Hurt Quotes for a Friend Who Needs Your Encouragement
These hurt quotes can help you bring someone out of the darkness.
March 15, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Chances are, we all know someone who is currently hurting, and these hurt quotes for a friend might be just the thing they need.
Pain is a human experience we all must live through as a necessary part of life.
Tell us about a time when your encouragement helped a friend using the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior, individuals with stronger social support networks experience less stress and better overall health outcomes than those without.
If your friend is hurting, sharing hurt quotes can be a way to show them that you are there for them and can provide the social support they need to cope with their stress.
What are the benefits of reading these hurt quotes for a friend?
Whether it’s a broken heart, disease, a shattered dream, or a terrible loss, we all know what it is to endure suffering.
And these hurt quotes will help you love your friends hard and encourage them through their dark times.
When those around us are hurting, sometimes it’s difficult to know what to do or say.
But even if you have not experienced the same trials and tribulations they’re going through, you can still be a good friend to those close to you that are hurting.
These hurt friend quotes will help you answer a few questions:
- How do we help a friend who is hurting?
- What should we say to someone who is struggling?
- How can we see the problem from our friend’s perspective?
Sometimes we feel like we can’t help because what they’re enduring is something that frightens us or something that we just don’t understand.
That said, sometimes we want to be an encouragement to our hurting friends, but we just can’t find the right words to express what we want to say.
In such cases, sharing inspiring words of encouragement with them can help ease their pain.
And not only this, but it shows them that someone truly cares.
In that respect, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and comforting hurt quotes, hurt sayings, and hurt proverbs collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Hurt quotes for a friend who needs your encouragement
A research study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that individuals who lack social support have an increased risk of mortality, equivalent to that of smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
This statistic underscores the importance of social support in maintaining good health and highlights the critical role that friends and loved ones can play in helping someone who is hurting.
1. “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching. Love like you’ll never be hurt. Sing like there’s nobody listening, and live like it’s heaven on earth.” – William W. Purkey
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
2. “To hurt is as human as to breathe.” – J.K. Rowling
You will also enjoy our article on getting over someone quotes.
3. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
You will also enjoy our article on break up quotes.
4. “Listen to God with a broken heart. He is not only the doctor who mends it, but also the father who wipes away the tears.” – Criss Jami
You will also enjoy our article on scar quotes.
5. “The hardest thing in life is to forgive. But hate is self-destructive. If you hate somebody you’re not hurting the person you hate, you’re hurting yourself. Forgiveness is healing.” – Louis Zamperini
You will also enjoy our article on resentment quotes.
6. “No one can continually insult you or hurt your feelings without your permission.” – Les Brown
You will also enjoy our article on betrayal quotes.
7. “You can set a boundary with your words when you are honest and when you establish a consequence for another’s hurtful actions.” – Henry Cloud
You will also enjoy our article on haters quotes.
8. “Keep in mind, hurting people often hurt other people as a result of their own pain… The last thing they need is for you to make matters worse by responding angrily.” – Joel Osteen
You will also enjoy our article on hate quotes.
9. “No matter how much it hurts now, someday you will look back and realize your struggles changed your life for the better.” – Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
10. “Withhold a smile only when the smile can hurt someone. Otherwise, let it bloom forth in a riot.” – Vera Nazarian
You might also like these fake friends quotes that will give you perspective on the difference between those who are real and those who aren’t.
Hurt quotes to make them feel better
A study in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research found that social support can help buffer the negative effects of stress and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Sharing hurt quotes with your friend can provide a sense of emotional support that can help them cope with their stress and improve their mental health.
11. “We cannot choose to have a life free of hurt. But we can choose to be free, to escape the past, no matter what befalls us, and to embrace the possible.” – Edith Eva Eger
You will also enjoy our article on walk away quotes.
12. “The greatest sympathy gift you can give a hurting friend or loved one is you. Your presence, compassion, patience and caring are the greatest gifts you could ever give to help them get through a difficult time.” – Michelle Pommells
You will also enjoy our article on self harm quotes.
13. “When we finally repent of our sin and forgive those who have hurt us – as God calls us to do over and over again in his Word – then the light of God shines like a bright, healing beam in our hearts and clears the vision of God before us.” – Matt Brown
You will also enjoy our article on best friend quotes.
14. “A pencil can correct any mistakes it makes and a person is also charged with the responsibility to make right that which has been done poorly, or to make amends if you have done wrong or hurt someone else.” – Byron Pulsifer
You will also enjoy our article on anger quotes.
15. “The best way to heal a broken heart, it turns out, is to find a way to move past the hurt.” – Mary Kay Andrews
You will also enjoy our article on forgiveness quotes.
16. “Never hold onto a hurt, because resentment tears you up. Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it’s going to kill someone else. It doesn’t work. You have to decide that, before anything else happens, you are going to forgive that person.” – Rick Warren
17. “Chances are someone has hurt you really bad and the only way you will be free from the anger is to forgive them.” – James Robor
18. “Forgiveness is the key to unlocking all the anger and hurt, the emptiness and darkness within. To unleash love, joy, fulfillment, and light inside. Why did I wait so long? I could’ve been feeling like this all along, you say to yourself.” – Zaneta Beverford
19. “Stop flogging yourself over the past mistakes and hurtful memories of the past.” – Kellie Sullivan
20. “Good people make mistakes and hurt others – then they learn from their mistakes and TRY not to make them again.” – Bob Anderson
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like our collection of happy birthday quotes and wishes for your best friend.
Hurt quotes for him or her
According to a study conducted by the American Psychological Association, nearly 80% of people who experienced emotional pain found comfort in positive quotes or affirmations.
These uplifting words can provide solace and encouragement to friends who are hurting, making a tangible difference in their emotional well-being.
21. “Many of us don’t realize the power words have. The words we use impact and influence the people around us more than we realize. They can hurt, they can encourage, they can change a person, they can inspire, and they can offer support and comfort.” – Catherine Pulsifer
22. “Broken hearts hurt but they will make you strong.” – Unknown
23. “When hardship occurs, it is easy to focus on hurt feelings attributed to the individuals you thought would show up that don’t – but I encourage you to instead embrace all the individuals that come out of the woodwork and surprise you.” – Steph Gold
24. “Develop compassion for someone who hurt you rather showing bitterness that will enable you to forgive them and make you feel comfortable.” – Lisa Adams
25. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
26. “Do talk about what needs to change, but try to find a positive way to go about it, this should help to lessen the chances of feelings being hurt, and still resolve the problems.” – Lesley Harriot
27. “There are times when it seems your heart is open to hurt but remember that every heart that is real also has the ability to recover and be stronger than before.” – Byron Pulsifer
28. “Nothing feels blessed about being broken. In fact, certain circumstances in life hurt so intensely that we think we will never heal. But blessing can come in the wake of our being broken.” – Charles Stanley
29. “When you hold a grudge, you want someone else’s sorrow to reflect your level of hurt but the two rarely meet.” – Steve Maraboli
30. “You cannot be with someone just because you don’t want to hurt him. You have your own happiness to think about.” – Melissa de la Cruz
Hurt quotes to help you demonstrate care and concern
Dr. Brené Brown’s research on vulnerability and empathy has demonstrated that empathetic responses, such as sharing a heartfelt quote, can significantly strengthen social connections.
By offering a comforting quote to a friend in need, you are fostering a sense of belonging and support that can alleviate their emotional distress.
31. “Take it from me: If you hear the past speaking to you, feel it tugging up your back and running its fingers up your spine, the best thing to do-the only thing-is run.” – Lauren Oliver
32. “There will always be someone willing to hurt you, put you down, gossip about you, belittle your accomplishments and judge your soul. It is a fact that we all must face. However, if you realize that God is a best friend that stands beside you when others cast stones you will never be afraid, never feel worthless and never feel alone.” – Shannon Alder
33. “Those who really love you don’t mean to hurt you and if they do, you can’t see it in their eyes but it hurts them too.” – Holly Black
34. “Warriors should suffer their pain silently.” – Erin Hunter
35. “Yes, I understand why things had to happen this way. I understand his reason for causing me pain. But mere understanding does not chase away the hurt. It does not call upon the sun when dark clouds have loomed over me. Let the rain come then if it must come! And let it wash away the dust that hurt my eyes!” – Jocelyn Soriano
36. “Whatever happens to you belongs to you. Make it yours. Feed it to yourself even if it feels impossible to swallow. Let it nurture you, because it will.” – Cheryl Strayed
37. “People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.” – Dan Pearce
38. “Live and allow others to live; hurt no one; life is dear to all living beings.” – Mahavira
39. “Yet I also believe that when you do unto others, blessings come to you as well. So if you don’t have a friend, be a friend. If you are having a bad day, make someone else’s day. If your feelings are hurt, heal those of another.” – Nick Vujici
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspirational quotes for friends to show just how much they mean to you.
40. “Sadly, some folks want others to feel their pain, to hurt as much as they do – or more. My grandmother once told me to avoid colds and angry people whenever I could. It’s sound advice.” – Walter Anderson
Comforting hurt quotes
A 2017 study by the University of Oxford found that individuals who received social support in the form of kind messages or quotes experienced reduced levels of stress and increased resilience.
By sharing a thoughtful quote with a friend who is hurting, you are actively promoting their emotional well-being and helping them build resilience in the face of adversity.
41. “If someone decides they’re not going to be happy, it’s not your problem. You don’t have to spend your time and energy trying to cheer up someone who has already decided to stay in a bad mood. Believe it or not, you can actually hurt people by playing into their self-pity.” – Joyce Meyer
42. “Cruelty is all out of ignorance. If you knew what was in store for you, you wouldn’t hurt anybody, because whatever you do comes back much more forceful than you send it out.” – Willie Nelson
43. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
44. “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden
45. “Work hard and have patience. Because no matter who you are, you’re going to get hurt in your career and you have to be patient to get through the injuries.” – Randy Johnson
46. “The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.” – Max Lerner
47. “Anybody who succeeds is helping people. The secret to success is find a need and fill it; find a hurt and heal it; find a problem and solve it.” – Robert H. Schuller
48. “At the end of a marathon, it’s going to hurt whether you’re speeding up or slowing down. You may as well push.” – Summer Sanders
49. “No matter how far life pushes you down, no matter how much you hurt, you can always bounce back.” – Sheryl Swoopes
50. “A stiff apology is a second insult… The injured party does not want to be compensated because he has been wronged; he wants to be healed because he has been hurt.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
Other insightful hurt quotes
51. “Work like you don’t need the money. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Dance like nobody’s watching.” – Satchel Paige
52. “Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.” – George R.R. Martin
53. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
54. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” – C. S. Lewis
55. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” – J.K. Rowling
56. “If you don’t give power to the words that people throw at you to hurt you, they don’t hurt you anymore. And you actually have power over those people.” – Stephen Colbert
57. “The truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. It sometimes causes us difficulties at home and abroad. It is sometimes used by our enemies in attempts to hurt us. But the American people are entitled to it, nonetheless.” – John McCain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John McCain quotes about character, America and more.
58. “You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” – Lewis B. Smedes
59. “Hurt leads to bitterness, bitterness to anger, travel too far that road and the way is lost.” – Terry Brooks
60. “We hurt people, when we give ourselves more value than others.” – Junaid Raza
Hurt quotes for a friend that can help get through tough times
61. “Forgive those who have hurt you.” — Les Brown
62. “We can feel sad, hurt, demoralized. But we can’t give up.” — Patrisse Cullors
63. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles M. Schulz
64. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” — Bob Marley
65. “There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.” — Erma Bombeck
66. “I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” — Mother Teresa
67. “Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly.” — Lawrence G. Lovasik
68. “There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.” — Harry Crews
69. “Using social media to hurt and destroy is callous, acted out by cowards hiding behind computers. My advice is to ignore negativity. Focus on the love around.” — Martin Garrix
70. “You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other.” — Stevie Ray Vaughan
Hurt quotes to enlighten you and offer perspective on what hurts people
71. “Of what use is a philosopher who doesn’t hurt anybody’s feelings?” — Diogenes
72. “With love, you should go ahead and take the risk of getting hurt because love is an amazing feeling.” — Britney Spears
73. “We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
74. “There’s a natural law of karma that vindictive people, who go out of their way to hurt others, will end up broke and alone.” — Sylvester Stallone
75. “Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness.” — Rumi
76. “I am a simple man who comes from a village, and villagers like us speak our mind. Now, in the process, if unknowingly my words came across as disrespectful or insulting, then I am deeply sorry. I don’t want to hurt anyone.” — Arijit Singh
77. “Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don’t let yourself believe it will happen to you.” — Muhammad Ali
78. “When we believe the best of people, we let go of each thing they do that is hurtful to us. And we choose to think things like, ‘I don’t believe they meant to hurt me.’ ‘Maybe they’re having a bad day or don’t feel well.’ ‘They probably don’t even realize how they sound.’” — Joyce Meyer
79. “Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble.” — Yehuda Berg
80. “A deep sense of love and belonging is an irreducible need of all people. We are biologically, cognitively, physically, and spiritually wired to love, to be loved, and to belong. When those needs are not met, we don’t function as we were meant to. We break. We fall apart. We numb. We ache. We hurt others. We get sick.” — Brene Brown
Hurt quotes to make you feel better
81. “Honesty is the cruelest game of all, because not only can you hurt someone – and hurt them to the bone – you can feel self-righteous about it at the same time.” – Dave Van Ronk
82. I think we’ve all been kind of… everyone’s been hurt, everyone’s felt loss, everyone has exultation, everyone has a need to be loved, or to have lost love, so when you play a character, you’re pulling out those little threads and turning them up a bit.” – Mark Ruffalo
83. “I really believe I’ve been a good person. Not perfect – forget about perfect – but just learning by what I was taught and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants – and a few other things as well – but I’ve never hurt anybody.” – Kiri Te Kanawa
84. “I have made terrible mistakes that have hurt the people that I cared about the most, and I am terribly sorry. I am deeply ashamed of my terrible judgment and my actions.” – Anthony Weiner
85. “I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I’m like, ‘My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don’t have it. I just want to chill.’ We all have self-doubt. You don’t deny it, but you also don’t capitulate to it. You embrace it.” – Kobe Bryant
86. “There is just so much hurt, disappointment, and oppression one can take… The line between reason and madness grows thinner.” – Rosa Parks
87. “I have never been hurt by what I have not said.” – Calvin Coolidge
88. “Don’t waste your time on revenge. Those who hurt you will eventually face their karma.” – Matava Pearl
89. “Many times, the decisions we make the effect and hurt your closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But God has forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time.” – Lex Luger
90. “It’s always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it’s just hilarious.” – Bill Hicks
Hurt quotes when people you love need encouragement
91. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
92. “Acceptance doesn’t mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and that there’s got to be a way through it.” – Michael J. Fox
93. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell
94. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
95. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
96. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
97. “Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices – today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.” – Kevyn Aucoin
98. “If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.” – H.G. Wells
99. “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!” – Charlie Chaplin
100. “The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” – Epictetus
Hurt quotes for friends who have had a bad day
101. “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong
102. “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
103. “Cheer up, tomorrow is another chance.” – Unknown
104. “There are bad times, but thats okay, just look for the love in it, don’t burn the day away.” – Dave Matthews Band
105. “Inhale. Exhale. Everything is going to be okay. Actually, it’s going to turn out better than okay.” – Unknown
106. “Try and fail, but don’t fail to try.” – John Quincy Adams
107. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
108. “When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top.” – Unknown
109. “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden
110. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
Hurt Quotes For A Friend To Help Someone Establish New Beginning
111. “Many people are suffering deep emotional anguish beneath the surface of their lives, and smile even as they hurt inside.” — Jim Palmer
112. “Why love if losing hurts so much? We love to know that we are not alone.” — C.S. Lewis
113. “Everything that hurts passes with time where each person heals on their own schedule. The pain becomes less and less but the memories of the past remain not as a stabbing thrust of a knife but as a tingle of good memories.” — Byron Pulsifer
114. “Sometimes you trust someone who turns out not to be honest. There are a lot of things that happen in life that don’t turn out the way you’re given the impression that they will. And I think that’s all kind of a con. But I think we’ve probably all been hurt.” — Sigourney Weaver
115. “Hope is such a beautiful word, but it often seems very fragile. Life is still being needlessly hurt and destroyed.” — Michael Jackson
116. “Nevertheless, if your prevailing choice has been one of happiness, it is my contention that the pain or hurt will not be the predominant emotional state for the rest of your life.” — Byron Pulsifer
117. “Compassion is supposed to hurt. If you can’t feel the pain of those around you, it is you who has the problem – not them.” — Josh Brendan
118. “But feeling hurt and pain, understanding where I live day in and day out – we tend to think that God is out of touch with these kinds of issues. Know that He is not.” — Barry D. Ham
119. “Fear of failure can hold anyone back from achieving their true potential. Whether it is because they are embarrassed by their friends or family finding out that they had failed in something, or if the failure would hurt the persons’ self-esteem.” — Simon Banner
120. “The truth is, words can hurt. And while they don’t physically break bones, they can damage your spirit.” — Susan Sprague
Hurt Quotes That Cheer You Up So you Move On
121. “Grieving is not weakness nor absence of faith. Grieving is as natural as crying when you are hurt, sleeping when you are tired or sneezing when your nose itches. It is nature’s way of healing a broken heart.” — Doug Manning
122. “The dark side. Always it speaks to us, from our pain. Our grief. It connects our pain to all pain, our hurt to all hurt.” — Yoda
123. “I’d rather end up bloody at the end of the day, then unhurt with no progress made, no knowledge gained. I’d rather have a no, then nothing.” — Laurell K. Hamilton
124. “In the Bible, Jesus taught that if we don’t forgive the people who hurt us in this life, there’s a pretty good chance God won’t forgive us in the next.” — Brian Jones
125. “Forgiving other people who have wronged us or hurt us or embarrassed us is not easy. In fact, sometimes it seems impossible. But that is what God did for us and what He asks us to do for others.” — Korie Robertson
126. “Explosive anger can really hurt your relationships with your spouse, kids, family, and friends. It causes lasting scars in the people you love most, and it can get in the way of resolving conflicts.” — Alexis G. Roldan
127. “You make mistakes. You try to learn from them, and when you don’t, it hurts even more.” — Aretha Franklin
128. “Every one of us, starting in childhood, had to learn how to deal with the skinned knees, hurt feelings, dashed hopes, and heartbreaking setbacks common to fallen humanity. How well we coped with these difficulties, challenges, and unexpected obstacles determined in large measure what sort of man or woman we’ve become and how we navigate our way through life.” — Kay Arthur
129. “A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me.” — Abraham Lincoln
130. “I don’t like to hurt people’s feelings, and I don’t like to knock other writers as a matter of principle.” — Lydia Davis
Hurt Quotes For a Friend To Help Forgive and Move On
131. “When you forgive, you heal your own anger and hurt and are able to let love lead again. It’s like spring cleaning for your heart.” ― Marci Shimoff
132. “I’ve learned…. That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you… More.” ― Andy Rooney
133. “When you can’t remember why you’re hurt, that’s when you’re healed.” ― Jane Fonda
134. “Your reactions to your enemy can hurt you more than your enemy can.” ― Hannah Hurnard
135. “Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” ― Ovid
136. “Don’t let anyone see your vulnerable spots. Once they knew how to hurt you, they would do it again and again.” ― Sarah Addison Allen
137. “Don’t let the hurt of today blind you to the hope of tomorrow. Disappointment ushers in a new appointment.” ― Lysa TerKeurst
138. “Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.” ― Mason Cooley
139. “It’s gonna hurt because it matters.” ― David Levithan
140. “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world… but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” ― John Green
Hurt Quotes for a Friend To Help Them Forgive and Move On
141. “The true mark of maturity is when someone hurts you and you try and understand their situation instead of hurting them back.” — Ryron Gracie
142. “I apologize to the women I’ve hurt. I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives.” — Dr. Dre
143. “It’s tough enough to have a relationship, and it hurts enough to have it not work.” — Kenny Chesney
144. “Your weak point is the open, vulnerable place where you can always be hurt. Love, in all its aspects, opens the self so fully.” — Jeanette Winterson
145. “I hurt with you. I bled with you – not only because we’re bonded but because of the love I have for you.” — Charlaine Harris
146. “I have managed to conceal my madness fairly effectively, and as far as I know it hasn’t hurt anybody badly, for which I am grateful.” — William Saroyan
147. “There are two types of pain: pain that hurts you and pain that changes you.” — Brett Hoebel
148. “I adore you, mon petit, and would never allow him to hurt you, no matter how gently or madly.” — Vladimir Nabokov
149. “Write hard and clear about what hurts.” — Ernest Hemingway
150. “One should not hurt others even by words. One must not speak an unpleasant truth unnecessarily.” — Sarada Devi
Hurt Quotes for a Friend To Help Them Stay Away from Hurt
151. “I see you. I will be careful with the places that hurt.” — Eileen Wilks
152. “Falling in love with someone is the surest highway to hurt that I know. When the door to love opens, the window to control closes.” — Ellen Hopkins
153. “So long as you write it away regularly nothing can really hurt you.” — Shirley Jackson
154. “To truly love is to have the courage to walk away and let the other person who wishes to be free go no matter how much it hurts.” — Taylor Swift
155. “Don’t trust anyone. Be a cold fish. I hurt no one. And no one can hurt me.” — Adeline Yen Mah
156. “My feelings were hurt. Once I started I couldn’t seem to let it go. Be strange if the person who matters most in the whole world couldn’t hurt your feelings, wouldn’t it?” — Eileen Wilks
157. “When you realize someone is trying to hurt you, it hurts less.” “Unless you love them.” — Shirley Hazzard
158. “Never become attached to anything that continues to hurt God. For you to be free of it, God must be allowed to hurt whatever it may be.” — Oswald Chambers
159. “It hurts to look at the clouds, but it also helps, like most things that cause pain.” — Matthew Quick
160. “But the problem with looking back when you should be walking ahead is that you usually end up walking into something that hurts.” — Megan Hart
Hurt Quotes For A Friend To Ease Their Mind
161. “We all get hurt some way or another, but not so hurt that we should want to stop being who we where designed and created to be.” — Cynthia Addison
162. “We have a choice when we get hurt; to fight back or forgive. The hardest choice is to forgive, but it is the choice that helps to build a peaceful community.” — Jean Howarth
163. “The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.” — Walt Disney
164. “You can’t hurt me, I found peace within myself.” — Michael Jackson
165. “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.” — Rumi
166. “The rain will stop, the night will end, the hurt will fade. Hope is never so lost that it can’t be found.” — Ernest Hemingway
167. “I can’t know how you’ve been hurt, but using your hurt to believe the wrong things ain’t good neither.” ― Pepper Basham
168. “Don’t hold grudges. Don’t let people who hurt you have any place in your heart. Neither good nor bad.” ― Garima Soni
169. “When you begin to realize that your past does not necessarily dictate the outcome of your future, then you can release the hurt. It is impossible to inhale new air until you exhale the old.” — T.D. Jakes
170. “People will hurt you. But don’t use that as an excuse for your poor choices, use it as motivation to make the right ones.” — Lecrae
Which of these hurt quotes resonated with you best?
Chances are you know someone who is currently hurting and enduring a difficult trial.
When those close to us are suffering, it’s upon us to help ease their pain and inspire them to see just how strong they really are.
You may not have experienced the same pain they’re enduring, but you can be a helpful friend to them.
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to be helpful to those hurting.
Which of these pain quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other inspiring quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share and inspire others.