Chances are, we all know someone who is currently hurting. Pain is a human experience we all must live through as a necessary part of life.
Whether it’s a broken heart, disease, a shattered dream, or a terrible loss, we all know what it is to endure suffering. And these hurt quotes will help you love your friends hard, and encourage them through their dark times.
When those around us are hurting, sometimes it can be difficult to know what to do or say. But even if you have not experienced the same trials and tribulations they’re going through, you can be still be a good friend to those close to you that are hurting.
How do we help a friend who is hurting? Sometimes we feel like we can’t help because what they’re enduring is something that frightens us, or something that we just don’t understand.
That said, there are times when we want to be an encouragement to our hurting friends but we just can’t find the right words to express what we want to say. In such cases, sharing with them inspiring words of encouragement can help ease their pain. And not only this, but it shows them that someone truly cares.
In that respect, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and comforting hurt quotes, hurt sayings, and hurt proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Hurt quotes for a friend who needs your encouragement
1. “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching. Love like you’ll never be hurt. Sing like there’s nobody listening, and live like it’s heaven on earth.” – William W. Purkey
2. “To hurt is as human as to breathe.” – J.K. Rowling
3. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
4. “Listen to God with a broken heart. He is not only the doctor who mends it, but also the father who wipes away the tears.” – Criss Jami
5. “The hardest thing in life is to forgive. But hate is self-destructive. If you hate somebody you’re not hurting the person you hate, you’re hurting yourself. Forgiveness is healing.” – Louis Zamperini
6. “No one can continually insult you or hurt your feelings without your permission.” – Les Brown
7. “You can set a boundary with your words when you are honest and when you establish a consequence for another’s hurtful actions.” – Henry Cloud
8. “Keep in mind, hurting people often hurt other people as a result of their own pain… The last thing they need is for you to make matters worse by responding angrily.” – Joel Osteen
9. “No matter how much it hurts now, someday you will look back and realize your struggles changed your life for the better.” – Unknown
10. “Withhold a smile only when the smile can hurt someone. Otherwise, let it bloom forth in a riot.” – Vera Nazarian
Hurt quotes to make them feel better
11. “We cannot choose to have a life free of hurt. But we can choose to be free, to escape the past, no matter what befalls us, and to embrace the possible.” – Edith Eva Eger
12. “The greatest sympathy gift you can give a hurting friend or loved one is you. Your presence, compassion, patience and caring are the greatest gifts you could ever give to help them get through a difficult time.” – Michelle Pommells
13. “When we finally repent of our sin and forgive those who have hurt us – as God calls us to do over and over again in his Word – then the light of God shines like a bright, healing beam in our hearts and clears the vision of God before us.” – Matt Brown
14. “A pencil can correct any mistakes it makes and a person is also charged with the responsibility to make right that which has been done poorly, or to make amends if you have done wrong or hurt someone else.” – Byron Pulsifer
15. “The best way to heal a broken heart, it turns out, is to find a way to move past the hurt.” – Mary Kay Andrews
16. “Never hold onto a hurt, because resentment tears you up. Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it’s going to kill someone else. It doesn’t work. You have to decide that, before anything else happens, you are going to forgive that person.” – Rick Warren
17. “Chances are someone has hurt you really bad and the only way you will be free from the anger is to forgive them.” – James Robor
18. “Forgiveness is the key to unlocking all the anger and hurt, the emptiness and darkness within. To unleash love, joy, fulfillment, and light inside. Why did I wait so long? I could’ve been feeling like this all along, you say to yourself.” – Zaneta Beverford
19. “Stop flogging yourself over the past mistakes and hurtful memories of the past.” – Kellie Sullivan
20. “Good people make mistakes and hurt others – then they learn from their mistakes and TRY not to make them again.” – Bob Anderson
Hurt quotes for him or her
21. “Many of us don’t realize the power words have. The words we use impact and influence the people around us more than we realize. They can hurt, they can encourage, they can change a person, they can inspire, and they can offer support and comfort.” – Catherine Pulsifer
22. “Broken hearts hurt but they will make you strong.” – Unknown
23. “When hardship occurs, it is easy to focus on hurt feelings attributed to the individuals you thought would show up that don’t – but I encourage you to instead embrace all the individuals that come out of the woodwork and surprise you.” – Steph Gold
24. “Develop compassion for someone who hurt you rather showing bitterness that will enable you to forgive them and make you feel comfortable.” – Lisa Adams
25. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
26. “Do talk about what needs to change, but try to find a positive way to go about it, this should help to lessen the chances of feelings being hurt, and still resolve the problems.” – Lesley Harriot
27. “There are times when it seems your heart is open to hurt but remember that every heart that is real also has the ability to recover and be stronger than before.” – Byron Pulsifer
28. “Nothing feels blessed about being broken. In fact, certain circumstances in life hurt so intensely that we think we will never heal. But blessing can come in the wake of our being broken.” – Charles Stanley
29. “When you hold a grudge, you want someone else’s sorrow to reflect your level of hurt but the two rarely meet.” – Steve Maraboli
30. “You cannot be with someone just because you don’t want to hurt him. You have your own happiness to think about.” – Melissa de la Cruz
Hurt quotes to help you demonstrate care and concern
31. “Take it from me: If you hear the past speaking to you, feel it tugging up your back and running its fingers up your spine, the best thing to do-the only thing-is run.” – Lauren Oliver
32. “There will always be someone willing to hurt you, put you down, gossip about you, belittle your accomplishments and judge your soul. It is a fact that we all must face. However, if you realize that God is a best friend that stands beside you when others cast stones you will never be afraid, never feel worthless and never feel alone.” – Shannon Alder
33. “Those who really love you don’t mean to hurt you and if they do, you can’t see it in their eyes but it hurts them too.” – Holly Black
34. “Warriors should suffer their pain silently.” – Erin Hunter
35. “Yes, I understand why things had to happen this way. I understand his reason for causing me pain. But mere understanding does not chase away the hurt. It does not call upon the sun when dark clouds have loomed over me. Let the rain come then if it must come! And let it wash away the dust that hurt my eyes!” – Jocelyn Soriano
36. “Whatever happens to you belongs to you. Make it yours. Feed it to yourself even if it feels impossible to swallow. Let it nurture you, because it will.” – Cheryl Strayed
37. “People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.” – Dan Pearce
38. “Live and allow others to live; hurt no one; life is dear to all living beings.” – Mahavira
39. “Yet I also believe that when you do unto others, blessings come to you as well. So if you don’t have a friend, be a friend. If you are having a bad day, make someone else’s day. If your feelings are hurt, heal those of another.” – Nick Vujici
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspirational quotes for friends to show just how much they mean to you.
40. “Sadly, some folks want others to feel their pain, to hurt as much as they do – or more. My grandmother once told me to avoid colds and angry people whenever I could. It’s sound advice.” – Walter Anderson
Comforting hurt quotes
41. “If someone decides they’re not going to be happy, it’s not your problem. You don’t have to spend your time and energy trying to cheer up someone who has already decided to stay in a bad mood. Believe it or not, you can actually hurt people by playing into their self-pity.” – Joyce Meyer
42. “Cruelty is all out of ignorance. If you knew what was in store for you, you wouldn’t hurt anybody, because whatever you do comes back much more forceful than you send it out.” – Willie Nelson
43. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
44. “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden
45. “Work hard and have patience. Because no matter who you are, you’re going to get hurt in your career and you have to be patient to get through the injuries.” – Randy Johnson
46. “The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.” – Max Lerner
47. “Anybody who succeeds is helping people. The secret to success is find a need and fill it; find a hurt and heal it; find a problem and solve it.” – Robert H. Schuller
48. “At the end of a marathon, it’s going to hurt whether you’re speeding up or slowing down. You may as well push.” – Summer Sanders
49. “No matter how far life pushes you down, no matter how much you hurt, you can always bounce back.” – Sheryl Swoopes
50. “A stiff apology is a second insult… The injured party does not want to be compensated because he has been wronged; he wants to be healed because he has been hurt.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
Other insightful hurt quotes
51. “Work like you don’t need the money. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Dance like nobody’s watching.” – Satchel Paige
52. “Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.” – George R.R. Martin
53. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
54. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” – C. S. Lewis
55. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” – J.K. Rowling
56. “If you don’t give power to the words that people throw at you to hurt you, they don’t hurt you anymore. And you actually have power over those people.” – Stephen Colbert
57. “The truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. It sometimes causes us difficulties at home and abroad. It is sometimes used by our enemies in attempts to hurt us. But the American people are entitled to it, nonetheless.” – John McCain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John McCain quotes about character, America and more.
58. “You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” – Lewis B. Smedes
59. “Hurt leads to bitterness, bitterness to anger, travel too far that road and the way is lost.” – Terry Brooks
60. “We hurt people, when we give ourselves more value than others.” – Junaid Raza
Which of these hurt quotes resonated with you best?
Chances are you know someone who is currently hurting and enduring a difficult trial. When those close to us are suffering, it’s upon us to help ease their pain and inspire them to see just how strong they really are.
You may not have experienced the same pain they’re enduring but you can be a helpful friend to them. Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to be helpful to those hurting.
Which of these pain quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspiring quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share and inspire others.
February 25, 2021 6:00 AM EST