These empowering divorce quotes will help you get through the pain of separation.
If you or someone you know is going through a divorce, words of comfort can help soothe the soul. This collection of quotes about divorce can lift you up when you’re feeling scared, confused, angry, or sad.
Divorce can be a painful and lonely experience, but these sayings will remind you of your strength. You can heal, move on, and get through the heartbreak of this difficult time. Mending a broken heart takes time, but complete healing is possible.
Words of comfort, empowerment, and truth can uplift us during times of sorrow. If you’re struggling with complicated emotions, these divorce quotes will inspire you. You are stronger and more resilient than you know.
These quotes come from the minds of relationship experts, people who have experienced divorce, and legendary thinkers. Keep their advice and insight in mind as you continue on your journey.
Divorce quotes to help you move on
1. “When two people decide to get a divorce, it isn’t a sign that they ‘don’t understand’ one another, but a sign that they have, at least, begun to.” – Helen Rowland
2. “You never really know a man until you have divorced him.” – Zsa Zsa Gabor
3. “There is no such thing as a “broken family.” Family is family, and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart. The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family. And if you hate those ties, those people will still be your family because whatever you hate will always be with you.” – C. Joybell C.
4. “Divorce isn’t the child’s fault. Don’t say anything unkind about your ex to the child, because you’re really just hurting the child.” – Valerie Bertinelli
5. “Do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you.” – Rupi Kaur
6. “Divorce isn’t such a tragedy. A tragedy’s staying in an unhappy marriage, teaching your children the wrong things about love. Nobody ever died of divorce.” – Jennifer Weiner
7. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
8. “What we wait around a lifetime for with one person, we can find in a moment with someone else.” – Stephanie Klein
9. “I was a high-functioning depressive, seemingly pulled together and buttoned down. But inside deep, I was numb and mute. Now on the other side of divorce, I know that was me fragmented and doing my best to cope. But my body knew.” – Liza Caldwell
10. “The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn’t want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door, without causing any fuss or consequences, and then not stop running until I reached Greenland.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
You might also like these ex quotes for when you’re going through a break-up.
Divorce quotes to help you heal and process your emotions
11. “When people divorce, it’s always such a tragedy. At the same time, if people stay together it can be even worse.” – Monica Bellucci
12. “Why don’t you just pretend that the asshole dropped dead? You can’t call or write to a dead man. Put a couple of candles in front of his picture, say a few Hail Marys, and get it over with.” – Isabel Lopez
13. “It always gets worse before it can get better. But it will get better. Like everything else, and like our past struggles, at some point we win, but before that win, there’s always that loss that spurs us on.” – Dolores Huerta
14. “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” – Toni Morrison
15. “Imagine spreading everything you care about on a blanket and then tossing the whole thing up in the air. The process of divorce is about loading that blanket, throwing it up, watching it all spin, and worrying what stuff will break when it lands.” – Amy Poehler
16. “Heartbreak is a loss. Divorce is a piece of paper.” – Taylor Jenkins Reid
17. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
18. “Taking a thing apart is always faster than putting something together. This is true of everything except marriage.” – Joe Hill
19. “I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me.” – Erica Jong
20. “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered.” – Michelle Obama
Divorce quotes to lift you up
21. “Marriage isn’t a love affair. It isn’t even a honeymoon. It’s a job. A long hard job, at which both partners have to work, harder than they’ve worked at anything in their lives before. If it’s a good marriage, it changes, it evolves, but it does on getting better. I’ve seen it with my own mother and father. But a bad marriage can dissolve in a welter of resentment and acrimony. I’ve seen that, too, in my own miserable and disastrous attempt at making another person happy. And it’s never one person’s fault. It’s the sum total of a thousand little irritations, disagreements, idiotic details that in a sound alliance would simply be disregarded, or forgotten in the healing act of making love. Divorce isn’t a cure, it’s a surgical operation, even if there are no children to consider.” – Rosamunde Pilcher
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
22. “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” – Carol Burnett
23. “Every broken heart has screamed at one time or another: Why can’t you see who I truly am?” – Shannon L. Alder
24. “The snag about marriage is, it isn’t worth the divorce.” – Suzanne Finnamore
25. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
26. “Don’t have regrets. You can learn something from every experience.” – Ellen Degeneres
27. “Divorce shreds the muscles of our hearts so that they will hardly beat without a struggle.” – E. Lockhart
28. “Perhaps sometimes reminding ourselves that we do have a choice makes it easier to pick the harder one.” – Eva Melusine Thieme
29. “It was a long time in the making, my divorce. One day became less special than the [one before], and pretty soon we ceased all conversation. It is a sad day when you have nothing left to say.” – Ricki Lake
30. “The process of discovering with somebody that you love that you don’t work is so painful.” – Kate Hudson
Divorce quotes to remind you of your strength
31. “Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
32. “Maybe, in the final analysis, they saw me as something I wasn’t and I tried to turn them into something they could never be. I loved them all but maybe I never understood any of them. I don’t think they understood me.” – Ava Gardner
33. “The good thing about getting divorced young — if there is a good thing — is that it makes you realize there’s no schedule in life. It blasts you wide open and frees you to be honest with yourself.” – Olivia Wilde
34. “Divorce lawyers stoke anger and fear in their clients, knowing that as long as the conflicts remain unresolved the revenue stream will keep flowing.” – Craig Ferguson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
35. “When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be towards others.” – Eda LeShan
36. “There’s no pain or failure like going through a divorce.” – Jennifer Lopez
37. “The arrangements that couples make in order to maintain civility in the midst of their journey to divorce are often most elaborate when the professed top priority is to protect a child.” – John Irving
38. “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” – Lena Horne
39. “Those who divorce aren’t necessarily the most unhappy, just those neatly able to believe their misery is caused by one other person.” – Alain de Botton
40. “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” – Carrie Fisher
Insightful divorce quotes
41. “A horrible end is better than endless horror.” – Oliver Markus
42. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
43. “Divorce is expensive. I used to joke they were going to call it ‘all the money,’ but they changed it to ‘alimony.’ It’s ripping your heart out through your wallet.” – Robin Williams
44. “Staying married may have long-term benefits. You can elicit much more sympathy from friends over a bad marriage than you ever can from a good divorce.” – P. J. O’Rourke
45. “I do not consider divorce an evil by any means. It is just as much a refuge for women married to brutal men as Canada was to the slaves of brutal masters.” – Susan B. Anthony
46. “Divorce can be crazy. Man, if you’re happy … Love is a beast, man. Hold on. Be prepared for any way it may go, and be honest.” – Nas
47. “Divorce is a game played by lawyers.” – Cary Grant
48. “If you made a list of reasons why any couple got married, and another list of the reasons for their divorce, you’d have a hell of a lot of overlapping.” – Mignon McLaughlin
49. “Divorce is one of the most financially traumatic things you can go through. Money spent on getting mad or getting even is money wasted.” – Richard Wagner
50. “I used to hope that you’d bring me flowers. Now I plant my own.” – Rachel Wolchin
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these break up quotes that will help you overcome the pain of separation.
Thought-provoking divorce quotes
51. “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.” – Lucille Ball
52. “I used to think that divorce meant failure, but now I see it more as a step along the path of self-realization and growth.” – Alana Stewart
53. “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.” – Coco Chanel
54. “Once you do embark upon the separation or divorce process, it is very important to remember three key things: Be kind, be reasonable, be brief. Remember that this person will no longer be your spouse, but he or she will continue to be your co-parent, family member, and perhaps business partner in certain assets or entities.” – Laura Wasser
55. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
56. “Divorce is never a pleasant experience. You look upon it as a failure. But I learned to be a different person once we broke up. Sometimes you learn more from failure than you do from success.” – Michael Crawford
57. “Divorce can sometimes be for the better. You may end up with happier parents, and you will definitely learn a lot about yourself! And that’s the whole point of growing up. So if you think about it, there are reasons to be happy about this experience, if you can learn and grow from it.” – Zoe Stern
58. “Divorce is a time of change. It really rocks a foundation of most people’s lives. When we have our heart broken or our dreams taken away from us, it is a time of growth and change.” – Debbie Ford
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heart break quotes about moving on from a break up.
59. “Divorce is not the end of the world. It’s worse to stay in an unhealthy marriage. That’s a worse example for the children.” – Jerry Hall
60. “I think you will find that with divorce will come happier remarriage.” – Helen Fisher
More divorce quotes and sayings
61. “The divorce was invented so you’ll not have to sleep with a mistake your entire life.” – Natașa Alina Culea
62. “The worst thing about divorce is that all those beautiful memories you built with someone who was supposed to be there forever, now hold the grief of loss.” – Aaron Behr
63. “Those who get married for the wrong reasons often get divorced for the right ones.” – Omar Cherif
64. “Divorce is a bitch and marriage is the mother of that bitch.” – Nilesh Rathod
65. “Sometimes divorce is the best thing that can happen to marriage.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
66. “Divorce is not always a doorway to happiness. The same can be said about marriage.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
67. “Divorce is success. Failure is staying married to a person you no longer love.” – Ben Tolosa
68. “Divorce is an expensive punishment love gets when it fails.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
69. “Divorce is like a death but with intent.” – Kathiey V
70. “Divorce is a fire exit. When a house is burning, it doesn’t matter who set the fire. If there is no fire exit, everyone in the house will be burned!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
Insightful divorce quotes to contemplate on
71. “We ruined each other by being together. We destroyed each other’s dreams.” ― Kate Chisman
72. “My husband and I have never considered divorce… murder sometimes, but never divorce.” ― Joyce Brothers
73. “Sometimes divorce isn’t an earth-shattering loss. Sometimes it’s just two people waking up out of a fog.” ― Taylor Jenkins Reid
74. “It wasn’t about being happy or unhappy. I just didn’t want to be me anymore.” ― Sarah Dessen
75. “You know why divorces are so expensive? They’re worth it.” ― Willie Nelson
76. “Friendship is the marriage of the soul, and this marriage is liable to divorce.” ― Voltaire
77. “I had a really good childhood up until I was nine, then a classic case of divorce really affected me.” ― Kurt Cobain
78. “In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage.” ― Robert Anderson
79. “A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there’s less of you.” ― Margaret Atwood
80. “The foolish and cruel notion that a wife is to obey her husband has sent more women to the grave than to the courts for a divorce.” ― Lemuel K. Washburn
Which of these divorce quotes inspires and uplifts you the most?
Going through a divorce can be the most difficult, painful period of someone’s life. If you or someone you know is dealing with divorce, share these comforting quotes with them.
This list of divorce quotes can offer guidance and support during times of struggle. If you’re feeling heartbroken, alone, or scared, read these encouraging sayings for comfort. You have the power and strength to move on from this pain and live a successful life.
These divorce quotes will help you heal and process your emotions. The end of a marriage is a complicated and difficult time can bring up a lot of negative feelings. If you’re struggling to cope with divorce, these uplifting quotes will help calm your soul. Share these powerful words with your family, children, and friends to help them understand this situation.
What are your favorite divorce quotes and sayings to help soothe a broken heart? Let us know in the comment section below.
April 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST