There’s something about winter that arouses the senses. Below you’ll find a few poignant winter quotes that will warm up your heart despite the biting cold.
What do you like about winter?
Enjoy them as you revel in the magic, the drama and the beauty of snow fall and crystal-clear icicles gathered on your window panes, doorsteps, rooftops, trees, and fields as far as your eyes can see.
Don’t forget that hot cup of cocoa, those fuzzy socks and of course, the comfy blankie. Doesn’t hurt if you’re also bundled up with a good book in tow while your favorite winter jam is playing in the background.
Here is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking winter quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
We also have a compilation of inspirational snow quotes and tips on getting motivated in winter for those who want to love the cold weather just a bit more.
Winter quotes that will arouse your senses
1. “A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn’t mean in winter.” – Patricia Briggs from “Dragon’s Blood”
2. “Autumn arrives in early morning, but spring at the close of a winter day.” – Elizabeth Bowen
3. “Blow, blow, thou winter wind, thou art not so unkind as man’s ingratitude.” – William Shakespeare
4. “‘Hear! hear!’ screamed the jay from a neighboring tree, where I had heard a tittering for some time, ‘winter has a concentrated and nutty kernel, if you know where to look for it.'” – Henry David Thoreau
5. “How many lessons of faith and beauty we should lose, if there were no winter in our year!” – Thomas Wentworth Higginson
6. “I got all my boyhood in vanilla winter waves around the kitchen stove.” – Jack Kerouac
7. “I love the scents of winter! For me, it’s all about the feeling you get when you smell pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread and spruce.” – Taylor Swift
8. “I pray this winter be gentle and kind–a season of rest from the wheel of the mind. ” – John Geddes
9. “I prefer winter and Fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape–the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show.” – Andrew Wyeth
10. “If winter helps you curl up and more that makes it one of the best of the seasons.” – Murray Pura
Winter quotes to warm up your heart
11. “In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.” – William Blake (see more William Blake quotes)
12. “In winter we behold the charms of solemn majesty and naked grandeur.” – James Ellis
13. “It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it.” – John Burroughs
14. “It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” – Charles Dickens
15. “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.” – Victor Hugo
16. “Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius.” – Pietro Aretino
17. “Nothing burns like the cold.” – George R.R. Martin
18. “The color of springtime is flowers; the color of winter is in our imagination.” – Terri Guillemets
19. “The fire is winter’s fruit.” – Arabian Proverb
20. “They who sing through the summer must dance in the winter.” – Italian Proverb
Also check out these motivational January quotes that will elevate your perspective.
Winter quotes to celebrate the season
21. “We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or the fall or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives.” – Gary Zukhav
22. “Welcome, winter. Your late dawns and chilled breath make me lazy, but I love you nonetheless. “- Terri Guillemets
23. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. ” – John Steinbeck
24. “Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken.” – Alexandra Guarnaschelli
25. “Winter is a season of recovery and preparation.” – Paul Theroux
26. “Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.” – Victor Hugo
27. “Every winter has its spring.” – H. Tuttle
28. “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” – Anne Bradstreet
29. “If winter comes, can spring be far behind?” – Percy Bysshe Shelley from “Ode to the West Wind”
30. “If you think my winter is too cold, you don’t deserve my spring.” – Erin Hanson
Winter quotes to make you see the beauty of the season
31. “In the winter she curls up around a good book and dreams away the cold.” – Ben Aaronovitch from “Broken Homes”
32. “In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
33. “No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.” – Hal Borland
34. “One kind word can warm three winter months.” – Japanese Proverb
35. “Surrendering to the fact of winter is a relief: I am grateful for these lingering days of cold. They offer me a few more weeks of quiet and slow before spring emerges, the wheel picks up speed again, and the sound of its exciting spinning fills my days.” – Kelsi Turner
36. “The winter is a slow time, but it’s not lifeless. As you huddle against the cold on a February day, you may be ready for spring to come. But all around you, there are other forms of life that are ready too.” – Beth Botts
37. “We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or the fall or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives.” – Gary Zukhav
38. “Winter is a glorious spectacle of glittering fractals complete with a soundscape and atmosphere entirely its own.” – Anders Swanson
39. “Scarves, mittens, and hats are a great way to express your personality in the cold weather.” – Brad Goreski
40. “Winter is a time to slow. To grab hold of that wheel that spins your days too quickly and give it a firm tug. To let your thoughts catch up with your body. To pin down that idea that’s been circling your mind for months. To remember that life isn’t an emergency.” – Kelsi Turner
Powerful winter quotes to inspire you
41. “Winter is nature’s sleep.” – H. S. Jacobs
42. “Winter is not a season in the North Middlewest; it is an industry.” – Sinclair Lewis
43. “Winter is not a season, it’s a celebration.” – Anamika Mishra
44. “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” – Edith Sitwell from “Taken Care Of”
45. “Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.” – Yoko Ono
46. “Winter finds out what summer lays up.” – Coryate
47. “Winter then in its early and clear stages, was a purifying engine that ran unhindered over city and country, alerting the stars to sparkle violently and shower their silver light into the arms of bare upreaching trees. It was a mad and beautiful thing that scoured raw the souls of animals and man.” – Mark Helprin
48. “Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.” – John Boswell
49. “Winter’s notion of poetry is tragedy. It knows nothing of comedy. Its laughter was frozen on its lips long ago.” – William A. Quayle
50. “There is a grandeur in winter, stern and wild it may be, but a grandeur which speaks to the soul.” – C. J. Peterson
Don’t forget to also read these uplifting April quotes to keep you pushing forward with positivity.
More winter quotes and sayings
51. “A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” – Carl Reiner
52. “Music brings a warm glow to my vision, thawing mind and muscle from their endless wintering.” – Haruki Murakami
53. “Winter is nature’s way of saying, “up yours.” – Robert Byrne
54. “Winter collapsed on us that year. It knelt, exhausted, and stayed.” – Emily Fridlund
55. “The winter will be long and bleak. Nature has a dismal aspect.” – Charles Nodier
56. “The air in his lungs is crisp and bright and difficult to breathe. Everything feels too much. Too wide and too open. Too cold and too strange.” – Erin Morgenstern
57. “For winter was coming. The days were shorter, and frost crawled up the window panes at night. Soon the snow would come. Then the log house would be almost buried in snowdrifts, and the lake and the stream would freeze.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
58. “It is deep winter with shivering cold air, but my heart is dancing with joy and spring flowers.” – Debasish Mridha
59. “Winter is the time for stories, staying fast by the glow of fire. And outside, in the darkness, the stars are brighter than you can possibly imagine.” – Isabel Greenberg
60. “Let winter come. Let the snow fall and consume Bath in a shroud of silence. Let everything feel as bound and stifled as my heart.” – Rose Tremain
Did you enjoy these winter quotes?
Many novels and films are set during winter because, perhaps, the almost melancholic nature of the season makes a great setting for romantic tales of love and triumph over adversity.
These winter quotes are proof that we’re all in this together, finding beauty and grandeur despite the white backdrop of snow Mother Nature has momentarily covered our world with.
Winter may be dreary, wet, cold and bleak but from another perspective, winter may be the perfect time to rest and re-evaluate our purpose, take a moment to breathe and re-set our timeclocks, and get ready for the springs and summers of our lives.
Which of these beautiful winter quotes is your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 20, 2021 6:00 AM EST