It should not take a personal tragedy or setback to appreciate your life and be grateful for all the things you love. Sometimes it is nice to just hit the pause button and take a deep breath to get an inventory for all the ways your life is incredible and makes you happy. Here are 20 quotes I keep on my desk as a gentle reminder of why I love my life, enjoy…
1. Let’s start with one from Jules Renard, “As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to love it more and more.” In my youth I wanted certainty and answers. As I have aged I have realized that the world is not really black and white. I have learned to appreciate the grey areas. As we get comfortable with having more questions than answers we learn to enjoy the journey more and focus on the destination less.
2. Many people have been given credit for the quote “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.”
3. When things do not work out as I imagined, Eleanor Roosevelt reminds us that “Today is the oldest you’ve ever been and the youngest you’ll ever be again. Enjoy it.”
4. It was Abraham Lincoln who said “And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.“ Whichever you prefer everyone can agree that life is about quality over quantity. We have no idea how long we have so just make the most of your time and enjoy each day to the fullest!
5. So how do you want to spend that precious time? “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot” says Michael Althsuler.
6. You have a choice every day to be happy and make the most of your time. Don’t waste one minute because you will never get that time back. According to Annie Dillard. “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” It is easy to get caught up in a routine and let life pass you by so be mindful and present not just going through the motions and make sure you are measuring what matters most.
7. And isn’t Bob Dylan right when he said “A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do.” Isn’t that everyone’s definition of a dream job after all?
8. After all,“Success is not a place at which one arrives but rather the spirit with which one undertakes and continues the journey” says Alex Noble.
9. And according to Dale Carnegie, “Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.”
10. Or saying it another way, “Happiness is not having what you want. It is appreciating what you have.”So no matter who you prefer, they all agree that success comes from achievement and accomplishment, and happiness is attained from appreciating and feeling grateful for what you attain and where you are in life.
Inspirational quotes about loving your life
11. Dr. Seuss has a great philosophy on loving life. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
12. Another rule of thumb that has served me well over the years is”If you do what you need to do when you need to do it, then someday, you may be able to do what you want to do when you want to do it.” It may have been a slog in my 20s but now that I am in my 50s all that hard work is paying off!
13. Loving life is about realizing that “Happiness, not in another place, but this place… not for another hour, but this hour…” it is about making the most of the here and now, appreciating what you have and making the best of it.
14. Even Miles Davis admits that “Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” Happiness is a process, it takes time and a lot of effort to be happy with yourself. Practice makes perfect.
15. You know you’ve made it when you realize that “Being rich is having money; being wealthy is having time.”
16. And even when things do not work out as you hoped, listen to Marilyn Monroe,“Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
17. In summary, maybe Robert McPhillips was right “Happiness is the experience of loving life. Being happy is being in love with that momentary experience. And love is looking at someone or even something and seeing the absolute best in him or her or it. Love is happiness with what you see. So love and happiness really are the same thing … just expressed differently.”
18. So I guess it is true that “The happiest people don’t have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything.”
19. When I started my company 15 years ago I realized that “If you don’t build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs.”That has helped me love life in a way working for others never did!
20. And finally, Denis Waitley leaves us with this thought, “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”
“Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” –Margaret Lee Runbeck
More quotes about loving life
21. “It’s a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.” – Germany Kent
22. “You have the approval of yourself. That’s quite enough for we who know true inner peace!” – Charmaine Smith Ladd
23. “Don’t love what you do, love who you are.” – J.R. Rim
24. “Unless you learn how to love yourself first, you will not be able to truly love anyone else.” – Camilla Dorand
25. “It doesn’t matter what others think. This is about YOU. Create a life that you genuinely love with your whole heart and start with yourself.” – Brittany Burgunder
26. “When you don’t get love, learn to love yourself more!” – Avijeet Das
27. “Love your life but don’t live your life for love!” – Avijeet Das
28. “Live your life in such a way that you can say I love my life and really mean it.” – TemitOpe Ibrahim
29. “Invest your time to know yourself. Things which are meant for you follows you in your way.” – Giridhar Alwar
30. “Take a deep breath and pause for one minute without doing anything! There did you feel the magic?” – Avijeet Das
July 29, 2020 11:00 AM EST