hilton is an irritating wasp in the beautiful rose garden that is my life.” — Lily Allen
147. “A Rose is sweeter in the budde than full blowne.” — John Lyly
148. “Sudden a thought came like a full-blown rose, Flushing his brow.” — John Keats
149. “Every rose that is sweet-scented within, That rose is telling of the secrets of the Universal.” — Rumi
150. “A crown of roses is also a crown of thorns.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
151. “I shall smile when wreaths of snow Blossom where the rose should grow.” — Emily Bronte
152. “My desk is covered with talismans: pieces of rose quartz, wishing stones from a favorite beach.” — Dani Shapiro
153. “The beauty and the scent of roses can be used as a medicine and the sun rays as a food.” — Nikola Tesla
154. “How red the rose that is the soldie.” — Wallace Stevens
155. “The instant trivial as it is is all we have unless-unless things the imagination feeds upon, the scent of the rose, startle us anew.” — William Carlos Williams
Iconic Rose Quotes About Beauty
156. “Just like the rose holds her beauty among the thorns, we can gather our strength from the most unlikely places.” ― Christine Evangelou
157. “She is a rose, Jest. Lovely on the eyes, yes, but such thorns are not to be ignored.” ― Marissa Meyer
158. “I looked at you and only saw beautiful because legendary is the ability of a woman’s mind to weave fields of roses from thorns.” ― J. Autherine
159. “Roses are teaching that the beauty of life will bloom, once you have taught yourself the lessons given by living with the thorns.” ― Grigoris Deoudis
160. “Why are roses kept for their blossoms rather than shunned for their thorns?” ― J. Aleksandr Wootton
161. “I have brought you the rose of love, and you have crowned me, in these dark hours, with their thorns.” ― Sir Kristian Goldmund Aumann
162. “The one who was afraid of the pricking roses, plunged himself into an abyss without petals.” ― Nur Bedeir
163. “Like freshly cut roses, I place life in a vase of love.” ― Kamand Kojouri
164. “Wild roses are fairest, and nature is a better gardener than art.” ― Louisa May Alcott
165. “Her lips? The early morning rose would wither on the branch if it could feel envy.” ― William Shakespeare
Rose Quotes to Unfold the Beauty of Life
166. “The beautiful, passionate, ruined South, the land of magnolias and music, of roses and romance . . . living on the memory of crushing defeats.” ― Oscar Wilde
167. “Few would dispute with the rose her claim to be the queen of flowers, for where is her equal to be found? Is she not God’s masterpiece?” ― Patience Strong
168. “The surest way to wake up and smell the roses every day is to go to sleep face down in the flower bed.” ― Argus Hamilton
169. “I haven’t much time to be fond of anything. But when I have a moment’s fondness to bestow, most times the roses get it.” ― Wilkie Collins
170. “Beware of prejudice; light is good in whatsoever lamp it is burning; a rose is beautiful in whatever garden it may bloom.” ― Abdu’l-Bahá
171. “Don’t let the fear of the thorn keep you from the rose.” ― Groucho Marx
172. “There is no end to the petals of the inner rose. Continue to unfold set after set of petals until you have completed your meditation session.” ― Frederick Lenz
173. “I think of love, and you, and my heart grows full and warm, and my breath stands still… I can feel a sunshine stealing into my soul and making it all summer, and every thorn, a rose.” ― Emily Dickinson
174. “I feel as if I had opened a book and found roses of yesterday sweet and fragrant, between its leaves.” ― Lucy Maud Montgomery
175. “There is no rose without thorns.” ― Pam Muñoz Ryan
Which of these rose quotes was your favorite?
We love roses for many reasons.
They are beautiful; they symbolize love, and no other flower’s scent can compare to that of a rose.
Roses can also afford us many life lessons, serving as a highly effective metaphor.
Hopefully, the above quotes will encourage growth and help you move forward.
Did you enjoy these rose quotes?
Which of the quotes resonated with you best?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share the quotes with your friends and followers.
March 9, 2022 at 6:45 PM
Entered your site seeking the author of the quote ” Some complain that God put thorns among roses , others give thanks that God put roses among thorns .”
Found two similar quotes, on your lists , one by Alphonse Karr , and from Abraham Lincoln , thanks !
Very moved by a quote from the great golfer , Ben Hogan :—
” As you walk down the fairway of life , you must smell the roses , for you only get to play one round . ”
This is a quote i try to follow , and i will promote this quote ( with connection to Ben Hogan ! ) in the future . Thank you !