These protests and activism quotes show the importance of making your voice heard.
Throughout history, protesting has been used as a way to push important changes to be made. Protests played have played a part in the Civil Rights Movement, the Women’s Rights Movement, and LGBT Right’s Movement. And while some important progress has been made in the world over the years, there is still work to be done.
Protests and activism are a few ways that people try to build awareness around important causes. They can help bring much-needed attention to conversations and changes that need to happen around the country and world.
The importance of protest and activism quotes
1. “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
2. “To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
3. “You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.” – Eldridge Cleaver
4. “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” – Malala Yousafzai
5. “I want to be proud of this country, but when aspects of our policy don’t align with my ethics, I want to protest them and try to change them.” – Shepard Fairey
6. “Protesting is about making history, creating art and protecting future generations.” – Steven Magee
Uniting through protest and activism quotes
7. “Let us remember we are all part of one American family. We are united in common values, and that includes belief in equality under the law, basic respect for public order, and the right of peaceful protest.” – Barack Obama
8. “Every moment is an organizing opportunity, every person a potential activist, every minute a chance to change the world.” – Dolores Huerta
9. “Most activism is brought about by us ordinary people.” – Patricia Hill Collins
10. “To the wrongs that need resistance, to the right that needs assistance, to the future in the distance, give yourselves.” – Carrie Chapman Catt
11. “Avoiding offense means that we don’t accept each other as equals.” – Ayaan Hirsi Ali
12. “You don’t fight racism with racism, the best way to fight racism is with solidarity.” – Bobby Seale
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of racism quotes about respect and equality.
13. “Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.” – John Lennon
14. “We have freedom of speech. We are able to hold hands in protest and stand up for what we believe in and have people hear what you have to say.” – Randy Orton
Also check out these LGBTQ quotes and sayings celebrating pride and love.
Bringing attention through protest and activism quotes
15. “It seems the only way to gain attention today is to organize a march and protest something.” – Billy Graham
16. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin
17. “Even the tiny protests help.” – Patsy Mink
18. “This is America. Anyone is free to protest about anything they want.” – Nikki Haley
19. “I think there’s a weapon of cynicism to say, ‘Protest doesn’t work. Organizing doesn’t work. Y’all are a bunch of hippies. You know, it doesn’t do anything.’ because, frankly, it’s said out of fear, because it is a potent force for political change.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
20. “I am mindful that the goal of protest is not more protest, but the goal of protest is change.” – DeRay Mckesson
21. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
22. “People might not protest for overtly political or social causes, but when they can’t feed themselves and their family, they will take to the streets.” – Marcus Samuelsson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of political quotes that show all perspectives.
Peaceful protest and activism quotes
23. “Before we went on any protest, whether it was sit-ins or the freedo rides or any march, we prepared ourselves, and we were disciplined. We were committed to the way of peace – the way of non-violence – the way of love – the way of life as the way of living.” – John Lewis
24. “Protesting is never a disturbance of the peace. Corruption, injustice, war and intimidation are disturbances of the peace.” – Bryant McGill
25. “If people want to protest, to get out there and express themselves, as long as they do it peacefully, they should be encouraged to do so.” – Keith Ellison
26. “Give light and people will find the way.” – Ella Baker
27. “If protesting, do no harm to yourself or others. Peaceful protest is more effective when creating real change. Peaceful protest wins over the hearts and minds of the majority. That majority continues to grow. It is like sunlight and water for your garden.” – Leland Lewis
28. “Peace cannot exist without justice, justice cannot exist without fairness, fairness cannot exist without development, development cannot exist without democracy, democracy cannot exist without respect for the identity and worth of cultures and peoples.” – Rigoberta Menchu
29. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
30. “Protesting oftentimes takes a stance of offense; a form of violence that may not always be physical but is a form of violence all the same. Everyone has the right to be heard, but only if they are willing to really listen to others in an attempt to understand.” – Eric Overby
31. “We must pursue peaceful end through peaceful means.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
You might also like these John Lewis quotes and sayings that will inspire you to continue his work
Protests and activism quotes by famous activists
32. “Preservation of one’s own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.” – Cesar Chave
33. “The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life.” – Jane Addams
34. “There is a spirit and a need and a man at the beginning of every great human advance. Every one of these must be right for that particular moment in history, or nothing happens.” – Coretta Scott King
35. “Protest is telling the truth in public. Sometimes protest is telling the truth to a public that isn’t quite ready to hear it. Protest is, in its own way, storytelling. We use our bodies, our words, our art, and our sounds both to tell the truth about the pain that we endure and to demand the justice that we know is possible. It is meant to build and to force a response.” – DeRay Mckesson
36. “No one will do for you what you need to do for yourself. We cannot afford to be separate. We have to see that all of us are in the same boat.” – Dorothy Height
37. “Wherever women gather together failure is impossible.” – Susan B. Anthony
38. “We build the path as we can, rock by rock.” – Hosea Williams
More protest and activism quotes
39. “I don’t think there’s any perfect way to protest.” – Megan Rapinoe
40. “Who can protest alone? Who dares rise up? It is not easy. One is all alone, and evermore shall be so.” – Michael Leunig
41. “I think of protest as confrontation and disruption, as the end of silence.” – DeRay Mckesson
42. “A right is not what someone gives you; it’s what no one can take from you.” – Ramsey Clark
43. “We too often bind ourselves by authorities rather than by the truth.” – Lucretia Mott
44. “I am not naive enough to believe that voting is the only way to bring about transformation change, just as I know that protest alone is not the sole solution to the challenges we face.” – DeRay Mckesson
45. “In protesting for your rights in any form you may, but it’s only good if they can understand your problems and feelings and not only to judge you.” – Auliq Ice
46. “I guarantee that the seed you plant in love, no matter how small, will grow into a mighty tree of refuge. We all want a future for ourselves and we must now care enough to create, nurture and secure a future for our children.” – Afeni Shakur
47. “It’s not unpatriotic to denounce an injustice committed on our behalf, perhaps it’s the most patriotic thing we can do.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
48. “When an individual is protesting society’s refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him.” – Bayard Rustin
49. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind s made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
50. “If you’re able to protest, protest. If you’re able to volunteer, volunteer.” – Ad-Rock
Did these activism quotes inspire you to stand up for what you believe?
What do you stand for? What can you do to bring attention and awareness to the changes that need to happen in our world to improve it for everyone?
Finding a way to make your voice heard may be a first step for you. Joining together in peaceful protests can shed light on crucial issues and problems that need to be addressed as Martin Luther King Jr. showed the world.
While you may not feel like one person can make a difference, joining together with others create change and a positive, lasting impact on the world around you. Speaking up can be one of the greatest contributions that you can make to the world.
Which of these protest and activism quotes inspired you the most? Do you have other motivational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
July 1, 2020 7:39 AM EST