Full Moon Quotes About the Powerful and Beautiful Lunar Event
March 15, 2023 5:00 AM EST
These full moon quotes remind us of the poetic beauty associated with the moon, but the moon is more than just a pretty sight in the sky.
Full moons are beautiful to look at, especially when they are a different color than the usual silverish glow we see once a month!
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study conducted by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the moon is the Earth’s closest celestial neighbor, at an average distance of 384,400 kilometers.
This proximity makes the moon a significant presence in our sky and an inspiration for poets, artists, and writers alike.
Full moons happen once a month, and if you were wondering how they happen, you have come to the right place!
Share your favorite full moon quote from the list with us in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these full moon quotes?
The moon doesn’t give off any light by itself; what we see is the sun reflecting off it.
For us to see a full moon, the moon needs to be directly opposite the sun in our sky, 180 degrees opposite the sun in elliptical longitude!
In ancient times, the moon held many spiritual beliefs and myths.
In more modern times, the moon has become a political point of contention between nations.
These full moon quotes will:
- give you a good laugh
- help you caption those perfect moon photos
- will give you a new perspective on spirituality, love, and loneliness
The moon has also become a focal point for scientists and wealthy humans who want to colonize it and find an alternative to Earth.
Keep reading through these full moon quotes to see how the moon still affects us and if there is anything special you should say to the moon when it’s full, like a little moon prayer!
Don’t forget to check out our other moon quotes celebrating the shine in the darkness.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Funny full moon quotes that will have you laughing like a lunatic
In a survey conducted by the American Psychological Association (APA), 67% of respondents reported feeling a sense of awe or wonder when observing a full moon.
This emotional response is thought to be a driving factor behind the popularity of full moon quotes and the shared human fascination with this celestial event.
1. “All of the full moons for the entire year are special in that they have particular names.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
You will also enjoy our article on pictures quotes.
2. “If I tell you, there’s cheese on the moon, bring the crackers.” ― Tyronn Lue
You will also enjoy our article on cloud quotes.
3. “There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” ― George Carlin
You will also enjoy our article on october quotes.
4. “If you strive for the moon, maybe you’ll get over the fence.” ― James Wood
You will also enjoy our article on free spirit quotes.
5. “When a dog barks at the moon, then it is religion; but when he barks at strangers, it is patriotism!” ― David Starr Jordan
You will also enjoy our article on sailor moon quotes.
6. “Gray hairs seem to my fancy like the soft light of the moon, silvering over the evening of life.” ― Jean Paul
You will also enjoy our article on star quotes.
7. “The Sun, Moon, and Stars are there to guide us.” ― Dennis Banks
You will also enjoy our article on frida kahlo quotes.
8. “The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to.” ― Carl Sandburg
You will also enjoy our article on space quotes.
9. “The moon is the accomplice of all things related to the heart.” ― Walter Mercado
You will also enjoy our article on neil armstrong quotes.
10. “I don’t know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum.” ― George Bernard Shaw
Full moon quotes that are perfect for those Instagram pics
Research by the University of Maryland reveals that lunar cycles have played a crucial role in human culture and mythology throughout history.
This rich cultural history explains why full moon quotes continue to resonate with audiences today, as they tap into a deep, shared human connection with the moon.
11. “A kiss on the beach when there is a full moon is the closest thing to heaven.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on wolf quotes sayings and proverbs.
12. “A full moon is a flashlight so everyone can see your drama!” — Eric Jerome Dickey
You will also enjoy our article on meaningful quotes.
13. “Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.” — W. Clement Stone
You will also enjoy our article on diamond quotes.
14. “The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas.” ― Alfred Noyes
15. “Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god, but a great rock, and the sun a hot rock.” ― Anaxagoras
16. “But even when the moon looks like it’s waning…it’s actually never changing shape. Don’t ever forget that.” ― Ai Yazawa
17. “Yeah, we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.” ― John Lennon
18. “From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It’s not a miracle; we just decided to go.” ― Tom Hanks
19. “Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
20. “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars.” — Les Brown
Short full moon quotes that are still powerful
21. “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” — Buddha
22. “The day, water, sun, moon, night – I do not have to purchase these things with money.” — Plautus
23. “If the Sun and Moon should ever doubt, they’d immediately go out.” — William Blake
24. “I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger.” — Tanzania Proverb
25. “I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it.” — Albert Einstein
26. “You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars.” — Gary Allan
27. “The moon looks upon many night flowers; the night flowers see but one moon.” — Jean Ingelow
28. “Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” — Mark Twain
29. “A full moon hung across the heavens like a pregnant belly.” ― Kien Nguyen
30. “In my darkness you appeared like a full moon with silvery lights of love.”― Debasish Mridha
Beautiful full moon quotes
31. “For most people, we often marvel at the beauty of a sunrise or the magnificence of a full moon, but it is impossible to fathom the magnitude of the universe that surrounds us.” ― Richard H. Baker
32. “I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment.” ― Colin Farrell
33. “The child often sees only what he already knows. He projects the whole of his verbal thought into things. He sees mountains as built by men, rivers as dug out with spades, the sun and moon as following us on our walks.” ― Jean Piaget
34. “The moon is at her full, and riding high; floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ― William Cullen Bryant
35. “Because of its gradient, it is the site of many spectacular waterfalls, like the Unchalli Falls, near which, on a full moon night in winter, you might even glimpse a moonbow – a rainbow generated from the moonlight. This is the river Aghanashini – the cleanser of sins.” ― Rohini Nilekani
36. “Worldly wealth is the Devil’s bait; and those whose minds feed upon riches recede, in general, from real happiness, in proportion as their stores increase, as the moon, when she is fullest, is farthest from the sun.” ― Robert Burton
37. “I suppose there were moonless nights and dark ones with but a silver shaving and pale stars in the sky, but I remember them all as flooded with the rich indolence of a full moon.” ― Willa Sibert Cather
38. “If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it’s OK. But you’ve got to shoot for something. A lot of people don’t even shoot.” ― Confucius
39. “Tell me what you feel in your room when the full moon is shining in upon you and your lamp is dying out, and I will tell you how old you are, and I shall know if you are happy.” ― Henri Frederic Amiel
Inspirational full moon quotes about spirituality, love, and loneliness
40. “Our great symbol for the Goddess is the moon, whose three aspects reflect the three stages in women’s lives and whose cycles of waxing and waning coincide with women’s menstrual cycles.” ― Carol P. Christ
41. “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
42. “Wine and cheese are ageless companions, like aspirin and aches, or June and moon, or good people and noble ventures.” ― M. F. K. Fisher
43. “Let me tell you something about full moons: kids don’t care about full moons. They’ll play in a full moon, no worries at all. They only get scared of magic or werewolves from stupid adults and their stupid adult stories.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
44. “There’s no doubt that the Moon is more than a handy night light and a hair restorer for werewolves. It’s responsible for the substantial amplitude of earthly ocean tides. These are of obvious influence if you’re a geoduck, a type of clam that people dig up at low tide.” ― Seth Shostak
45. “The ancients often believed a celestial event like an eclipse to be a bad omen, that the sun or the moon vanishing from the sky was a harbinger of disaster, a sign of devastation or destruction to come.” ― Jenna Wortham
46. “The magnificent cosmos is a palace that has the sun and the moon as its lamps and the stars as its candles; time is like a rope or ribbon hung within it, on to which the Glorious Creator each year threads a new world.” ― Said Nursi
47. “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.” ― Mother Teresa
48. “Just as future eclipses of the Sun and Moon are indicated in the present relations of those bodies, so are future earthly lives indicated in what now lives within us.” ― Rudolf Steiner
49. “Sooner and later you will see great changes made, dreadful horrors and vengeances. For as the Moon is thus led by its angel, the heavens draw near to the Balance.” ― Nostradamus
50. “I am tired, beloved, of chafing my heart against the want of you; of squeezing it into little ink drops, and posting it. And I scald alone, here, under the fire of the great moon.” ― Amy Lowell
Mystical full moon quotes for the moon lover in you
51. “I fancied my luck to be witnessing yet another full moon. True, I’d seen hundreds of full moons in my life, but they were not limitless. When one starts thinking of the full moon as a common sight that will come again to one’s eyes ad-infinitum, the value of life is diminished and life goes by uncherished.” ― Roman Payne
52. “Escape from the black cloud
that surrounds you.
Then you will see your own light
as radiant as the full moon.”
53. “Oh my sweet muse tell me what do I doon such romantic full-moon nights! You inflame my passion, and the moon serenades my obsession!” ― Avijeet Das
54. “The sky grew orange and pink, a pale ghost of the full moon appeared above Salem, waiting to glow brilliant in the velvet black hiding just beyond the twilight.” ― Amber Newberry
55. “That what secretly flows between us today, will gleam tomorrow, the way full moon does.” ― Rafy Rohaan
56. “I can hold a cup of sake on a full moon in Japan, and the reflection of the moon in that little cup can make me feel so enthusiastic about beauty. That one good, magical moment can give me enough to create other things like the teardrop earring or necklace.” ― Elsa Peretti
57. “Summer ends, and Autumn comes, and he who would have it otherwise would have high tide always and a full moon every night.” ― Hal Borland
58. “The full moon appears at night with all its might and erases all the stars from the sky! Do the same to impress the world, stand in front of the world with all your strength and all your being!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
59. “The moon was full. It looked like a breast engorged with milk because of all the babies crying in the night.” ― Heather O’Neill
60. “She used to tell me that a full moon was when mysterious things happen and wishes come true.” ― Shannon A. Thompson
Full Moon Quotes For Shining Bright
61. “It was a full moon and, shining on all the snow, it made everything almost as bright as day – only the shadows were rather confusing.” — C. S. Lewis
62. “You have to be able to appreciate these things. How many people can say it was a full moon last night and appreciate it?” ― Sandy Miller
63. “When the moon is not full, the stars shine more brightly.” ― Unknown
64. “The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago… had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands.” ― Henry Ellis
65. “The clue to one’s next step toward the door of initiation may be revealed at the Full Moon during the sign of Taurus.” — Alice Bailey
66. “How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.” — Paul Bowles
67. “From the distance of the moon, Earth was four times the size of a full moon seen from Earth. It was a brilliant jewel in the black velvet sky.” — Buzz Aldrin
68. “The white saucer like some full moon descends / At last from the clouds of the table above.” — Harold Monro
69. “The Witch can gaze clearly into the dark hidden corners of the human psyche just as the full moon can light up the darkness of night.” — Raven Grimassi
70. “When the moon is not full, the stars shine more brightly.” ― Unknown
Full Moon Quotes About The Bright Shine
71. “I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”” ― Oriah Dreamer
72.”Some people will tell you werewolves can only shapechange under a full moon, but people also say there’s no such things as ghosts.” ― Patricia Briggs
73. “Full moons, skunk weed all up in the room; You got the munchies, baby? Ice cold milk and Lorna Doones.” ― Ghostface Killah
74. “As hard as I try to live with some degree of faith in my life, I just can’t believe that the full moon can turn dude into a wolf.” ― Dana Gould
75. “The full moon rises. The fog clings to the lowest branches of the spruce trees. The man steps out of the darkest corner of the forest and finds himself transformed into… A monkey? I think not.” ― Garth Stein
76. “Never say [to younger people] “that was before your time,” because the last full moon was before their time!” ― Bill Cosby
77. “Sometimes two people stay together for the sake of the kids – two kids who sat under a full moon and pledged to be forever true.” ― Robert Breault
78. “Cuba seems to have the same effect on US administrations as the full moon has on werewolves.” ― Wayne Smith
79. “We are all like the bright moon, we still have our darker side.” ― Khalil Gibran
80. “The night walked down the sky with the moon in her hand.” ― Frederic Lawrence Knowles
Full Moon Quotes That Inspire You To Face Your Challenges
81. “It’s a full moon here tonight, which makes me think of you. Because, I know that no matter what I am doing or where I am, this moon will always be the same size as yours, half a world away.” — Nicholas Sparks
82. “Tom Walls and his cohort are wolves in sheep’s clothing who will besmirch the memory of some genuine historic figures by the next full moon.” — Dionne Warwick
83. “On the horizon, he saw the full moon. God dropped it there, he was sure, as a reminder of our small place in the world. A reminder that what is beautiful is fleeting.” — Ben Sherwood
84. “Everything that is bad, the falling sickness – God save the mark – or the like, should be at its worst at the full moon. I suppose because it is the leader of the stars.” — Lady Gregory
85. “These fourteen phases from full moon to new also have their result, and for the Egyptian consciousness this result was achieved through Isis. These fourteen phases are ruled by Isis.” — Rudolf Steiner
86. “Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine.” — Gautama Buddha
87. “With passions stilled and one’s nature firm, all destinies are in harmony; When the full moon of contemplation is reached you will be pure.” — Wu Cheng’en
88. “Does the full moon affect people’s behavior, you ask? Yup. It makes people think the full moon affects people’s behavior.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
89. “The full moon – the mandala of the sky.” — Tom Robbins
90. “What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we cannot cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves?” — Thomas Merton
What did you learn from these full moon quotes?
So does the moon affect people?
It was believed that the lunar cycle could alter people’s moods, hence where the term lunatic comes from.
However, that theory has been dismissed in scientific circles, but there are still some ways that people believe the moon affects humans.
The AstroTwins at mbgmindfulness, explain how you can tap into the moon’s energy.
They point out that a new moon is a great time to make intentional plans for the future.
Conversely, the full moon is a period of culmination and fruition, where you reap the work you have done.
For some, like The AstroTwins, the full moon is a “spiritual and energetic pinnacle of whatever you started when the sun and the moon united at the new moon.”
They are not the only ones, as several full moon quotes offered a spiritual outlook on the moon.
Another thing The AstroTwins suggest is what to say during a full moon.
They say, “Words are powerful, and the full moon is a potent time to let go of what’s no longer serving you. Write down a list of everything you want to release from your life, and read them aloud with intention, either in a full moon circle or solo. Say, “I release you!” or “Thank you for your service—you are free to move on!”
Now you know what to say to the full moon!
Do you think the moon affects us?
Can we tap into its energy and use it to our advantage?
Share your thoughts in the comment section below, and be sure to share these awesome full moon quotes on your social media platforms.