What does it mean to be insane? There are mental illnesses such as schizophrenia which used to result in the sufferer being called insane, but these quotes aren’t really about the medical standard of insanity. These insanity quotes are more about having people tell you that you are insane because you do not agree with their societal view, or you have “crazy” dreams.
Maybe you have so much worry and stress happening that you don’t feel like yourself, and think your sanity is slipping due to the madness of the world around us.
These quotes about insanity will help answer what separates sane and insane. They will explore the insanity that is this life, and show how someone’s insane view might be beneficial for the world. Or maybe, they will just make you laugh and question your own sanity.
Insanity quotes on the line between sane and insane
1. “I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”― Edgar Allan Poe
2. “The Edge… There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”― Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
3. “You can’t be old and wise if you were never young and crazy.”― Chris Brown
4. “The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”― Bruce Feirstein
5. “The manic relief that comes from the fantasy that we can with one savage slash cut the chains of the past and rise like a phoenix, free of all history, is generally a tipping point into insanity, akin to believing that we can escape the endless constraints of gravity, and fly off a tall building. “I’m freeeee… SPLAT!”.”― Stefan Molyneux
6. “I may be crazy but it keeps me from going insane.” – Waylon Jennings
7. “A long time ago I stopped wondering why there are so many crazy people. What surprises me now is that there are so many sane ones.”― Rachel Khong
8. “I myself spent nine years in an insane asylum and I never had the obsession of suicide, but I know that each conversation with a psychiatrist, every morning at the time of his visit, made me want to hang myself, realizing that I would not be able to cut his throat.”― Antonin Artaud
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of suicide quotes that can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
9. “Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked.”― Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
10. “Only, as long as we’re going insane we may as well go the whole way. A mere shred of sanity is of no value.”―S. S. Van Dine
11. “Madness and insanity are two terms that are so vague and relative that you can’t really apportion proper values to them. The only thing I can think of that has any use it functional and dysfunctional. Are you working as well? In which case, it doesn’t matter if you are mad.”―Alan Moore
Insanity quotes about life
12. “Don’t worry if people think you’re crazy. You are crazy. You have that kind of intoxicating insanity that lets other people dream outside of the lines and become who they’re destined to be.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
13. “It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”― Philip K. Dick, VALIS
14. “Sane is boring.”― R. A. Salvatore
15. “Being crazy isn’t enough.”― Dr. Seuss
16. “To be heroic is to be courageous enough to die for something; to be inspirational is to be crazy enough to live a little.”― Criss Jami
17. “The best things in life are crazy.”― Emme Rollins
18. “Life is absolutely insane. Yes, life is insane but the great wisdom lies in choosing your insanity wisely.”— Paulo Coelho
19. “The reason life works at all is that not everyone in your tribe is nuts on the same day.”― Anne Lamott
20. “I know you think I’m crazy. Maybe that’s because I am. About life, about this moment, about you.”― Crystal Woods
21. “We are all born mad. Some remain so.” – Samuel Beckett
Insanity quotes on how your insanity might change the world
22. “It’s not like I planned it. I never woke up from some rosy dream and said, “Okay, world, today I’m gonna spaz.”― Shannon Celebi
23. “When the whole world is crazy, it doesn’t pay to be sane.”― Terry Goodkind
24. “It’s okay to be crazy and scared and brave at the same time!”― Kelly Epperson
25. “Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world usually do.”― Steve Jobs
26. “Craziness is what makes the world go round, without crazy, there wouldn’t be passion.” – Wes Campton
27. “Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we’re being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I’m liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That’s what’s insane about it.” ― John Lennon
28. “The wisdom of insecurity.’ This is the ability to flow with the changes, to see everything as a process of change, to relax with uncertainty.”― Jack Kornfield
29. “I do not oppose the insane asylum—but I abhor and condemn the cutthroat system that robs man of his reason, drives him to insanity and makes the lunatic asylum an indispensable adjunct to every civilized community.”― Eugene V. Debs
30. “The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”―Jack Kerouac
Funny insanity quotes
31. “If you’re going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you’re going to be locked up.” – H.S. Thompson
32. “The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is suffering from a mental illness. Look at your 3 best friends. If they’re ok, then it’s you.”― Rita Mae Brown
33. “It’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
34. “You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody’s crazy.” – Charles Manson
35. “A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.”― Franz Kafka (see more Franz Kafka quotes)
36. “I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.”―Unknown
37. “We don’t just embrace INSANITY here. We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.”―Anonymous
38. “Love is a temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder.”―Ambrose Bierce
Insanity quotes that will make you question normalcy
39. “Sane is the insanity most call normality put forth by society.”― Erik Till
40. “We share out craziness, our neuroses, our little bit of screwed-up-ness that comes from our family. We share it. And it feels like love.”―Unknown
41. “Stubbornness and staunch, they are both the same things from different points of view, such crazy and eccentric.”― Toba Beta
42. “Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – R.A. Wilson
43. “Sometimes there’s no cure for the crazy.” Dale sighed, stroking my hair. “I think we all just have to keep loving through it. Maybe that’s the cure.”― Emme Rollins
44. “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.” – H.S. Thompson
45. “Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of society only because their intelligence isn’t understood.” – Weihui Zhou
46. “Insanity is relative. Who sets the norm.”― Charles Bukowski (see more Charles Bukowski quotes)
47. “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”―Friedrich Nietzsche
48. “You’ve been on the edge of insanity your entire life, haven’t you? So many people called you crazy you actually started to believe it. You wondered if they were right. You wondered if you could fix it. You thought if you could just try a little harder, be a little better, smarter, nicer – you thought the world would change its mind about you. You blamed yourself for everything.”―Tahereh Mafi
49. “If being crazy means living life as if it matters, then I don’t care if we are completely insane.”―Unknown
50. “I smile because you’ve all finally driven me insane.”―Anonymous
What did you learn from these insanity quotes?
I hope you are feeling a little calmer than before you started reading, if for no other reason, then you got to take a quick break from the pressure around you. If you are a person who feels they thrive in the insanity, there were even a few quotes thrown in for you!
As Albert Einstein said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Do you believe that? Edison said, “I didn’t fail at 1,000 times at making a light bulb. The light bulb was an invention of 1,000 steps.” I wonder how many people thought he was insane? Can you imagine where we would be without modern lighting…CRAZY!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these thoughtful insanity quotes? Leave me a comment and share your thoughts!
January 17, 2020 7:20 AM EST