These firstborn quotes will help you better understand what it is like to be the firstborn, as well as attempt to capture that emotional moment of bringing your firstborn child into the world.
Becoming a parent for the first time is a monumental moment in your life.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Suddenly, there is a tiny person who will need you for everything.
This little boy or girl will change everything you thought you knew about love.
Yet, you will never experience some of the ‘firsts’ again, creating a special bond.
Also, your firstborn prepares you for the role of parenting with practical first-hand knowledge.
Something you and your younger ones will benefit from and a luxury your firstborn did not receive.
These things will play a role in the personality of your firstborn.
Keep reading through these firstborn quotes for insight into why firstborns are the way they are!
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Firstborn Quotes That Are Sweet And Perfect For Instagram
You have just had your first baby and want to share their adorable little face with everyone you know. Social media can be a great way to do that, and these firstborn quotes are a perfect way to caption photos of the tiny being that has stolen your heart.
1. “I love you like I haven’t loved anything before.” — Unknown
2. “You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars.” — E.E. Cummings
You will also enjoy our article on sibling quotes.
3. “You are my shining star, my firstborn, my greatest joy.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on Edna Mode quotes.
4. “Children bring us a piece of heaven on Earth.” — Roland Leonhardt
5. “My eyes have not seen a thing more beautiful than you.” — Unknown
6. “Nothing can compare to the joy that your firstborn brings you.” — Unknown
7. “I still cherish the moment when I laid my eyes upon my firstborn.” — Unknown
8. “Babies are always more trouble than you thought and more wonderful.” — Charles Osgood
9. “As soon as I saw you, I knew a grand adventure was about to happen.” — Winnie the Pooh
10. “We were amateurs when we had you, but you trained us quickly, and you trained us well.” — Unknown
Firstborn Quotes For Mothers
Being a mom is something that you really can not explain to others, although we often try. These firstborn quotes for mothers will help you find the words to convey your feelings to others, or maybe, better understand your own.
11. “You made me a mother, for that alone, I am forever grateful.” — Unknown
12. “My life’s not the same anymore. It is more beautiful, meaningful, and colorful.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on single mom quotes.
13. “The biggest surprise, which is also the best, is that I didn’t know I would love motherhood as much as I do.” — Deborah Norville
You will also enjoy our article on Frankenstein quotes.
14. “A woman becomes a mother when her first child is born. That child is always special, always the most beloved one.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on baby girl quotes.
15. “Having a child, particularly your first child, is such a life-changing moment. Nothing can really prepare you for that.” — Kate Middleton
You will also enjoy our article on Matthew McConaughey quotes.
16. “Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” — Elizabeth Stone
17. “I’d long wanted to write about that moment when a woman steps off the career track to have her first child. For me, that was a scary time.” — Hallie Ephron
18. “When I had my first child, I was too embarrassed to tell a single soul that I wasn’t the over-the-moon, picture-perfect new mother I was supposed to be.” — Stephanie Ruhle
19. “It was super stressful at first because it is my first child. You just become a mom, and you roll with it.” — Maryse Mizanin
20. “My first child, I think I was completely shell-shocked. I was in awe that I had actually done what millions of other women had done, given birth, and now an added responsibility of ‘mommy’ in my life ahead!” — Kylie Bax
You will also enjoy our article on father daughter quotes.
Firstborn Quotes For Fathers
Becoming a father is no less special than becoming a mother, or any less scary for that matter! These firstborn quotes for dads explain the feeling from the male perspective.
21. “Among all my firsts in life, being a first time dad is my favorite.” — Unknown
23. “Some dads liken the impending birth of a child to the beginning of a great journey.” — Marcus Jacob Goldman
24. “Anyone who tells you fatherhood is the greatest thing that can happen to you, they are understating it.” — Mike Myers
25. “I thought film was more important than life itself for many years. But I was naïve to the world until my first child was born in 1985.” — Steven Spielberg
26. “If you are a good person, you will probably be a good father. If you don’t feel apprehensive just before your first child arrives, you are abnormal. ” — Clyde Edgerton
27. “The nature of impending fatherhood is that you are doing something that you’re unqualified to do, and then you become qualified while doing it.” — John Green
28. “I was angry and frustrated until I started my own family and my first child was born. Until then, I didn’t really appreciate life the way I should have, but fortunately, I woke up.” — Johnny Depp
29. “Fatherhood is the greatest thing that could ever happen. You can’t explain it until it happens; it’s like telling somebody what water feels like before they’ve ever swam in it.” — Michael Bublé
30. “The moment that changed me forever was the moment my first child was born. I was happy, filled with hope, and thought, ‘Now I understand the whole point of work, of life, of love.’” — Paul Theroux
You will also enjoy our article on mother and son quotes.
Firstborn Quotes About The Ups And Downs Of Parenting
Parenting is one of the hardest jobs in the world. It is demanding and often thankless. Yet, it is one of the most fulfilling roles you will ever take on. It is quite the paradox.
31. “Oldest child tends to take up the most room in your heart.” — Unknown
32. “Only your firstborn baby can teach you how resilient your spirit can be” — Unknown
33. “Most parents are secretly biased towards one child, which in most cases is the eldest one.” — Unknown
34. “The amazing thing about becoming a parent is that you will never again be your own first priority.” — Olivia Wilde
35. “I was nervous and excited when I learned about you. I hope to be the best mother that I can be for you.” — Unknown
36. “They say practice makes you perfect. I did all my practice on my firstborn, and now the second baby will reap the benefits.” — Unknown
37. “I thought I was grounded. I was like a balloon flying around in the air. And as soon as our first child was born, boom – my feet came right down to the ground.” — John Prine
38. “Firstborn can instill joy, fear, triumph, uncertainty, and delight all at the same time. The moment your first child is born your life changes completely and irrevocably, for good.” — Unknown
39. “You have to keep your parenting game strong with the first child because later on, he will have a major influence on your younger kids. If he is brought up the wholesome way, others will follow suit.” — Unknown
40. “Being a parent is not for the faint of heart. I may joke about knowing fear, but the fact is, the first time I ever knew real fear was the day Charlotte, my first child, was born.” — Harlan Coben
You will also enjoy our article on mother daughter quotes.
Firstborn Quotes About Their Roles, Personalities, And Other Siblings
Many firstborns share qualities and traits with each other. There are several reasons for this, which these firstborn quotes will explain.
41. “Firstborns usually turn out to be the most responsible of adults.” — Unknown
42. “Everyone loves firstborns, including parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.” — Unknown
43. “Many babies might follow the first one, but none of them will take the firstborn’s place.” — Unknown
44. “Firstborns are dominating little things. They can even vie with their parents for control.” — Unknown
45. “Firstborns set the example. Their upbringing, good or bad, also reflects on your other children.” — Unknown
46. “Firstborns are usually the mature ones. They are familiar with nuances of expressions and feelings from a young age.” — Unknown
47. “In a big family, the first child is kind of like the first pancake. If it’s not perfect, that’s okay, there are a lot more coming along.” — Antonin Scalia
48. “When your first baby drops her pacifier, you sterilize it. When your second baby drops her pacifier, you tell the dog: Fetch.” — Bruce Lansky
49. “My first child is going to be the oldest sibling to the next kid, and that may change with each and every year. I’m looking forward to how one baby influences the other” — Blake Lively
50. “That’s the way it is with firstborns. Mom and Dad may think they’re in charge, but the firstborn knows better, and so does the youngest sibling.” ― Kevin Leman, The Firstborn Advantage: Making Your Birth Order Work for You
First Born Quotes That Perfectly Express The Experience
51. “The right of the firstborn gives the man the right to yield seed.” ― Sunday Adelaja
52. “Still the most magical day of my life was the day I became a mom.” ― Linda Becker
53. “First babies have the often unenviable task of turning people into parents.” ― Penelope Leach
54. “Your whole life is changed with that first child. Your social behaviors are all turned upside down.” ― Jeff Nichols
55. “You’re my first born child, and the person who first showed me the miracle of this love a mother has for her child.” ― Elizabeth Noble
56. “I don’t mean to be presumptuous that men don’t feel this, I don’t mean this, but I found that when my child was born, my first child, it felt like my heart broke.” ― Tea Leoni
57. “You can only have one first born child. You may love all your children deeply and with passion, but there is something unique about the first born.” ― Raymond E Feist
58. “Someone once told me that children are like heroin. You always want more. Yet first-borns are special because you’ll never have your first child again.” ― Sarah Jessica Parker
59. “Having a first child is like swallowing an intoxicating drink made of equal parts joy and terror, chased with a bucketful of transitions nobody ever tells you about.” ― John Medina
60. “When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” ― James Matthew Barrie
Heartwarming Firstborn Quotes
61. “Children reinvent your world for you.” — Susan Sarandon
62. “A grand adventure is about to begin.” — Winnie the Pooh
63. “With every newborn baby a little sun rises.” — Irmgard Erath
64. “Carrying a baby is the most rewarding experience a woman can enjoy.” — Jayne Mansfield
65. “I love you forever. I’ll like you for always. As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.” — Robert Munsch
66. “He doesn’t know you’re watching him, but in this special, reflective moment, you realize he’s growing up. I mean, really growing up.” — Robert Lewis
67. “A new baby is like the beginning of all things –– wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” — Eda J. Le Shan
68. ”Mother is her son’s first god. She must teach him the most important lesson of all – how to love.” — T. F. Hodge
69. “A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.” — Mary Mason
70. “Giving birth and being born brings us into the essence of creation, where the human spirit is courageous and bold and the body, a miracle of wisdom.” — Harriette Hartigan
Firstborn Quotes To Admire Every Milestone
71. “Babies are bits of stardust, blown from the hand of God.” — Larry Barretto
72. “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” — Oprah
73. “I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us.” — Charles Dickens
74. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” — Sigmund Freud
75. “Babies are amazing. They begin each day all warm and sleepy, smelling of promise.” — Julia Roberts
76. “Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever-fresh and radiant possibility.” — Kate Douglas Wiggin
77. “Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice.” — Charles Kettering
78. “There are words in the soul of a newborn baby, wanting and waiting to be written.” — Toba Beta
79. “There are no words that can describe the euphoria you feel when your baby recognizes you for the first time and smiles.” — Jared Padalecki
80. “Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.” — Rabindranath Tagore
First-Born Quotes About The Feeling Of Parenting
81. “All those cliches, those things you hear about having a baby and motherhood—all of them are true. And all of them are the most beautiful things you will ever experience.” — Penelope Cruz
82. “The first step, my son, which one makes in the world, is the one on which depends the rest of our days.” — Voltaire
83. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” — Bethany Hamilton
84. “Nothing ever fits the palm so perfectly, or feels so right, or inspires so much protective instinct as the hand of a child.” — Gregory David
85. “Having one child makes you a parent. Having two kids makes you a referee.” — David Frost
86. “When he finally was placed into my arms, I looked into his precious eyes and felt an overwhelming, unconditional love….I never felt so complete and empowered in my life.” — Gisele Bündchen
87. “My greatest blessing has been the birth of my son. My next greatest blessing has been my ability to turn people into children of mine.” — Maya Angelou
88. “The child must know that he is a miracle. That since the beginning of the world there hasn’t been, and until the end of the world, there will not be, another child like him.” — Pablo Casals
89. “A baby is a wishing well. Everyone puts their hopes, their fears, their pasts, their two cents in.” — Elizabeth Bard
90. “Babies used to make me nervous, but these squirmy things are awesome once you’ve read the manual.” — David Z. Hirsch
First-Born Quotes About The Value Of A Baby
91. “A baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on.” — Carl Sandburg
92. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” — Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
93. “When the baby is born, all that pain (that was endured) vanishes in an instant. Love for that tiny baby makes one forget the pain, the fear.” — Hope Bradford
94. “Life is a flame that is always burning itself out, but it catches fire again every time a child is born.” — George Bernard Shaw
95. “Having a kid is like falling in love for the first time when you’re 12, but every day.” — Mike Myers
96. “To wake up to the sound of my son saying ‘Mama, mama!’ It’s the best sound ever.” — Miranda Kerr
97. “A baby boy has a special way of bringing out the man in his father and the little boy in his grandfather.” — Tanya Masse
98. “There is no greater privilege in living than bringing a tiny new human being into the world and then trying to raise him or her properly during the next eighteen years.” — James C. Dobson
99. “The best way of training the young is to train yourself at the same time; not to admonish them, but to be seen never doing that of which you would admonish them.” — Plato
100. “A happy baby has shining eyes. It walks open-hearted into the world and spreads magic.” — Sigrid Leo
Firstborn Quotes For The Eldest And Exceptional
101. “A firstborn has no siblings but is always a sibling.” — Jarod Kintz
102. “The firstborn in every family is always dreaming for an imaginary older brother or sister who will look out for them.” — Bill Cosby
103. “Being the eldest of three girls, I always felt I had to be a good example and set a standard for them.” — Bianca Balti
104. “Firstborns are usually given responsibility early in life, whether they want it or not.” — Charles E. Rice
105. “The firstborn is the guinea pig. Of course, by the third one, you think you’ve got it down.” — Loni Anderson
106. “The eldest and the youngest child have a special relationship.” — Debbie Lee
107. “The first-born child is where the burden falls, to be the responsible one.” — Gladys Knight
108. “I was the first born. All I know is, I’m glad I’m here and not in the line of the second or third born.” — Jose Bautista
109. “Firstborn children often gravitate toward careers that involve managing people and things.” — Kevin Leman
110. “Firstborns are well-behaved and well-trained. They usually do what they’re told and follow the rules.” — Kevin Leman
Wisdom And Wit In Firstborn Quotes
111. “The first child is a cultural variant in the family and has the role of being creative and original.” — Kevin Leman
112. “The first born child is the designated driver for the rest of their lives.” — Anita Baker
113. “The firstborn is the one who teaches you how to be a parent.” — Jodi Picoult
114. “Being the firstborn, I was trusted with a lot of responsibility from a young age.” — Mahesh Babu
115. “Being a first-born child, I think I’ve learned to be a good leader.” — Mark Wahlberg
116. “Firstborns tend to be reliable, conscientious, and perfectionists.” — Kevin Leman
117. “As the firstborn, I couldn’t just be the best me. I had to be a pillar for those who came after me.” — Nikki Rowe
118. “As the firstborn, you inherit the kingdom, the glory, and the debt.” — Jandy Nelson
119. “Being a firstborn is an honor and a lifelong job.” — Nikki Rowe
120. “The firstborn child is the bridge between generations.” — Greg Brown
Firstborn Quotes To Brighten Your Day
121. “A first-born child is your own personal time machine, taking you back to the past while also giving you hope for the future.” — Unknown
122. “Sons are born to make their fathers better men.” — Mekael Shane
123. “A baby is as pure as an angel and as fresh as a blooming flower.” — Debasish Mridha
124. “Let your boys test their wings. They may not be eagles, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t soar free.” — C. J. Milbrandt
125. “Life’s only worth living if you’re being loved by a kid.” — Buzz Lightyear
126. “Firstborns try your patience like nobody else can.” — Unknown
127. “To my first-born daughter: I will always be here for you. I will always be your biggest fan. I love you with all of my heart.” —
128. “He was as proud as if he’d heard his firstborn reciting Shakespeare.” — Charlaine Harris
129. “When my daughter was born, that was the first time I cried from happiness.” — Boots Riley
130. “He was the firstborn Bridgerton of a firstborn Bridgerton of a firstborn Bridgerton eight times over. He had a dynastic responsibility to be fruitful and multiply.” — Julia Quinn
What Are Common Personality Traits Of The Firstborn?
Your birth order plays a big role in your personality, according to Kevin Leman, Ph.D., who has studied the topic since 1967.
His book, The Brith Order Book: Why You Are The Way You Are, helps explain how your birth order can impact several areas of your life.
Here are some common traits that firstborns exhibit, they are often:
Now, you might wonder why this is. The answer, in part, is because firstborns receive more one-on-one attention.
Parents with only one child have the time (and patience) to read to their child, explain how things work, and guide their child, however it gets much harder to carve aside time as more children enter the mix.
This then becomes what separates the eldest child from the only child.
While the only child will receive this type of attention their whole lives, the eldest child learns to become a leadership figure in the eyes of their siblings.
They help their parents care for and guide the younger ones.
However, with this great power comes great responsibility, and the eldest knows it.
Of course, these personality strengths, like reliability, achievement, and conscientiousness, come with some challenges.
Generally this results in the firstborn typically developing a Type A personality which includes being afraid of failure and letting others down.
Consequently, they are not great at caring for their own needs, often focusing on the needs of everyone around them.
So after learning more about birth order, do you think birth order plays a part in why you are the way you are?
As a firstborn myself, and a mother of 2, I can see these traits reflected in my husband, daughter, and I… all of whom are firstborns.
Did the firstborn quotes ring true for you or your family or friends?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.