These incredible rumor quotes about gossiping will make you want to stop spreading drama and lies.
Sometimes rumors can be true, but they’re usually completely fabricated and based on hurtful lies. These insightful gossip quotes will motivate you to always be honest and to stop spreading rumors.
Have you ever heard a rumor about yourself?
Even if you’re not the one who started the rumor, it’s important to always tell the truth and state the facts. This collection of rumor quotes will give you a fresh perspective on the concept of gossiping.
Rumors can damage someone’s reputation or hurt their feelings. Our words are powerful, so we have to be careful not to spread drama and lies. These rumor quotes will guide you on a path of truth, virtue, and respect.
The next time you hear rumors about yourself or someone else, set the record straight with honesty. Share these rumor quotes with your friends and family to encourage them to always stand up against gossip.
Rumor quotes encourages you to stop spreading gossip
1. “In Hollywood, people get reputations, just rumors that are passed down.” – Jason Statham
2. “You can hear rumors. But you can’t know them.” – Jay Asher
3. “Never make negative comments or spread rumors about anyone. It depreciates their reputation and yours.” – Brian Koslow
4. “There will always be someone willing to hurt you, put you down, gossip about you, belittle your accomplishments and judge your soul. It is a fact that we all must face. However, if you realize that God is a best friend that stands beside you when others cast stones you will never be afraid, never feel worthless and never feel alone.” – Shannon Alder
5. “Always remember… Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
6. “And though there’s a grain of truth in every rumor, I’ve found that the worst gossip usually starts with something harmless.” – Kathleen O’Dell
7. “A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on.” – Terry Pratchett
8. “The media tends to report rumors, speculations, and projections as facts… How does the media do this? By quoting some ‘expert’… you can always find some expert who will say something hopelessly hopeless about anything.” – Peter McWilliams
9. “There are people who take rumors and embellish them in a way that can be devastating. And this pollution has to be eradicated by people in our business as best we can.” – Bob Woodward
10. “Oftentimes, rumors burn white hot only to fizzle as fast as they ignited.” – Judy Smith
Rumor quotes that will remind you to stand up for honesty and justice
11. “I find very often people like to confront rumors. It depends on how much they trust you. And you have to have a line between what is tasteful and what isn’t.” – Barbara Walters
12. “I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.” – Adlai E. Stevenson II
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of lies quotes for healing and moving on.
13. “If you have any kind of sex appeal, people are quick to accuse, abuse, lie, assume, and make up rumors. And that’s not just in entertainment — that’s in life. Period.” – Mya
14. “Never judge someone’s character based on the words of another. Instead, study the motives behind the words of the person casting the bad judgment. An honest woman can sell tangerines all day and remain a good person until she dies, but there will always be naysayers who will try to convince you otherwise. Perhaps this woman did not give them something for free, or at a discount. Perhaps too, that she refused to stand with them when they were wrong — or just stood up for something she felt was right. And also, it could be that some bitter women are envious of her, or that she rejected the advances of some very proud men. Always trust your heart.” – Suzy Kassem
15. “News told, rumors heard, truth implied, facts buried.” – Toba Beta
16. “Be warned: A person content to sit with you and criticize others will speak critically of you out of earshot.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
17. “When an athlete has relegated the persistent rumors of cheating to the back room of the mind, he hasn’t really forgotten them. And when he glances back to where rumors hunker in the darkness, he hopes with a savage heart that somehow, some day, those cheaters will be brought to justice.” – Don Kardong
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of savage quotes that will spark your inner boss.
18. “Dear Internet: You are very good at spreading rumors. Truth is more valuable and much harder to come by.” – Mark Frost
19. “I love rumors. It gives me something to think about and enjoy.” – Leonard Lauder
20. “The biggest liar in the world is They Say.” – Douglas Malloch
Rumor quotes to guide you on a path of truth, virtue, and respect
21. “I think the hardest part about being a teenager is dealing with other teenagers – the criticism and the ridicule, the gossip and rumors.” – Beverley Mitchell
22. “I try to put out fires when bizarre rumors get started.” – Chris Weitz
23. “Please ignore rumors! I’ve had them for years and you have to just let them go over your head. Don’t take them personally.” – Emma Bunton
24. “Where don’t they come from? I suppose the majority of rumors are a combination of leaked information and the astounding imaginations of numerous storytellers. And, of course, the hope that things aren’t really as boring as they seem on the surface.” – Max Frei
25. “Gossip is what you say about the objects of flattery when they aren’t present.” – P. J. O’Rourke
26. “None of it was true but rumors are like germs. They spread and multiply almost in a breath and before you know it, everyone is contaminated.” – C.J. Tudor
27. “Gossip needn’t be false to be evil – there’s a lot of truth that shouldn’t be passed around.” – Frank A. Clark
28. “I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs.” – Andy Warhol
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to look at the world differently today.
29. “There were a lot of rumors spread about me. Of course, I didn’t show up to defend myself, so my absence helped create even more.” – Sean Young
30. “I’ve heard rumors about myself that are true – and nobody likes that. But there’s actually something very liberating when you hear a false rumor because you realize there’s nothing you can do. People are going to say whatever they want – especially on chat boards.” – Christian Borle
Rumor quotes to encourage you to always stand up against gossip
31. “Watch out for the joy-stealers: gossip, criticism, complaining, faultfinding, and a negative, judgmental attitude.” – Joyce Meyer
32. “Don’t forget this, too: Rumors aren’t interested in the unsensational story; rumors don’t care what’s true.” – John Irving
33. “I guess rumors are more exciting than the truth.” – Venus Williams
34. “The trouble with rumors was that they had the tendency to stick. To coat over your logic like tea stains on teeth. What was even more troublesome was that there had been times in the past when they turned out to be accurate.” – Tanaz Bhathena
35. “Little effort is needed to create a rumor, but a much greater effort must be made to deny it.” – Eraldo Banovac
36. “When you gossip, it’s self-hexing. Because when you do it, it comes back to you. Everything starts with the word. The word is demonstrating a condition of the mind. If it’s in your mind and comes out of your mouth, it will be created.” – Iyanla Vanzant
37. “Hearsay, even from the people I love, doesn’t equate to gospel truth.” – Katie McGarry
38. “The kids threw the rumors out like lit matches, to see what would catch. I stayed silent, listening to the fizz and spark of their words, pretending I was water, putting them out.” – Erica Bauermeister
39. “I’ve never been a big fan of gossip. Being a victim of it, I knew how much it hurt.” – Blake Lively
40. “Idle chatter feeds busy rumors.” – Ted Sanders
Rumor quotes to enlighten you
41. “Rumors are like a dent from a sledgehammer — you can repair it, but it will never be as it was before.” – Emma Chase
42. “There’s nothing more poisonous to a community than rumors and gossips. They taint the good character of those who effortlessly stand out. They provide mediocre individuals with a means to become relevant. They set in like gangrene and eat away at the sense of decency that differentiates humans from animals.” – Wiss Auguste
43. “One who gossips usually carries boredom in one hand and bitterness in the other.” – Suzy Kassem
44. “There are rumors, rumors, rumors. I’m always the last one to know about these things, literally.” – Shawn Ashmore
45. “When you are rich and powerful, no one will challenge you to your face or give you a chance to explain yourself. All the whispers are behind your back. You are left with no means of clearing your own name. And after a while you realize there is no point in even attempting to do so. No one wants the truth. All anyone wants is the chance to add more fuel to the fires of gossip. The whispers become so loud that sometimes you think you will drown in them.” – Amanda Quick
46. “Rumors are always out there.” – Kevin Jonas
47. “It’s not mere extremism that makes folks at the fringes so troubling; it’s extremism wedded to false beliefs. Humans have long been dupes, easily gulled by rumors and flat-out lies.” – Jeffrey Kluger
48. “I haven’t read anything but regurgitated rumors. Nothing new, and nothing true.” – Layne Staley
49. “I think that people who make judgements about other people they don’t even know are shallow, and people who start rumors are shallow, and I really don’t care what shallow people say about me.” – Nina LaCour
50. “Fake friends believe in rumors. Real friends believe in you.” – Yolanda Hadid
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fake friends quotes to help you deal with deceptive people.
Rumor quotes about spreading lies
51. “Rumors spread on nights like this, under the cold darkness.” – Moïra Fowley-Doyle
52. “Stay away from people who gossip and spread rumors. They are choosing the path of emotional bullying and negativity.” – Steve Maraboli
53. “Rumors travel faster then the speed of light.” – Sukant Ratnakar
54. “They made burning statements with questions and killing tools out of laughs. It was mass cruelty. A mood comes alive. Words walking without a master.” – Zora Neale Hurston
55. “Anytime you speak to anybody, remember somebody.” – Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
56. “Rumors spread faster than news and news spreads faster than the happenings.” – Amit Abraham
57. “Worse than talking with a mouthful, is gossiping with a mouthful!” – Anthony Liccione
58. “The thing about rumors is that everyone believes something about them, even if they are completely unfounded.” – Carole Radziwill
59. “People just love rumors. They’re always saying things that aren’t true.” – Anuel AA
60. “I hope people stop judging others by blindly following rumors.” – Sara Khan
More rumor quotes and sayings
61. “I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center.” – Dwight Eisenhower
62. “Rumors are usually nothing more than what jealous people wished were true of you.” – Unknown
63. “Gossip is always a personal confession either of malice or imbecility.” – Josiah Gilbert Holland
65. “Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you.” – Spanish Proverb
66. “Rumor often is fathered and mothered by false report.” – Unknown
67. “The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.” – Will Rogers
68. “Denying rumors gave them more power.” – Unknown
69. “Gossip needs no carriage.” – Russian Proverb
70. “Rumor is rarely more interesting than fact, but it is always more readily available.” – Unknown
Thought Provoking Quotes About Rumors
71. “But it feels good to love a thing and not expect anything back. It feels good to not get an argument or any pushiness or any rumors or any bullshit. It’s love without strings. It’s ideal.” – A.S. King
72. “Rumors of coal’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated.” – Alan Johnson
73. “Appreciate the power of rumor, often malicious, no matter how preposterous, within the local populations you are seeking to help.” – Alvin Adams
74. “Rumor … often is fathered and mothered by false reports.” – Andre Norton
75. “Death is a distant rumor to the young.” – Andy Rooney
76. “The ball of rumor and criticism, once it starts rolling, is difficult to stop.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
77. “Rumor, once started, rushes on like a river, until it mingles with, and is lost in the sea.” – Antoine Rivarol
78. “Money talks. It starts rumors about careers and complicity and speaks of the tragedies and triumphs of our social lives.” – Barbara Kruger
79. “Rumors about me? Calista Flockhart, Pam Anderson, and Matt Damon. That’s who I’m dating.” – Ben Affleck
80. “People rely on Wikipedia, and a lot of it is wrong. But because there it is on the Internet, they assume it’s right. Rumor gets printed as fact. We may have lost our critical facility as a nation.” – Ben Mezrich
Rumor Quotes That Will Help You Think Before Spreading a Rumor
81. “If your foot slips, you may recover your balance, but if your tongue slips, you cannot recall your words.” – Martin Vanbee
82. “Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.” – Henry Thomas Buckle
83. “Don’t waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.” – Paulo Coelho
84. “A coward talks to everyone but YOU.” – Shannon L. Alder
85. “Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.” – Marie Curie
86. “Let today be the day you speak only the good you know of other people and encourage – others to do the same.” – Steve Maraboli
87. “Often those that criticize others reveal what he himself lacks.” – Shannon L. Alder
88. “Most gossip is envy in disguise.” – Matt Haig
89. “No one gossips about other people’s secret virtues.” – Bertrand Russell
90. “Insecure people only eclipse your sun because they’re jealous of your daylight and tired of their dark, starless nights.” – Shannon L. Alder
Which of these amazing rumor quotes encourages you to stop spreading gossip?
It can be devastating to hear savage rumors about yourself or a loved one. Sometimes gossip gets started due to jealousy, hurt, and hate. The next time you hear an untrue rumor, stand up for honesty and justice.
You have the power to stop rumors from spreading even if you weren’t the one who started it. Read these quotes about gossiping and rumors to motivate yourself to always tell the truth.
Don’t believe rumors and always trust your heart. If you start believing gossip and drama without having all the information, you’ll never know the truth. This collection of rumor quotes will remind you not to spread or believe hearsay.
At the end of the day, spreading rumors makes you look dishonest and untrustworthy. Listen to the advice from these rumor quotes and always tell the truth.
What are your favorite rumor quotes about gossiping and drama? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST