These hug quotes show just how much you can communicate through hugging.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and while it’s not a popular saying like that, a hug can communicate more than words can.
Tell us which hug quote made you feel warm and fuzzy in the comment section below.
Hugs are a way to celebrate and provide comfort without saying a single word.
What are the benefits of reading these hug quotes?
Sometimes there just aren’t words that can get across the message you want to share, yet a simple hug can handle it all.
It can be a powerful way to communicate a feeling with someone else.
Hugs are good for:
- Family members
- Significant others
- Anyone who wants one
Enjoy this curated list of the best hug quotes and sayings.
And don’t forget to share your opinion in the comment section below once you’re done reading.
Don’t forget to check out our collection of cuddle quotes that will have you looking for someone to squeeze.
Quotes about the power of a hug
1. “A hug is like a boomerang – you get it back right away.” – Bil Keane
2. “Feel the presence of love wrapped up within a hug.” – Robert M. Hensel
3. “A hug makes you feel good all day.” – Kathleen Keating
4. “Where I live if someone gives you a hug, it’s from the heart.” – Steve Irwin
5. “Did you know that if you visualize, you can actually hug on the phone.” – Shelley Long
6. “I wish I could just hug you all, but I’m not gonna.” – Layne Staley
7. “Children are not unforgiving. You can punish them and they will hug you in a few minutes.” – T.D. Jakes
8. “I love hugging. I wish I was an octopus, so I could hug ten people at a time.” – Drew Barrymore
9. “Everybody needs a hug. It changes your metabolism.” – Leo Buscaglia
10. “A hug a day keeps the demons at bay.” – German Proverb
Hug quotes for when someone you love gives you a hug
11. “Hugs can do great amounts of good – especially for children.” – Princess Diana
12. “I love hugging people. I still hug everybody in my meet-and-greet lines.” – Taylor Swift
13. “There’s nothing like a mama-hug.” – Terri Guillemets
14. “Sometimes a silent hug is the only thing to say.” – Robert Brault
15. “You know, food is such – it’s a hug for people.” – Rachael Ray
16. “I’d love to have a big old hug with Richard Simmons.” – Blake Shelton
17. “Laughing together is as close as you can get to a hug without touching.” – Gina Barreca
18. “Some moments can only be cured with a big squishy grandma hug.” – Dan Pearce
19. “However long a hug lasts, it doesn’t last long enough.” – Kyle Schmalenberg
20. “The mystery of God hugs you in its all-encompassing arms.” – Hildegard of Bingen
Don’t forget to read these romantic freaky quotes to share with your bae.
Hug quotes on when to give one
21. “My mom smiled at me. Her smile kind of hugged me.” – R. J. Palacio
22. “Hug me and you will see the moon. Love me and I will bring the moon to you!” – Kelly Clark
23. “Hugs and kisses are ways to express what cannot be said.” – Kacie Conroy
24. “Be a love pharmacist: dispense hugs like medicine—they are!” – Terri Guillemets
25. “Mama hugs me and I hold her back. Sometimes all you can do is hold on.” – Jasmine Warga
26. “The hug that lasts longer even after it was let go if from our mothers.” – Maria Bastida
27. “Hugs aren’t like pieces of pie. Plenty of hugs to go around.” – Bernie Mac
28. “Have you hugged someone your appreciation today?” – Terri Guillemets
29. “She had a lot of hugs to give, but not enough people to give them to.” – James Patterson
30. “Hugs are the universal medicine.” – Unknown
Don’t forget to read these I miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
Hug quotes that will make your day
31. “I’m a very physical person. I hug people more so than shake hands.” – Jaimie Alexander
32. “Having a child, that’s huge. I get to go home and hug my daughter. That’s the greatest thing in the world.” – Nick Foles
33. “Sometimes all you can do is hug a friend tightly and wish that their pain could be transferred by touch to your own emotional hard drive.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
34. “That’s what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you’re not so lovable.” – Deb Caletti
35. “The first thing I do each morning is get out of bed and give my dog, Audrey, a hug. She’s a Jack Russell. I think having an animal is a wonderful thing, particularly dogs. They are great levelers, there’s no nonsense with them, and they just want simple affection.” – Donatella Versace
36. “Had life not given me reasons to grieve, I would never have known the healing power of a hug.” – Richelle E Goodrich
37. “A kiss without a hug is like a flower without the fragrance.” – Proverb
38. “We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.” – Virginia Star
39. “Millions and millions of years would still not give me half enough time to describe that tiny instant of all eternity when you put your arms around me and I put my arms around you.” – Jacques Prevert
40. “Ken, my husband, just smelled like he belonged to me. I’m not talking about hygience. I’m talking about when you hug him, he either feels like a member of your tribe or not. It’s their scent.” – Erica Jong
41. “I don’t ever wanna come across too intimidating, so as long as I look like you can come up and give me a hug, that’s good.” – Jessica Simpson
42. “I will not play tug o’ war. I’d rather play hug o’ war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs. Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug. Where everyone kisses and everyone grins and everyone cuddles and everyone wins.” – Shel Silverstein
43. “Everyone knows that by far the happiest and universally enjoyable age of man is the first. What is there about babies which makes us hug and kiss and fondle them, so that even an enemy would give them help at that age?” – Desiderius Erasmus
44. “There’s something in a simple hug that always warms the heart. It welcomes us back home and makes it easier to part.” – Johnny Ray Ryder, Jr.
45. “I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words.” – Ann Hood
46. “With age, you get to a place where you don’t want to knock people out. You just want to give people a hug.” – Vin Diesel
47. “You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place. That’s why animals are so soft and huggy.” – Bill Watterson
48. “When the right person hugs you, it’s like medicine. I’m so grateful for those few people in my life who are good for my soul.” – Steve Maraboli
49. “The good part of having six kids is, there’s always one who wants to hug you and say, ‘Daddy, I love you.’” – John McEnroe
50. “Getting people where they want to go, reliably and happily, can make or break their ability to succeed in a work endeavor or to hug a family member at an important moment.” – Oscar Munoz
You might also like these true love quotes for the hopeless romantic.
More hug quotes and sayings
51. “They invented hugs to let people know you love them without saying anything.” – Bil Keane
52. “I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.” – Maya Angelou
53. “A hug is worth a thousand words.” – Charles Caleb Colton
54. “The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it.” – Marge Piercy
55. “When you hug someone, never be the first to let go.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
56. “Cute is when your personality shines through your looks. Like, when you see someone’s personality in the way they walk and you just feel like hugging them every time you see them.” – Natalie Portman
57. “Sometimes it’s better to put love into hugs than to put it into words.” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
58. “When I come home, my daughter will run to the door and give me a big hug, and everything that’s happened that day just melts away.” – Hugh Jackman
59. “Laughter with those that understand us is music for the soul. A hug at the right moment and a kind shoulder to lean on, Is the sprinkle of magic that keeps us walking towards hope.” – Mimi Novic
60. “A few weeks after my mom passed in November of 2013, I came back from an injury and entered the Egg Bowl in the second half against Ole Miss. I’ll never forger the feeling when I walked back out on the field. As I walked into the Egg Bowl, the crowd stood up and clapped like they were enveloping me in a giant hug.” – Dak Prescott
Hug quotes that are a little different from the rest
61. “Hug the shore; let others try the deep.” — Virgil
62. “Once the bear’s hug has got you, it is apt to be for keeps.” — Harold MacMillan
63. “Eating something fresh out of the oven is like a hug you can taste.” — Regina Brett
64. “Like the hug of someone who matters when it’s cold and you wanted to look nice, not warm.” — Sarah Millican
65. “Girdles and wire stays should have never been invented. No man wants to hug a padded bird cage.” — Marilyn Monroe
66. “If you hug to yourself any resentment against anybody else, you destroy the bridge by which God would come to you.” — Peter Marshall
67. “Being able to give someone a hug from the heart, it’s healing. It’s healing for yourself and healing for others, and we need a lot of that.” — Big Show
68. “The thing is, I’m used to handshakes. Every time someone comes for a hug, I’m very confused. I’m told that I give out the worst hugs, too.” — Naomi Osaka
69. “As I look back and connect the dots, all I want to do is go back and hug my scared young self, who took a lot of steps out of impulse not knowing what will happen.” — Arfi Lamba
70. “I went on safari and there were all these lion cubs rolling around like cats and they were so cute and I just wanted to hug them! But you can’t coz you’ll get eaten… It was really hard!” — Leigh-Anne Pinnock
Hug quotes to share with someone you love
71. “i want to / stay curled and cosied / and chocolated….forever / in my mother’s arms.” -Sanober Khan
72. “Hug while you can.” -Jay Woodman
73. “Sometimes a hug is all that you need.” -Avijeet Das
74. “An only cure for certain pain is an affectionate, pauseful, warm hug.” -Meghna Sodha
75. “I love it when I hug someone, and just when I’m about to let go. They hug me even tighter.” -Nitya Prakash
76. “I find it astonishing that in 2020, a smile or a hug has become an act of revolution.” -Kara D. Spain
77. “I knew then that this hug had been the greatest teacher of my young life.” -Meara O’Hara
78. “When I hug you I feel home!” -Avijeet Das
79. “Your biggest critic and hater is likely yourself. Give yourself a hug.” -Richie Norton
80. “If I could make everything better with a hug, I’d hug you the whole day until it was all okay.” -Dhaneshwar Dutt
Short hug quotes
81. “A hug is always the right size.” — Winnie the Pooh
82. “Hug is my mother’s word for affection.” — Roberta Indiana
83. “You can never have too many books or too many hugs.” — Gina House
84. “A hug is a smile with arms, a laugh with a stronger grip.” — Terri Guillemets
85. “Hugs are one of the most beautifully human things we can do.” — Brenda Knight
86. “My mama always told me there are few things a good hug can’t cure.” — J.T Gessinger
87. “A hug delights, warms, and charms. That must be why God gave us arms.” — Lashana Harney
88. “Putting your love into hugs is much more effective than putting it into words.” — Maria Bastida
89. “If you have loved ones today you should hug them. Memories cannot be hugged.” — Maria Bastida
90. “The most inexpensive gift you could receive that could fit all sizes and can be exchanged is a hug.” — Maria Bastida
Other beautiful hug quotes
91. “If you’re angry at a loved one, hug that person. And mean it. You may not want to hug – which is all the more reason to do so. It’s hard to stay angry when someone shows they love you, and that’s precisely what happens when we hug each other.” – Walter Anderson
92. “A hug is an amazing thing. It’s just the perfect way to show the love we’re feeling but can’t find the words to say.” – Johnny Ray Rider
93. “The world is a mess. It seems that life gets harder on a personal level each and every day. Hug and kiss those you love every day You never know when the tragedies of this world may visit your life.” – Kevin Nash
94. “I love meeting people, and I know it’s so difficult for people to come up to me and introduce themselves, so when they do, I’ll grab them and hug them. It makes their day, you know? I love that, and I get positive energy from that.” – Nicola Formichetti
95. “I’ve learned that every day you should reach out to someone. People love a warm hug or just a friendly pat on the back.” – Maya Angelou
96. “Giggle until you cry
Hug without asking why” – Terri Guillemets
97. “Hugs are great gifts… The only wrapping is arms!” – Bil Keane, Family Circus 2007
98. “You can as easily love without trusting as you can hug without embracing.” – Robert Breault
99. “My old father used to have a saying: If you made a bad bargain, hug it all the tighter.” – Abraham Lincoln
100. “Everyone wants a hug and kiss. It translates into any language.” – Georgette Mosbacher
Hug quotes to make you feel cozy
101. “Hugs make you feel psychologically more secure and together.” –Leo Buscaglia
102. “We can bring positive energy into our daily lives by smiling more, talking to strangers in line, replacing handshakes with hugs, and calling our friends just to tell them we love them.” –Brandon Jenner
103. “So many of us have loved ones and people we really care about, and the only time we show affection is when they are gone. I have preached at funerals, and you see loved ones who didn’t even say hello to dear ones when they were alive. Give them hugs, kisses while they are alive and need it.” –George Foreman
104. “I’ll put it out there: I love getting hugs.” –Nicole Kidman
105. “I wanted a good relationship with my mother, and I realized I had a choice: Either I could spend all my time angry that she didn’t give me the hugs I thought I needed, or I could understand that she hugs differently. It’s not a spread-open-the-arms, ‘come here’ hug. She hugs by sheltering me from her worries.” –Chandra Wilson
106. “I can use all the hugs I can get.” –Ron Cephas Jones
107. “I need that hug from my mom. She’s the Latin mother that hugs you and says all these sweet things to you in Spanish. It’s just comforting. She also gives me that strength.” –Diana Lopez
108. “I am all for free hugs that make people happy.” –Tejaswi Madivada
109. “Hug your mom. Hug your mom and thank your mom.” –Brian Tyree Henry
110. “Every touch and hug that I got from my grandmom and mom was therapeutic.” –Saira Banu
Comforting hug quotes
111. “Cute is when a person’s personality shines through their looks. Like in the way they walk, every time you see them you just want to run up and hug them.” – Natalie Portman
112. “Hug your loved ones, there is always an insurmountable amount of strength a single hug can bring.” – SmilingPen
113. “The good thing about hugs: when you give one, you get one.” – Diana Rowland
114. “A hug that gives you butterflies in the stomach, is everything.” – Pawan Rawal
115. “One of the best feelings in the world is when you hug someone you love, and they hug you back even tighter!” – WordsOfHeartNZ
116. “The best place in the world is inside a hug.” – J Quest
117. “Recycle kisses, hugs and smiles, they never go out of style and everybody needs one.” – Crystal DeLarm Clymer
118. “He always held her closer to his heart to keep her warm. After all, he was her summer on frigid cold days!” – Shilpa K
119. “Hugs are like fire extinguishers. It can save lives.” – Nancy Arora
120. “Share. Care. Hug like a bear.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
Heartfelt Hug Quotes To Send To Your Loved Ones
121. “Plunderous is the palate I gift to you, openly I hug the universe of our friendship expanding its outer limit.” ― Bradley Chicho
122. “Hugs are God’s way of reminding us how much we are loved.” – Gail Lynne Goodwin
123. “A hug is the bridge between two souls.” ― Anoir Ou-Chad
124. “A mother’s hug is greater than a lover’s kiss.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
125. “Whenever you hug me, I feel at home.” ― Kankane Rakhi Surendra
126. “It’s been a long since I have been at home. Can I get a hug please?” ― Kankane Rakhi Surendra
127. “A hug puts a smile on your heart.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
128. “Hugs may be silent, yet they speak volumes.” ― Carol ‘CC’ Miller
129. “The hug was a simple gesture. Perhaps, the end of the cold war. Perhaps, the fragile beginning of love.” ― Mariyam Hasnain
130. “They were giving us these incredible bear hugs, and my ribs are still aching from all of those bear hugs.” ― Craig Marberry.
Thought Provoking Hug Quotes
131. “Sometimes the right hug from the right person at the right time makes all the wrong in the world disappear.” — Sarah Ockler
132. “If you have the grace to hug someone, never miss this sacred moment.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
133. “Love affords you these three things: smiles, hugs, and kisses.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
134. “Hugs are so vital a thing that there should never be so few of them that you can count the ones you’ve had.” — Christina Engela
135. “I’m a very physical person. I hug people more than shake hands.” — Jaimie Alexander
136. “I cry at random things, like a flower, or someone giving me a present, or my sister giving me a nice hug.” — Naomie Harris
137. “A hug is a mutual act of love and affection that induces feelings of comfort, contentment, and security.” — Brenda Knight
138. “The only failure one should fear is not hugging to the purpose they see as best.” — George Eliot
139. “They say that love is more important than money, have you ever tried paying bills with a hug?” — Nishan Panwar
140. “I like pencil skirts because they hug me in all the right places.” — Mandy Moore
Which of these hug quotes resonated with you best?
Hugs are a simple thing that don’t need to be overthought.
If you find yourself in a situation with a person who is grieving, sad or just feeling down, it may be difficult to come up with the right words to say.
That’s the perfect time to simply offer a hug.
Or, if you are overjoyed with something that someone just shared and are excited for them, you can offer a simple hug.
A hug takes very little effort, but it can communicate a big message.
However, remember that some people are uncomfortable with hugs, so make sure you know they are receptive to them before you hug everyone.
Did you enjoy these warm hug quotes?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
September 13, 2022 5:00 AM EST