The comeback quotes listed below will inspire you to turn your setback into a remarkable success story.
Everybody loves a good comeback story, whether it’s their own or someone else’s.
When you experience a bad turn of luck or somehow fall short of your goals, it’s incredibly satisfying to make a comeback and triumph in the end.
We all love seeing the underdog come out on top.
Besides your professional life or athletic development, where else can you make a great comeback?
It’s a sweet victory when you can deliver the perfect witty comeback to someone else’s snarky comment.
Having that sharp retort or clever quip at hand is tricky, and it always seems to occur to us long after the right time to use it.
Whether you need a quick answer for a cutting comment, or you’re seeking motivation after a setback, the comeback quotes and sayings below will help you prepare to make an inspiring comeback.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of rejection quotes about life, love, and goals.
Comeback quotes to motivate you after a setback
1. “To have a comeback, you have to have a setback.” – Mr. T
2. “That’s the greatest comeback since Lazarus.” – Sid Waddell
3. “Nothing is cooler and more attractive than a big comeback, and that’ll be me.” – Steven Adler
4. “I’m always making a comeback but nobody ever tells me where I’ve been.” – Billie Holiday
5. “Making a comeback is one of the most difficult things to do with dignity.” – Greg Lake
6. “To admit you want to have a comeback means you have to admit you weren’t what you were supposed to be. You dropped below your own standard.” – Marilyn Manson
7. “There’s nothing as exciting as a comeback – seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail, and then getting a second chance.” – Rachel Griffiths
8. “There is nothing as sweet as a comeback, when you are down and out, about to lose, and out of time.” – Anne Lamott
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of cool quotes about keeping a relaxed mind.
9. “I’m a comeback waiting to happen. No one deserves it more than I do.” – Sean Young
10. “I am facing a challenge, I am not facing defeat. Remember this.” – Nikki Rowe
11. “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Naoki Higashida
Quotes About Great Comebacks in Sports
12. “I’ve learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.”– Tom Landry
13. “The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.”– Pele
14. “I don’t know if God is a sports fan or not, but I do know this: He loves a good comeback.” – Lane Kiffin
15. “The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it.” – Vince Lombardi
16. “The only way to prove that you’re a good sport is to lose.”– Ernie Banks
17. “When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge.” – Terry Bradshaw
18. “Never give up, never give in, and when the upper hand is ours, may we have the ability to handle the win with the dignity that we absorbed the loss.”– Doug Williams
19. “Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.”– Marv Levy
20. “During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.” – Mickey Mantle
21. “To uncover your true potential you must first find your own limits and then you have to have the courage to blow past them.” – Picabo Street
22. “Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding.” – Jim Valvano
23. “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
Also check out our list of motivational Good Will Hunting quotes that will inspire you to realize your potential.
Comeback Quotes From Successful People About Being an Underdog
24. “I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the underdog, I still prepare a victory speech.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
25. “I’ve always felt like the underdog, and I’m comfortable with that label.” – Pink
26. “Well, any good comeback needs some true believers.” — John Boehner
27. “I’ve always been an underdog. I feel like I beat the odds.” – J. Cole
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of J. Cole quotes and lyrics on life & love.
28. “Champions keep playing until they get it right.”- Billie Jean King
29. “I was the undersized underdog who people never gave a chance. From that, the motivation to prove people wrong just grew and grew.” – Baker Mayfield
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of short motivational quotes that will get you ready to tackle the day.
30. “The moment you give up is the moment you let someone else win.” – Kobe Bryant
31. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up.” –Michael Jordan
Comeback Quotes About Finding the Perfect Snarky Comeback Way Too Late
32. “Turn every setback into a comeback” – Kobe Bryant
33. “You only think of the best comeback when you leave.” – Jimmy Fallon
34. “Any good comeback needs some true believers.” – John Boehner
35. “No matter how hard it is or how hard it gets, I’m going to make it.” –
36. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”– Nelson Mandela
37. “America loves a good comeback story!” — Laura van den Berg
You might also like these quotes on second chances in life, love and more.
Witty comeback quotes
38. “Of course I talk like an idiot. How else could you understand me?” – Unknown
39. “There’s no need to repeat yourself. I ignored you just fine the first time.” – Unknown
40. “You can never have the comeback if you don’t have the retirement.” — Chael Sonnen
41. “I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong.” – Unknown
42. “Insecure people don’t stage comebacks, since they don’t leave the scene.” — Atif Aslam
43. “Whenever I take a break for a couple of years, people use the term ‘comeback.’” — Pranitha Subhash
44. “Don’t say Aretha is making a comeback, because I’ve never been away!” — Aretha Franklin
45. “I’ve found puddles deeper than you.” – Unknown
46. “Comeback is a good word, man.” — Mickey Rourke
47. “I would love to make a comeback, but I don’t know if people would want to see me.” — Karan Kapoor
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these new month quotes that inspire new beginnings.
Hilarious comeback quotes
48. “You’re about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.” – Unknown
49. “It’s hilarious watching you try to fit your entire vocabulary into one sentence.” – Unknown
50. “The village called. They’d like their idiot back.” – Unknown
51. “Oh you’re talking to me, I thought you only talked behind my back.” – Unknown
52. “It’s a shame you can’t Photoshop your personality.” – Unknown
53. “My name must taste good because it’s always in your mouth.” – Unknown
54. “I’m an acquired taste. If you don’t like me, acquire some taste.” – Unknown
Don’t forget to also check out these warrior quotes on having an unbeatable mind.
Motivational comeback quotes
55. “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.” ― John F. Kennedy
56. “The true measure of success is how many times you can bounce back from failure.” – Stephen Richards
57. “Success is how high you bounce back after you hit bottom.”– General George Patton
58. “To persevere is important to everybody. Don’t give up. Don’t Give in. There is always an answer to everything.” – Louis Zamperini
59. “I do a movie once every four years and they call it a comeback.” – Pam Grier
60. “Comebacks don’t seem likely when your back is up against the wall and your hope is depleted. But if you will stay the course, you will discover God’s power to reverse the irreversible in your life.” — Tony Evans
61. “A great champion deals with setback with a comeback.” – Donna de Varona
62. “A champion is defined by the adversity he overcomes.” – Anderson Silva
63. “You may be in a tough time but that setback is simply a setup for a greater comeback.” – Joel Osteen
64. “Your setback is just a setup for your comeback.” – Steve Harvey
You might also like these disappointment quotes to inspire your next comeback.
More comeback quotes and sayings
65. “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” – Theodore Roosevelt
66. “When you’re crying, your tears may be watering the seeds of your come-back.” – Steve Maraboli
67. “A setback only paves a way for a comeback.” – Evander Holyfield
68. “Even when you have doubts, take that step. Take chances. Mistakes are never a failure – they can be turned into wisdom.” – Cat Cora
69. “Sometimes loneliness makes the loudest noise.” – Aaron Ben-Ze’ev
70. “It’s not too late for a new beginning.” – Eleanor Brown
71. “Books can teach you many nice comebacks.” – Tamuna Tsertsvadze
72. “A comeback is a setback that did its homework, learned the lesson, and then moved forward.” – Eleanor Brown
73. “Kindness is the key that opens the door of favour and beautiful surprises.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
74. “I’m coming back and I’m coming back swinging!”― Benjamin Ford Crouch
75. “My comeback was not about winning or losing; it was about the feeling of being able to compete at top level again.” – Thomas Muster
76. “I feel blessed to have as many comebacks as I can.” – Paula Abdul
Comeback quotes to motivate you to try again
76. “The truth is, you don’t learn much from winning, but losing can make you a lot stronger.”― Drew Brees
77. “When you hit hard tough stuff, do you feel flattened because of it or rebound in a new direction to keep living, loving, moving, and growing?” – Susan C. Young
78. “Own the sadness, don’t let it own you.” – Kwame Alexander
79. “It’s just one miss, but you’re gonna have a whole lotta makes in this life, ’cause you’re just that good, and it’s okay to be down and upset as long as you’re not down and out.” – Kwame Alexander
80. “Failure is a part of the process. You just learn to pick yourself back up.” ― Michelle Obama
81. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.” – Marilyn Monroe
82. “It’s not how far you fall, but how high you bounce that counts.” – Zig Ziglar
83. But ultimately what matters most is resilience–the ability to quickly rebound from failures, indeed to see failure as a stepping stone to success.” – Arianna Huffington
84. “Start today creating a vision for yourself, your life, and your career. Bounce back from adversity and create what you want, rebuild and rebrand.” – Germany Kent
85. “Success is sweet, especially when your enemies thought nothing good can come out of your life again.” – Bamigboye Olurotimi
Thought-provoking comeback quotes to help you bounce back
86. “Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
87. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Og Mandino
88. “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
89. “Losers quit when they fail. Winners fail until they succeed.” – Robert Kiyosaki
90. “You make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make you.” – Maxwell Maltz
91. “Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going.’ – Roy T. Bennett
92. “A career is a series of ups and downs, of comebacks.” – Steve Guttenberg
93. “Under pressure, would I fold and disappear, or would I show everyone that when bad things happen, you fight?”― Drew Brees
94. “I just showed the world tonight, everyone suffering from mental health. You can comeback, it can be done.” – Tyson Fury
95. “The secret of life is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.” — Paulo Coelho
Which of these comeback quotes inspired you to give it your all?
When you’re on the athletic field, it comes from enduring failures and losses, learning from them all the while. After you eventually triumph, you’ll feel the satisfaction of an extraordinary comeback.
Maybe your difficulties are in a different part of your life, like your job, your creative side, or your personal life. Wherever you are, your setbacks create an opportunity to persevere and make an inspirational comeback.
Finally, when it comes to conversation, a great funny comeback has to be delivered quickly and decisively, with the perfect blend of clever wit and dry humor. Now you are prepared to make your own great comeback.
May 31, 2022 5:39 AM EST