Our latest collection of Malala Yousafzai quotes that will inspire positive change.
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani female education advocate and women right’s activist who became the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.
Born on July 12, 1997, Malala developed a thirst for knowledge at a very young age.
While a teenager, she spoke out on the importance of education at a time when the local Taliban had banned girls from attending school.
She received death threats and was shot by a Taliban gunman in an assassination attempt in retaliation for her activism.
She survived and became a prominent activist for the right to education.
In 2014, Yousafzai was a co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of her efforts on behalf of children’s rights.
She has received many other honors, including being featured by Time magazine as one of the most influential people globally.
Malala Yousafzai is someone who has clearly managed to tap into her Everyday Power.
In her honor, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Malala Yousafzai quotes.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Inspirational Malala Yousafzai quotes about education and freedom
1. “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: We build our future by living in the moment and investing in the present. If your focus is on your career, then join a professional association and work on doing things right now that will benefit your future self. The little choices we make on any given day end up being the building blocks for tomorrow. Give them the attention and priority they deserve.
2. “The best way to solve problems and to fight against war is through dialogue.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Words matter and they are important to deescalating situations. Violence and war are not the answer. In your everyday life, make sure to communicate clearly and avoid miscommunication. This will help remove a lot of the tension in your life.
3. “All I want is an education, and I am afraid of no one.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Education is essential to our growth and development. Even if you don’t want to continue on in advanced schooling, make sure to learn something new everyday. Continue to read and seek out mentorship from those around you. Don’t be afraid to reach your full potential, and don’t let anyone else tell you what you are capable of.
4. “Some girls cannot go to school because of the child labor and child trafficking.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Child labor and child trafficking are sadly a reality in this world. You can help by advocating to your local elected officials, or by joining an advocacy group like UNICEF Unite! Also, if you suspect trafficking or child labor report it! You can call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888.
5. “I will get my education – if it is in home, school, or anyplace.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Education does not always happen in a school. We can learn by reading the words of others, experiencing life from someone else’s perspective, or hands on experience with a skill. Keep learning always!
6. “I say I am stronger than fear.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Fear is one of the biggest roadblocks to moving forward in our lives. How you speak to yourself about your fear matters. No one is saying that there is anything wrong with feeling fear. Just remind yourself that you are strong and capable and brave. Then take that first baby step and crush your goals.
7. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Speak up for what you believe in, and recognize the power each us holds as people. The only limits that exist in our lives are the ones we place on ourselves. When you believe that you can make a difference, then you will! It doesn’t matter if nobody else speaks up with you at first. They are likely facing their own fear and limits. Inspire someone else to find their voice by using yours.
8. “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Now, most of us do not speak up or face our fears for reasons like being afraid of looking stupid, being rejected, or failing. However, there are people who are afraid for their lives if they speak up. These people have been silenced. Not by their own limits, but through injustice. If their voice was powerless though, it wouldn’t be worth the effort to force them into silence. Use your voice if you can!
9. “It is very important to know who you are. To make decisions. To show who you are.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Knowing who you are is essential to your well-being. How can you know you are on the path that is right for you, if you do not know who you are? Take stock of how you feel in your life. Does it feel right, or do you feel like you are living a lie? Get to know yourself through meditation, self-reflection, and experiencing new things.
10. “We were scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: When we witness people being brave, it is easy to assume they are not feeling fear. We think our fear must be greater than theirs, because they are able to do something we do not think we ever could. The truth is they are afraid. Their fear is not smaller than yours, their belief in themselves is bigger.
Malala Yousafzai quotes that inspire hope
11. “For my brothers, it was easy to think about the future. They can be anything they want. But for me it was hard and for that reason I wanted to become educated and empower myself with knowledge.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Girls deserve the same opportunity to learn, dream, and plan for their futures as boys do! Every human being on this planet should be able to live a life that feeds their soul. Education and knowledge are the pathways to empowerment and living the future you deserve.
12. “In countries other than Pakistan – I won’t necessarily call them ‘Western’ – people support me. This is because people they respect others. They don’t do this because I am a Pashtun or a Punjabi, a Pakistani, or an Iranian, they do it because of one’s words and character. This is why I am being respected and supported there.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: We are all humans, regardless of what other labels the world ascribes to us. That should mean that everyone is due basic respect. If someone’s words and character resonate with you and you choose to support them, then whatever else they might be should not matter.
13. “I don’t know why people have divided the whole world into two groups, west and east. Education is neither eastern nor western. Education is education and it’s the right of every human being.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: There are far too many things that divide us in this world. We are more alike than we think, but even if we weren’t, we should be able to celebrate our differences and learn from one another. Be kind, compassionate, respectful, and open minded out there!
14. “Some people only ask others to do something. I believe that, why should I wait for someone else? Why don’t I take a step and move forward.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: Take charge of your life and recognize your own power. You do not have to wait around for someone to give you an opportunity, teach you something new, or help you. You can create your own opportunities, take initiative to learn a new skill, and help yourself.
15. “Think life is always dangerous. Some people get afraid of it. Some people don’t go forward. But some people, if they want to achieve their goal, they have to go. They have to move… We have seen the barbaric situation of the 21st century in Swat. So why should I be afraid now?” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: There are scary situations beyond our control in this life. However, most often the things that scare us in life are our own fears of failure, success, or change. Don’t be afraid. Move forward and get to where your life is calling you to be. Maslow referred to this need to reach out potential as self-actualization, and it is the ultimate goal of being human.
16. “Books can capture injustices in a way that stays with you and makes you want to do something about them. That’s why they are so powerful.” – Malala Yousafzai
17. “And also I didn’t want my future to be just sitting in a room and be imprisoned in my four walls and just cooking and giving birth to children. I didn’t want to see my life in that way.” – Malala Yousafzai
18. “Once I had asked God for one or two extra inches in height, but instead, he made me as tall as the sky, so high that I could not measure myself… By giving me this height to reach people, he has also given me great responsibilities.” – Malala Yousafzai
19. “I believe it’s a woman’s right to decide what she wants to wear and if a woman can go to the beach and wear nothing, then why can’t she also wear everything?” – Malala Yousafzai
20. “There should be no discrimination against languages people speak, skin color, or religion.” – Malala Yousafzai
21. Dear sisters and brothers, we realize the importance of light when we see darkness.” – Malala Yousafzai
22. “What is interesting is the power and the impact of social media… So we must try to use social media in a good way.” – Malala Yousafzai
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of thought-provoking social media quotes.
Malala Yousafzai quotes that inspire positive change
23. “Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.” – Malala Yousafzai
24. “I don’t want to be remembered as the girl who was shot. I want to be remembered as the girl who stood up.” – Malala Yousafzai
25. “In some parts of the world, students are going to school every day. It’s their normal life. But in other part of the world, we are starving for education… it’s like a precious gift. It’s like a diamond.” – Malala Yousafzai
26. The terrorists thought they would change my aims and stop my ambitions, but nothing changed in my life except this: weakness, fear and hopelessness died. Strength, power and courage were born.” – Malala Yousafzai
27. “There are many problems, but I think there is a solution to all these problems; it’s just one, and it’s education.” – Malala Yousafzai
28. “If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.” – Malala Yousafzai
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of world peace quotes to give you hope for humanity.
Other inspirational Malala Yousafzai quotes
29. “I raise up my voice not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard, we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
Everyday Application: We can not succeed when people are held back for simply being who they are. Man or women, black or white, gay or straight, we are all people with rights, feelings, and dreams. If you are in a position to use your voice and resources to help others, and that is something you feel called to do, then lean into that and create as much change as you can.
30. “If one man can destroy everything, why can’t one girl change it?” – Malala Yousafzai
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes for girls for young women of all ages.
31. “Let us pick up our books and our pens, they are the most powerful weapons.” – Malala Yousafzai
32. “The extremists are afraid of books and pens, the power of education frightens them. they are afraid of women.” – Malala Yousafzai
33. “With guns you can kill terrorists, with education you can kill terrorism.” – Malala Yousafzai
34. “I don’t want revenge on the Taliban, I want education for sons and daughters of the Taliban.” – Malala Yousafzai
35. “Our men think earning money and ordering around others is where power lies. They don’t think power is in the hands of the woman who takes care of everyone all day long, and gives birth to their children.” – Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai Nobel Peace Prize Speech
Which of these Malala Yousafzai quotes was your favorite?
Malala Yousafzai has inspired the world to advocate for girls to have adequate, safe access to education.
Despite receiving death threats and being shot, Yousafzai had the courage to grow her advocacy into an international movement.
Her words and actions offer inspiration and hope to people all over the world.
Hopefully, the above quotes have inspired you to never call it quits.
Did you enjoy these Malala Yousafzai quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Check out Malala Yousafzai on MasterClass where she teaches Creating Change.