What do people mean when they say are “in sales?” Simply, it means that they are involved in selling either a service or product for which they receive compensation. This might mean they sell cars at a used lot, makeup from their house, or even corporate sales.
‘Sales’ is the broad term used to define the completion of the activities from these professionals that results in money and product or services exchanging hands. That makes the customer a critical part of the relationship, as you can see in these sales quotes.
Not everyone in sales is created equally. There are those who appear pushy or sleazy. There are also those who are so nice, that they don’t ask the consumer questions they should because they do not want anyone to think they are pushy.
When your lively hood depends on sales, it is vital that you find a balance between getting the job done, and not making your customer feel you have put them through the wringer.
Just how do you find the balance and skills that will make you an exceptional salesperson? Keep reading through these sales quotes to find out more about the customer and the psychology and soft skills used in sales.
Don’t forget to also check out these marketing quotes that will help boost your business or career.
Sales quotes about the customer
1. “Make a customer, not a sale.” — Katherine Barchetti
2. “Great salespeople are relationship builders who provide value and help their customers win.” — Jeffrey Gitomer
3. “Customers don’t care at all whether you close the deal or not. They care about improving their business.” — Aaron Ross
4. “If you are not taking care of your customer, your competitor will.” — Bob Hooey
5. “How you sell matters. What your process is matters. But how your customers feel when they engage with you matters more.” — Tiffani Bova
6. “Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.” — Seth Godin
7. “Merely satisfying customers will not be enough to earn their loyalty. Instead, they must experience exceptional service worthy of their repeat business and referral. Understand the factors that drive this customer revolution.” — Rick Tate
8. “Filter everything you’re doing, saying and pitching through the customer point of view, and you’ll improve just about every metric you care about today.” — Matt Heinz
9. “Approach each customer with the idea of helping him or her solve a problem or achieve a goal, not of selling a product or service.” — Brian Tracy
10. “Care enough to create value for customers. If you get that part right, selling is easy.” — Anthony Iannarino
11. “It is not your customer’s job to remember you. It is your obligation and responsibility to make sure they don’t have the chance to forget you.” — Patricia Fripp
12. “You don’t need a big close, as many sales reps believe. You risk losing your customers when you save all the good stuff for the end. Keep the customer actively involved throughout the presentation and watch your results improve.” — Harvey MacKay
Sales quotes about the salesman
13. “Sales are contingent upon the attitude of the salesman—not the attitude of the prospect.” — W. Clement Stone
14. “Most people think ‘selling’ is the same as ‘talking’. But the most effective salespeople know that listening is the most important part of their job.” — Roy Bartell
15. “Be an example. Are you prompt? Are you professional? Are you engaged? As sales leaders, we have to set the bar high for ourselves as well as our teams.” — Lori Richardson
16. “I think the biggest mistake that salespeople make today is that they try to pretend they’re not salespeople.” — Irreverent Sales Girl
17. “The best salespeople wonder what it would be like to be in the other person’s shoes. They know they can’t play that game unless they continually strive to train themselves in how we as human beings communicate.” — Bob Phibbs
18. “I design, manufacture, distribute, and sell elevator buttons. I specialize in the fourth floor. And I don’t mean to brag, but I’m such a good salesman that I could sell one of my fourth-floor elevator buttons to the owner of a three-story building.” — Jarod Kintz
Sales quotes that are short and won’t waste your time
19. “Don’t celebrate closing a sale, celebrate opening a relationship.” — Patricia Fripp
20. “Treat objections as requests for further information.” — Brian Tracy
21. “Never say more than is necessary.” — Richard Brinsley Sheridan
22. “Don’t sell life insurance. Sell what life insurance can do.” — Ben Feldman
23. “Nobody likes to be sold to, but everybody likes to buy.” — Earl Taylor
24. “If you don’t believe in what you’re selling, neither will your prospect.” — Frank Bettger
25. “In sales, a referral is the key to the door of resistance.” — Bo Bennett
26. “The best sales questions have your expertise wrapped into them.” — Jill Konrath
27. “Ninety percent of selling is conviction and 10 percent is persuasion.” — Shiv Khera
Sales quotes with helpful tips you can learn
28. “To build a long-term, successful enterprise, when you don’t close a sale, open a relationship.” — Patricia Fripp
29. “You have to drop your sales mentality and start working with your prospects as if they’ve already hired you.” — Jill Konrath
30. “Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, ‘Make me feel important.’ Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.” — Mary Kay Ash
31. “Sales is not about selling anymore, but about building trust and educating.” — Siva Devaki
32. “When reps take the role of a curious student rather than an informed expert, buyers are much more inclined to engage.” — Jeff Hoffman
33. “Keep your sales pipeline full by prospecting continuously. Always have more people to see than you have time to see them.” — Brian Tracy
34. “If your sales have tanked, maybe the issue is not your lack of sales skills, but you are rushing the knowing and trusting aspects of the buying process.” — Leanne Hoagland-Smith
35. “You need to be able to paint a picture in a conversation. The lost part of sales is the storytelling side.” — Richard Harris
36. “[Sales and marketing] have to start talking to each other. They’ve got to stop spilling each other’s beers.” — Ann Handley
37. “People don’t just buy your products that they can see; they buy your attitude that they can sense.” — Roxanne Emmerich
38. “Companies should be selling ideas more than benefits. Sell Ideas. Not stuff.” — Aaron Ross
39. “You’re only as good as your last sale, so you put your all into something and just hope that from that you can get your next job.” — Josh Peck
Sales quotes about the psychology of the consumer, and what selling really means
40. “On any given Monday, I am one sale closer and one idea away from being a millionaire.” — Larry D. Turner
41. “Sales success comes after you stretch yourself past your limits on a daily basis.” — Omar Periu
42. “Practice is just as valuable as a sale. The sale will make you a living; the skill will make you a fortune.” — Jim Rohn
43. “Sales is an outcome, not a goal. It’s a function of doing numerous things right, starting from the moment you target a potential prospect until you finalize the deal.” — Jill Konrath
44. “Selling is really about having conversations with people and helping improve their company or their life. If you look at it like that, selling is a very admirable thing to do.” — Lori Richardson
45. “The biggest challenge in business is not the competition, it’s what goes on inside your own head.” — Barbara Corcoran
46. “Before LinkedIn and other social networks, in the sales world, ABC stood for Always Be Closing. Now it means Always Be Connecting.” — Jill Rowley
47. “An effective process has the reps thinking in terms of ‘them’ as opposed to ‘us.’” — Trish Bertuzzi
48. “Sales success comes after you stretch yourself past your limits on a daily basis.” — Omar Periu
49. “Every sale has five obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” — Zig Ziglar
50. “People don’t buy because what you do is awesome. People buy because it makes them feel awesome.” — Tara Gentile
What did you learn from these sales quotes?
Working in sales can be a tightrope act between talking and listening, but overall the concept is easy. It is much easier to sell something you believe in to someone else because then you can focus on how that benefits the customer.
Get to know the needs of your customer and educate them on why your product will benefit them. Exceptional realtors don’t just take their clients to see every house, they listen to the feedback from the previous houses, and how their clients react.
Sure, maybe they told you they wanted three beds, two baths, and a pool, but you notice that every time you walk into a house that has stone features they react positively to it. They might not even say anything out loud, but they keep looking at it or touching it.
It is likely that they didn’t even know they liked it, but it is your job to pick up on their cues. It doesn’t matter what the product is, reading your customers is a skill that would do you well, if you work in sales.
Do you have any other sales quotes and sayings to add? What is the weirdest sales term or tip you have ever heard? Share it in the comment section below. My mother-in-law once told me, “You could sell ice cubes to Eskimos.” I had never heard that before, but I started thinking of all the reasons they would need ice cubes.
April 5, 2021 7:00 AM EST