Insanity Quotes To Help You Stay Sane in the Chaos That is Life
February 2, 2023 5:00 AM EST
What does it mean to be insane?
There are mental illnesses such as schizophrenia which used to result in the sufferer being called insane, but these quotes aren’t really about the medical standard of insanity.
These insanity quotes are more about having people tell you that you are insane because you do not agree with their societal view, or you have “crazy” dreams.
Maybe you have so much worry and stress happening that you don’t feel like yourself, and think your sanity is slipping due to the madness of the world around us.
You may also enjoy our article on:
These quotes about insanity will help answer what separates sane and insane.
They will explore the insanity that is this life, and show how someone’s insane view might be beneficial for the world.
Or maybe, they will just make you laugh and question your own sanity.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Insanity quotes on the line between sane and insane
1. “I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”― Edgar Allan Poe
You will also enjoy our article on Phoenix quotes.
2. “We are all born mad. Some remain so.” – Samuel Beckett
You will also enjoy our article on edgar allan poe quotes.
3. “You can’t be old and wise if you were never young and crazy.”― Chris Brown
You will also enjoy our article on mental health quotes.
4. “The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”― Bruce Feirstein
You will also enjoy our article on Friedrich Nietzsche quotes.
5. “Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world usually do.”― Steve Jobs
You will also enjoy our article on depression quotes.
6. “Craziness is what makes the world go round, without crazy, there wouldn’t be passion.” – Wes Campton
You will also enjoy our article on positive energy quotes.
7. “I may be crazy but it keeps me from going insane.” – Waylon Jennings
You will also enjoy our article on monday motivation quotes.
8. “It’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
You will also enjoy our article on joker quotes.
9. “The reason life works at all is that not everyone in your tribe is nuts on the same day.”― Anne Lamott
You will also enjoy our article on dedication quotes.
10. “When the whole world is crazy, it doesn’t pay to be sane.”― Terry Goodkind
You will also enjoy our article on universe quotes.
Insanity quotes about life
11. “Madness and insanity are two terms that are so vague and relative that you can’t really apportion proper values to them. The only thing I can think of that has any use it functional and dysfunctional. Are you working as well? In which case, it doesn’t matter if you are mad.” ― Alan Moore
You will also enjoy our article on worry quotes.
12. “Don’t worry if people think you’re crazy. You are crazy. You have that kind of intoxicating insanity that lets other people dream outside of the lines and become who they’re destined to be.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
You will also enjoy our article on beautiful smile quotes.
13. “It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”― Philip K. Dick, VALIS
You will also enjoy our article on steven wright quotes.
14. “Sane is boring.”― R. A. Salvatore
You will also enjoy our article on witty quotes.
15. “Being crazy isn’t enough.”― Dr. Seuss
16. “To be heroic is to be courageous enough to die for something; to be inspirational is to be crazy enough to live a little.”― Criss Jami
17. “The best things in life are crazy.”― Emme Rollins
18. “Life is absolutely insane. Yes, life is insane but the great wisdom lies in choosing your insanity wisely.”— Paulo Coelho
19. “Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked.”― Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
20. “I know you think I’m crazy. Maybe that’s because I am. About life, about this moment, about you.”― Crystal Woods
21. “The Edge… There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”― Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
Insanity quotes on how your insanity might change the world
22. “It’s not like I planned it. I never woke up from some rosy dream and said, “Okay, world, today I’m gonna spaz.”― Shannon Celebi
23. “Only, as long as we’re going insane we may as well go the whole way. A mere shred of sanity is of no value.”―S. S. Van Dine
24. “It’s okay to be crazy and scared and brave at the same time!”― Kelly Epperson
25. “The manic relief that comes from the fantasy that we can with one savage slash cut the chains of the past and rise like a phoenix, free of all history, is generally a tipping point into insanity, akin to believing that we can escape the endless constraints of gravity, and fly off a tall building. “I’m freeeee… SPLAT!”.”― Stefan Molyneux
26. “A long time ago I stopped wondering why there are so many crazy people. What surprises me now is that there are so many sane ones.”― Rachel Khong
27. “Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we’re being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I’m liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That’s what’s insane about it.” ― John Lennon
28. “The wisdom of insecurity.’ This is the ability to flow with the changes, to see everything as a process of change, to relax with uncertainty.”― Jack Kornfield
29. “I do not oppose the insane asylum—but I abhor and condemn the cutthroat system that robs man of his reason, drives him to insanity and makes the lunatic asylum an indispensable adjunct to every civilized community.”― Eugene V. Debs
30. “The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” ― Jack Kerouac
Funny insanity quotes
31. “If you’re going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you’re going to be locked up.” – H.S. Thompson
32. “The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four people is suffering from a mental illness. Look at your 3 best friends. If they’re ok, then it’s you.”― Rita Mae Brown
33. “I myself spent nine years in an insane asylum and I never had the obsession of suicide, but I know that each conversation with a psychiatrist, every morning at the time of his visit, made me want to hang myself, realizing that I would not be able to cut his throat.”― Antonin Artaud
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of suicide quotes that can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
34. “You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody’s crazy.” – Charles Manson
35. “A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.”― Franz Kafka (see more Franz Kafka quotes)
36. “I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.”―Unknown
37. “We don’t just embrace INSANITY here. We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.”―Anonymous
38. “Love is a temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder.”―Ambrose Bierce
Insanity quotes that will make you question normalcy
39. “Sane is the insanity most call normality put forth by society.”― Erik Till
40. “We share out craziness, our neuroses, our little bit of screwed-up-ness that comes from our family. We share it. And it feels like love.”―Unknown
41. “Stubbornness and staunch, they are both the same things from different points of view, such crazy and eccentric.”― Toba Beta
42. “Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – R.A. Wilson
43. “Sometimes there’s no cure for the crazy.” Dale sighed, stroking my hair. “I think we all just have to keep loving through it. Maybe that’s the cure.”― Emme Rollins
44. “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.” – H.S. Thompson
45. “Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of society only because their intelligence isn’t understood.” – Weihui Zhou
46. “Insanity is relative. Who sets the norm.”― Charles Bukowski (see more Charles Bukowski quotes)
47. “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”―Friedrich Nietzsche
48. “You’ve been on the edge of insanity your entire life, haven’t you? So many people called you crazy you actually started to believe it. You wondered if they were right. You wondered if you could fix it. You thought if you could just try a little harder, be a little better, smarter, nicer – you thought the world would change its mind about you. You blamed yourself for everything.”―Tahereh Mafi
49. “If being crazy means living life as if it matters, then I don’t care if we are completely insane.”―Unknown
50. “I smile because you’ve all finally driven me insane.”―Anonymous
More insanity quotes and sayings
51. “The reason I talk to myself is that I’m the only one whose answers I accept.” – George Carlin
52. “There’s a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.” – Oscar Levant
53. “In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
54. “One person’s craziness is another person’s reality.” – Tim Burton
55. “If you think anyone is sane you just don’t know enough about them.” – Christopher Moore
56. “We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
57. “One ought to hold on to one’s heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
58. “Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be.” – Toni Morrison
59. “The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” – Nikola Tesla
60. “Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage.” – Ray Bradbury
Insanity quotes that will make you think
61. “Insanity is everyone expecting you not to fall apart when you find out everything you believed in was a lie.” ― Shannon L. Alder
62. “All writers are insane!” ― Cornelia Funke
63. “That’s why crazy people are so dangerous. You think they’re nice until they’re chaining you up in the garage.” ― Michael Buckley
64. “Everybody looks a little crazy if you’re looking close enough and if you can’t look that close, then you don’t really love them.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
65. “Perfect sanity is a myth propagated by straitjacket salesmen.” ― Rebecca McKinsey
66. “Religious fanaticism is the most dangerous form of insanity.” ― Robert Graves
67. “Supposedly there’s an actual, researched link between extreme creativity and mental illness, and I believe it because I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” ― Deb Caletti
68. “His own naivety taunted him like a flicker of madness.” ― Jane Harper
69. “When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane.” ― Hermann Hesse
70. “Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night.” ― Charles Fisher
Powerful insanity quotes to ponder on
71. “Not everyone is capable of madness; and of those lucky enough to be capable, not many have the courage for it.” ― August Strindberg
72. “In a crazy world, it’s only your insanity that will keep you sane.” ― Leo Buscaglia
73. “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.” ― Robin Williams
74. “When you live in the shadow of insanity, the appearance of another mind that thinks and talks as yours does is something close to a blessed event.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
75. “Insanity is contagious.” ― Joseph Heller
76. “There is in every madman a misunderstood genius whose idea, shining in his head, frightened people, and for whom delirium was the only solution to the strangulation that life had prepared for him.” ― Antonin Artaud
77. “When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
― Mark Twain
78. “When the world goes mad, one must accept madness as sanity; since sanity is, in the last analysis, nothing but the madness on which the whole world happens to agree.” ― George Bernard Shaw
79. “Sometimes the person who is the most logical is the person whom we call insane.” ― Kevin Spacey
80. “Insanity – a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.” ― R. D. Laing
Short Insanity Quotes
81. “Staying in the house always breeds a sort of insanity. Every house is, in this sense, a hospital.” — Henry David Thoreau
82. “Insanity is arguing with reality.” — Byron Katie
83. “Falling in love is a crazy thing to do. It’s kind of like a form of socially acceptable insanity.” — Amy Adams
84. “But we are all insane, anyway. Note the mountain-climbers.” — Mark Twain
85. “The pursuit of truth, properly considered, shouldn’t stop short of insanity.” — Errol Morris
86. “Insanity is the insistence on meaning.” — Frank Bidart
87. “Insanity is just a state of mind.” — Alan Alda
88. “Acting is a way of living out one’s insanity.” — Isabelle Huppert
89. “To the sober person adventurous conduct often seems insanity.” — Aristotle
90. “I’m a perfectionist, to the point of insanity.” — Tom Ford
Insanity Quotes to Sharpen Your Wit
91. “A sane man often reasons from sound premises; an insane man commonly reasons as well, but the premises are unsound.” ― Austin O’Malley
92. “Insanity in individuals is something rare — but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
93. “Where does one go from a world of insanity? Somewhere on the other side of despair.” ― T. S. Eliot
94. “Gambling is a way of throwing money down the toilet without people calling you insane.” ― Djamel Ouis
95. “Insanity can be treated but not foolishness.” ― Sukuma Wisdom
96. “Genius is one of the many forms of insanity.” ― Cesare Lombroso
97. “For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet
98. “Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Angela Monet
99. “Insanity destroys reason, but not wit.” ― Nathaniel Emmons
100. “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” ― Albert Einstein
Mind-Bending Insanity Quotes to Challenge Your Perception
101. “It has become my mission to stop the insanity of wild cats as pets.” ― Tippi Hedren
102. “You need a little bit of insanity to do great things.” ― Henry Rollins
103. “Look, we’re all saddled with things that make us better or worse. This world is a crazy place, and I’ve chosen to make my work about that insanity.” ― Barbara Kruger
104. “Professional comedians, surprisingly, have a lack of humor. They’re insensitive to the insanity of our times.” ― Mort Sahl
105. “I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I’ve been knocking from the inside.” ― Rumi
106. “I attributed the incidence to temporary insanity, and in my own defense, I’d like to say I haven’t run over anyone since.” ― Janet Evanovich
107. “Insanity hovered close at hand, like an eager waiter at an expensive restaurant.” ― Arundhati Roy
108. “I don’t suffer from insanity. I can actually say that I enjoy it.” ― Tim Dorsey
109. “Innocence is a kind of insanity.” ― Graham Greene
110. “We are all more intelligent than we are capable, and awareness of the insanity of love has never saved anyone from the disease.” ― Alain de Botton
I hope you are feeling a little calmer than before you started reading, if for no other reason, then you got to take a quick break from the pressure around you.
If you are a person who feels they thrive in the insanity, there were even a few quotes thrown in for you!
What did you learn from these insanity quotes?
As Albert Einstein said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Do you believe that?
Edison said, “I didn’t fail at 1,000 times at making a light bulb.
The light bulb was an invention of 1,000 steps.”
I wonder how many people thought he was insane?
Can you imagine where we would be without modern lighting…CRAZY!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these thoughtful insanity quotes?
Leave me a comment and share your thoughts!
March 4, 2021 at 1:03 PM
Sanity is for the weak!