The realization of the fact that we have control over ourselves, and the path that our lives take, is an exceptionally empowering notion.
We can learn from failure but control how we let it define us.
We can harness our strengths, and control how we want to use our natural gifts.
This lesson, the lesson of gaining control over ourselves, is one of the most important lessons we need to master.
Not only do we know that we have the ability for self-control, but that we have unlimited potential and possibilities in our lives.
Here are a few quotes about control from individuals who learned this lesson, and went on to achieve great success.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Quotes about Control That Will Change Your Mindset
1. “Everybody thinks of changing humanity, but nobody thinks of changing himself.” – Leo Tolstoy
2. “No one can make you jealous, angry, vengeful, or greedy – unless you let him.” – Napoleon Hill
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about breaking your limits.
3. “Prudent, cautious self-control, is wisdom’s root.” – Robert Burns
4. “Such power there is in clear-eyed self-restraint.” – James Russell Lowell
5. “He that would govern others first should be The Master of himself.” – Philip Massinger
6. “He who reigns within himself, and rules passions, desires, and fears, is more than a king.” – John Milton
7. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” – Steve Maraboli
8. “My life didn’t please me, so I created my life.” – Coco Chanel
9. “Whoever controls the media, controls the mind.” – Jim Morrison
10. “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” – Horace
11. “Immense power is acquired by assuring yourself in your secret reveries that you were born to control affairs.” – Andrew Carnegie
12. “Never allow anyone to rain on your parade and thus cast a pall of gloom and defeat on the entire day. Remember that no talent, no self-denial, no brains, no character, are required to set up in the fault-finding business. Nothing external can have any power over you unless you permit it. Your time is too precious to be sacrificed in wasted days combating the menial forces of hate, jealously, and envy. Guard your fragile life carefully. Only God can shape a flower, but any foolish child can pull it to pieces.” – Og Mandino
Motivational Quotes about Control
13. “Nature has placed mankind under the government of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure? they govern us in all we do, in all we say, in all we think: every effort we can make to throw off our subjection, will serve but to demonstrate and confirm it.” – John Bentham
14. “When once a man has made celebrity necessary to his happiness, he has put it in the power of the weakest and most timorous malignity, if not to take away his satisfaction, at least to withhold it. His enemies may indulge their pride by airy negligence and gratify their malice by quiet neutrality.” – Dr. Samuel Johnson
15. “Nothing gives a person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.” – Thomas Jefferson
16. “Warriors take chances. Like everyone else, they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them.” – ancient Samurai saying
17. “You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.” – Chinese Proverb
19. “As long as I have you there is just one other thing I’ll always need – tremendous self control.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
20. “My will shall shape my future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man’s doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.” – Elaine Maxwell
21. “You either get bitter or you get better. It’s that simple. You either take what has been dealt to you and allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate, it belongs to you.” – Josh Shipp
22. “It is easy to be tolerant of the principles of other people if you have none of your own.” – Samurai maxim and Chinese adage
23. “The mere possession of a gun is, in itself, an urge to kill, not only by design, but by accident, by madness, by fright, by bravado.” – Louisa May Alcott
24. “The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.” – Charles Robert Darwin
25. “When any fit of anxiety or gloominess or perversion of the mind lays hold upon you, make it a rule not to publish it by complaints but exert your whole care to hide it. By endeavoring to hide it, you will drive it away.” – Dr. Samuel Johnson
26. “If you’re always in a hurry, always trying to get ahead of the other guy, or someone else’s performance is what motivates you, then that person is in control of you.” – Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
27. “It is so easy to be confrontive without being informative; indignant without being intelligent; impulsive without being insightful.” – Neal A. Maxwell
28. “A man has to learn that he cannot command things, but that he can command himself; that he cannot coerce the wills of others, but that he can mold and master his own will: and things serve him who serves Truth; people seek guidance of him who is master of himself.” – James Allen
29. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” – Steve Maraboli
30. “Life is to be lived, not controlled and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.” – Ralph Ellison
More quotes about control
31. “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” – Noam Chomsky
32. “The difference between great people and everyone else is that great people create their lives actively, while everyone else is created by their lives, passively waiting to see where life takes them next. The difference between the two is the difference between living fully and just existing.” – Michael E. Gerber
33. “Flow with whatever is happening and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.” – Chuang Tzu
34. “You will never have a greater or lesser dominion than that over yourself … the height of a man’s success is gauged by his self-mastery; the depth of his failure by his self-abandonment … And this law is the expression of eternal justice. He who cannot establish dominion over himself will have no dominion over others.” – Leonardo da Vinci
35. “Any woman who is sure of her own wits, is a match, at any time, for a man who is not sure of his own temper.” – Wilkie Collins
36. “Chaos is what we’ve lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.” – Terence McKenna
37. “Pain is the feeling. Suffering is the effect the pain inflicts. If one can endure pain, one can live without suffering. If one can withstand pain, one can withstand anything. If one can learn to control pain, one can learn to control oneself.” – James Frey
38. “You learned to run from what you feel, and that’s why you have nightmares. To deny is to invite madness. To accept is to control.” – Megan Chance
Motivational Control Quotes about Self-Control
39. “Control your destiny or somebody will.” – Jack Welch
40. “Freedom is born of self-discipline. No individual, no nation, can achieve or maintain liberty without self-control. The undisciplined man is a slave to his own weaknesses.” – Alan Valentine
41. “I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.” – William Ernest Henley
42. “He who angers you conquers you.” – Elizabeth Kenny
43. “Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control–these three alone lead life to sovereign power.” – Alfred Tennyson
44. “Speak when you are angry and you will make best speech you will ever regret.” – Ambrose Bierce
45. “What lies in our power to do, it lies in our power not to do.” – Aristotle
46. “In the midst of movement and chaos keep stillness inside of you.” – Deepak Chopra
47. “What man’s mind can create, man’s character can control.” – Thomas Edison
48. “To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.” – Donald Laird
Control Quotes To Help You Gain Back Your Power
49. “He who feeds you, controls you.” ― Thomas Sankara
50. “If you do not have control over your mouth, you will not have control over your future.” ― Germany Kent
51. “Getting fired from work does not make you a failure. Letting it take control of your life is what does.” ― Sunday Adelaja
52. “There is no point in being miserable over things you can’t control.” ― Marty Rubin
53. “Selfishness isn’t doing what one wants; it’s trying to control what others do.” ― Marty Rubin
54. “But he also suspected that if he didn’t control the fear, it might start controlling him.” ― Rick Riordan
55. “Are you in control of your mating cycle or is your mating cycle in control of you?” ― Steven Magee
56. “Avoid letting circumstances dictate and control your thoughts.” ― Steven Redhead
57. “Emotions keep us human, but control over them is power.” ― Sanita Belgrave
58. “That breakup was a tipping point for me and a big wake-up call to take control of my own life.” ― Chris Noble
Which of these quotes about control do you identify with?
Incredible things can happen if we believe we can take the wheel.
Once we realize that we are the “Masters of our fate, the Captains of our souls,” we are emboldened to make and own our choices, to understand the control we have over our future and our outcomes.
August 2, 2022 5:00 AM EST