These self-made quotes will inspire you to take charge of your life, circumstances, and actions.
You can be successful—you just have to have the right mindset, clear goals, and be willing to do the work.
What does the term self-made even mean? We use it often, but you might still be unclear about what it entails.
The term itself refers to someone who has become rich or successful through their own actions.
Many of the wealthy and successful people in this world were born into dynasties of wealth and prestige.
However, every once in a while, a ‘regular’ person crashes through the ceiling and becomes everything they dreamed they would be.
We all like self-made success stories because they resonate with us.
They show us that if these people, who had the same advantages as you and I (and sometimes even less), can do it, there is hope for us too!
Who are some of the most popular self-made, or rags to riches, stories?
Keep reading through these self-made quotes to find out!
Short self-made quotes
These short self-made quotes may comprise a few words, but they are still insightful. Some will make you think, and others might make you laugh.
1. “Man is emphatically self-made.” — John Henry Newman
2. “Winners are not born; they are self-made.” — Pat Summitt
3. “A self-made man may prefer a self-made name.” — Learned Hand
4. “The self-made man is often proud of a poor job.” — Ethel Mumford
5. “We’re all self-made, but only successful people admit it.” — Dan Pena
6. “Leaders are not born or made—they are self-made.” — Stephen Covey
7. “After all, it’s what we’ve done that makes us what we are.” — Jim Croce
8. “He was a self-made man who owed his lack of success to nobody.” — Joseph Heller
9. “Luck is not something you can mention in the presence of self-made men.” — E. B. White
10. “Some men are self-made, but most are the revised work of a wife and children.” — Joyce Brothers
Self-made quotes from successful people to inspire you
These self-made people each have an inspiring story about their path to success. Let their words motivate you to forge your own way!
11. “You can learn from everybody.” — Sam Walton
12. “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” — Walt Disney
13. “Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” — John D. Rockefeller
14. “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” — J. K. Rowling
15. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing and falling over.” — Richard Branson
16. “If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it.” — Elon Musk
17. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” — Henry Ford
18. “I knew that if I failed, I wouldn’t regret that, but I knew the one thing I might regret is not trying.” — Jeff Bezos
19. “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.” — Oprah Winfrey
20. “People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.” — Andrew Carnegie
What it means to be self-made quotes
‘Self-made’ is one of those phrases that gets tossed around a lot. These self-made quotes will help you better understand what it means, and the sacrifices required.
21. “Being self-made means doing things your own way—and doing it without any handouts.” — Russ
22. “Being self-made is a state of mind, and once you put that mentality to work, your success will come.” — Dave East
23. “Does not every true man feel that he is himself made higher by doing reverence to what is really above him?” — Thomas Carlyle
24. “Being self-made means never making an excuse as to why you can’t take steps toward whatever your goal is.” — Nipsey Hussle
25. “Being self-made means putting yourself in position to help others put themselves in position to be successful.” — A Boogie wit da Hoodie
26. “One of the many qualities that separate self-made billionaires from the rest of us is their ability to ask the right questions.” — Justine Musk
27. “There are very few self-made millionaires, if any, who have not taken risks which would make the rest of us unable to sleep at night, or keep our food down.” — Dominic Lawson
28. “Probably the most honest “self-made person” ever was the one we heard say: “I got to the top the hard way—fighting my own laziness and ignorance every step of the way.”” — James Alexander Thom
29. “That is what we should be doing: liberating everyone’s potential, whether it’s a self-made individual, whether it’s someone taking the university route, whether it’s the apprenticeship route. They are all equal and good and worthwhile.” — Esther McVey
30. “Self-Made Men are the men who owe little or nothing to birth, relationship, friendly surroundings; to wealth inherited or to early approved means of education; who are what they are, without the aid of any favoring conditions by which other men usually rise in the world and achieve great results.” — Frederick Douglass
Are people really self-made quotes
These self-made quotes offer a different perspective and will have you questioning what you thought you knew about self-made people. Take a look and see which is your favorite.
31. “There is no such thing as a ‘self-made’ man. We are made up of thousands of others.” — George Matthew Adams
32. “We have the kind of self-made-man myth, which says that super-successful people did it themselves.” — Malcolm Gladwell
33. “I am one powerful self made up of so many selves that sometimes I throw myself a get-acquainted party.” — Eric Maisel
34. “The self-made man that some people believe is a myth? It could be because you do it on the backs of other people.” — Oscar Isaac
35. “The myth of the self-made man, has to be profoundly hypocritical: it is the self-serving demonstration that a lie is the truth.” — Che Guevara
36. “Long-term success is never achieved on our own. The phrase ‘a self-made man’ is a myth all along the way we need support.” — Isadore Sharp
37. “There’s no such thing as a self-made man. I’ve had much help and have found that if you are willing to work, many people are willing to help you.” — B. C. Forbes
38. “I don’t believe in that term ‘self-made’ – Even if it’s one single person giving you advice, that person helped you get to where you’re at today.” — Michelle Phan
39. “I once met a man who was a billionaire, and I said to him: ‘Are you a self-made man?’ – and he turned around and said: ‘No man is self-made’ ” — Christian McKay
40. “The American culture ideal of the “self-made-man,” of everyone “standing on his own feet” seemed as tragic a picture as the initiative-destroying dependence on a benevolent despot.” — Kurt Lewin
More self-made quotes to get you thinking
Some of these might inspire you, offer a new perspective, and even rub you the wrong way. They will elicit a reaction for sure.
41. “The only ‘break’ anyone can afford to rely upon is a self-made ‘break.’” — Napoleon Hill
42. “We’re all self-made men, but not very many of us have stayed on the job.” — Kin Hubbard
43. “There’s no one more obnoxious and self-righteous than the self-made man. And no one more admirable.” — Joe R. Lansdale
44. “The man who will get up will be helped up; and the man who will not get up will be allowed to stay down.” — Frederick Douglass
45. “A self-made man is a rarity and hated by the parasites that floated to fame thought their parents, relatives, and contacts.” — Al Goldstein
46. “I do not think much of the good luck theory of self-made men. It is worth but little attention and has no practical value.” — Frederick Douglass
47. “Find your purpose and fling your life out to it. Find a way or make one. Try with all your might. Self-made or never made.” — Orison Swett Marden
48. “I now realize there are millions of self-made millionaires who started with nothing. There is nothing anyone else can do that I can’t do.” — Dean Graziosi
49. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.” — Steve Jobs
50. “There is no predestination, no unfathomed mystery of life. Instead, we are self-made, independent, alone, and fragile, a biological species adapted to live in a biological world. ” — E. O. Wilson
Self-made success stories
Mark Cuban is someone most people know of.
He is the face of entrepreneurship and investment, thanks to his role on “Shark Tank.”
However, financial success was an uphill road for Mark.
He was once a door-to-door garbage bag salesman.
In fact, he once had so little money that he used to eat ketchup and mustard sandwiches.
Elon Musk, who currently holds the title of the ‘richest person in the world,’ was not born into money either.
Indeed, his mother was a dietician, and his dad was an electromechanical engineer.
He often speaks of his adversity during childhood and how he overcame it all.
Finally, there is the tale of George Soros.
The investor and businessman lived through persecution during World War II and survived.
He played a major role in shaping the financial landscape of the modern world.
If a garbage bag salesman, a man who couldn’t get a job at Netscape, and a 17-year-old refugee from a war-torn country can make it, then so can you!
It will take planning and setting goals, sacrifice, and hard work, but it is possible.
Share some of your favorite stories about successful people who are self-made with us in the comment section below.
September 20, 2022 8:00 AM EST