Have you ever questioned the meaning of life? If yes, these meaning of life quotes can help point you in the right direction.
What is the meaning of life? This is a question that has existed for all of time. As intelligent people, we look for what our purpose is during our time on the earth. We want reassurance that it’s not simply to spend our days working and toiling then pass away and be done.
There is more to life than that. There are many things that we can use our time on this planet to accomplish and messages that we can spread.
These meaning of life quotes provide more insight, encouragement, and motivation that you can draw upon.
Don’t forget to also check out these thought-provoking time flies quotes about life.
Powerful meaning of life quotes
1. “Finding meaning in your life is not a difficult thing, but it is harder than living a numb, fast-paced superficial life.” – Juanita Gomez
2. “God has a purpose for your pain, a reason for your struggle and a gift for your faithfulness. Don’t give up.” ― Anonymous
3. “You are not one type, nor belong to one category. You are a unique blend of personality needs. Live your needs for total fulfillment.” – Diana Detinger
4. “Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.” – Joseph Campbell
5. “To believe in immortality is one thing, but it is first needful to believe in life.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
6. “Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have – and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life.” – Philip Appleman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of simplicity quotes to encourage a positive mindset.
7. “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.” – Les Brown
8. “The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The work of life is to develop it. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.” – David Viscott
9. “The meaning of life is not only to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
10. “To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Meaning of life quotes to learn from
11. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Pablo Picasso
12. “I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.” – Joseph Campbell
13. “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for a newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
14. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
15. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
16. “It is not what we get. But who we become, what we contribute… that gives meaning to our lives.” – Tony Robbins
17. “Life is meaningless only if we allow it to be. Each of us has the power to give life meaning, to make our time and our bodies and our words into instruments of love and hope.” – Thomas Head Raddall
18. “When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it.” – W. Clement Stone
True meaning of life quotes
19. “For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person’s life at a given moment.” – Viktor E. Frankl
20. “If there is meaning in life at all, then there must be meaning in suffering.” – Viktor E. Frankl
21. “Each man must look to himself to teach him the meaning of life. It is not something discovered: it is something molded.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
22. “Your life would never have a meaning if you don’t have a goal or purpose.” – Sunday Adelaja
23. “Embrace your struggles. They are making you the person you were meant to be.” – Avijeet Das
24. “Do not fear the conflict, and do not flee from it; there are no struggles, there is no Virtue.” – Joyram
25. “It’s only after you’ve stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to change, grow, and transform.” – Roy T. Bennett
26. “At the end of the day, let there be no excuses, no explanation, no regrets.” – Steve Maraboli
27. “Difficulties in your life don’t come to destroy you, but to help you realize your hidden potential.” – Anonymous
28. Your life is your message to the world. Make sure it’s inspiring.” ― Anonymous
Deep meaning of life quotes
29. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” ― Joshua J. Marine
30. “Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress.” – Unknown
31. “Challenges are what make life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” – Joshua Marine
32. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist.” – Oscar Wilde
33. “Do not let your grand ambitions stand in the way of small but meaningful accomplishments.” – Bryant H. McGill
34. “It is better to have a meaningful life and make a difference than to merely have a long life.” – Bryant H. McGill
35. “Believe in yourself, take on your challenges, dig deep within yourself to conquer fears. Never let anyone bring you down. You got to keep going.” – Chantal Sutherland
Funny meaning of life quotes
36. “Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.” – Elbert Hubbard
37. “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a Ride!’” – Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
38. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.” – Stephen Hawking
39. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
40. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
41. “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” –Marjorie Pay Hinckley
42. “Life is like a ten-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” – Charles M. Schulz
43. “Life doesn’t imitate art, it imitates bad television.” – Woody Allen
44. “Life is like a sewer…what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.” – Tom Lehrer
45. “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.” – George V. Higgins
46. “Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.” – Anonymous
47. “Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” – Dr.Seuss
48. “There’s an old saying, ‘Life begins at forty.’ That’s silly. Life begins every morning you wake up.” – George Burns
49. “Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, ‘Is life a multiple-choice test or is it a true or false test?’ …Then a voice comes to me out of the dark and says, ‘We hate to tell you this but life is a thousand-word essay.'” – Charles M. Schulz
50. “I think I’ve discovered the secret of life – you just hang around until you get used to it.” – Unknown
Other insightful meaning of life quotes
51. “You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.” – Albert Camus
52. “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” – Roy T. Bennett
53. “There is not one big cosmic meaning for all; there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person.” – Anaïs Nin
54. “The literal meaning of life is whatever you’re doing that prevents you from killing yourself.” – Albert Camus
55. “The secret to life is meaningless unless you discover it yourself.” – W. Somerset Maugham
56. “Life has to be given meaning because of the obvious fact that it has no meaning.” – Henry Miller
57. “Life is meaningless, when we take a life we take nothing of value.” – Brent Weeks
58. “In order to lead a meaningful life, you need to cherish others, pay attention to human values and try to cultivate inner peace.” – Dalai Lama
59. “Life is a fairy tale. Live it with wonder and amazement.” – Welwyn Wilton Katz
60. “Philosophers can debate the meaning of life, but you need a Lord who can declare the meaning of life.” – Max Lucado
What did you learn from these meaning of life quotes?
Every life has a meaning and a purpose. However, it’s easy to get distracted and not focus on a real purpose. It’s easy to get lost in the trivial things of day to day life and end up wondering what you’re working for anyway.
If you struggle with feeling like your life is serving a purpose, step back. Look for ways that you can make a positive impact on the world and those around you. Look for ways to help the causes that you care about.
Your life already has meaning, you just may need to reconnect with it. If you’re feeling a little lost on how to do that, keep these quotes on hand.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these meaning of life quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.
March 4, 2021 6:00 AM EST