No matter your preferred pronouns, body positivity is important for everyone to embrace. Get motivated by the beautiful body positive quotes below.
What inspires you about the body positivity movement?
Whether it’s on social media, in magazines, or on television, unrealistic standards of beauty are constantly being thrown in our faces. Seeing those images constantly can lead to issues with self-worth and self-confidence.
The recent body positivity movement is inspiring people worldwide to love their bodies as they are. Today, we have compiled quotes from celebrities, authors, motivational speakers, and more about self-love, accepting yourself, and their own body struggles.
Enjoy the motivational quotes below and remember that the journey of accepting yourself is a marathon, not a sprint!
Body positive quotes about accepting yourself
1. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
2. “You have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise Hay
3. “If we base our self-worth on something as ever-changing as our bodies, we will forever be on the emotional roller coaster of body obsession and shame.” – Chrissy King
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of self worth quotes to boost your confidence.
4. “Hating our bodies is something that we learn, and it sure as hell is something that we can unlearn.” – Megan Jayne Crabbe
5. “Being unkind to your body in any given moment won’t change your body in that moment. It will change the way you feel about being in your body. You can interact with your body differently. You can choose your body back. Regardless of how easy or difficult it is to live there.” – Anna Sweeney
6. “Just because we have acne, tummy rolls, and chafing thighs doesn’t mean we need fixed. Period.” – Mik Zazon
7. “Remember that our bodies are always changing, and that’s okay. What’s really unhealthy is trying to fit into an unrealistic norm of what is seen as perfect.” – Olakemi
8. “Having a flat stomach doesn’t make you more worthy, it won’t make you happier, or more successful. You don’t need a toned stomach to wear a bikini.” – Rae Ann Langas
9. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
10. “Don’t let your mind bully your body.” – June Tomaso Wood
11. “To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are.” – Sven Goran Eriksson
12. “Life is too short to spend another at war with yourself.” – Ritu Ghatourey
Body Positive quotes about self-love
13. “Loving yourself is the greatest revolution.” – Unknown
14. “To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself heaven. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait, you die now. If you love, you live now.” – Alan Cohen
15. “You can’t hate yourself happy. You can’t criticize yourself thin. You can’t shame yourself worthy. Real change begins with self-love and self-care.” – Jessica Ortner
16. “You don’t need an excuse to feel good about yourself.” – Jessamyn Stanley
17. “Shine a great light on your most amazing qualities. We tend to focus on the negative aspects of us and forget all the greatness that we have within.” – Harnaam Kaur
18. “Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
19. “Worthiness does not have prerequisites.” – Brené Brown
20. “We can’t hate ourselves into a version of ourselves we can love.” – Lori Deschene
21. “We can climb mountains with self-love.” – Samira Wiley
22. “Loving yourself isn’t vanity. It’s sanity.” – Katrina Mayer
Beautiful body positive quotes
23. “And I said to my body, softly, “I want to be your friend. It took a long breath and replied, “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.” – Nayyirah Waheed
24. “Stop trying to fix your body. It was never broken.” – Eve Ensler
25. “Touch your body without shame or embarrassment or thoughts of it needing to be something else. Give yourself a hug before bed and tell yourself that it will be okay. Touch yourself with kindness every day—you’re in this relationship for the long haul.” – Megan Crabbe
26. “The relentless attempts to be thin take you further and further away from what could actually end your suffering: getting back in touch with who you really are. Your true nature. Your essence.” – Geneen Roth
27. “You are imperfect, permanently, and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.” – Amy Bloom
28. “I’ve finally recognized my body for what it is: a personality-delivery system, designed expressly to carry my character from place to place, now and in the years to come.” – Anna Quindlen
29. “Don’t change your body to get respect from society. Instead let’s change society to respect our bodies.” – Golda Poretsky
30. “Life is so much more beautiful than a number on a scale.” – Tess Munster
31. “I’ve learned to appreciate my body, because it’s taken me all the way here and will take me to the end.” – Clémentine Desseaux
32. “Your body is your home, your vessel in life. It needs to be respected and loved.” – Iskra Lawrence
33. “When we’re awake in our bodies and sense, the world comes alive. Wisdom, creativity, and love are discovered as we relax and awaken through our bodies.” – Tara Brach
Body Positive quotes from celebrities
34. “One day I decided that I was beautiful and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.” – Gabourey Sidibe
35. “I am a big girl. A voluptuous, curvy, dress-wearing, lesbian. I love my body; it’s the only one I’ll ever have. I am allowed to look sexy, feel sexy, and be in love. I am worthy of all of those things. And so are you.” – Mary Lambert
36. “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” – Serena Williams
37. “You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress, simultaneously.” – Sophia Bush
38. “I definitely have body issues, but everybody does. When you come to the realization that everybody does that—even the people that I consider flawless—then you can start to live with the way you are.” – Taylor Swift
39. “Your words have so much power. Every day, if you tell yourself ‘I love you,’ if you give yourself one word of validation, it will change your mind.” – Ashley Graham
40. “Even I don’t wake up looking like Cindy Crawford.” – Cindy Crawford
41. “I’m not going to apologize for my size. I’m not wrong for having the body that I do. I still deserve to dress cool. I still deserve to feel as glamorous or as “Hollywood cool” as anyone else.” – Aidy Bryant
42. “Step away from the mean girls and say bye-bye to feeling bad about your looks. Are you ready to stop colluding with a culture that makes so many of us feel physically inadequate? Say goodbye to your inner critic, and take this pledge to be kinder to yourself and others.” – Oprah Winfrey
43. “I keep telling myself that I’m a human being, an imperfect human being who’s not made to look like a doll.” – Emma Watson.
44. “When the demon starts to slither my way and say bad shit about me I turn around and say, ‘Hey. Cool it. Amy is my friend. Don’t talk about her like that.’ Sticking up for ourselves in the same way we would one of our friends is a hard but satisfying thing to do. Sometimes it works.” – Amy Poehler
45. “I say I love myself, and they’re like, ‘oh my gosh’, she’s so brave. She’s so political. For what? All I said is ‘I love myself, bitch!’” – Lizzo
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Lizzo quotes to encourage you to love yourself more.
46. “Be healthy and take care of yourself, but be happy with the beautiful things that make you, you.” – Beyonce Knowles
47. “Don’t waste so much time thinking about how much you weigh. There is no more mind-numbing, boring, idiotic, self-destructive diversion from the fun of living.” – Meryl Streep
48. “Take your time and your talent and figure out what you have to contribute to this world, and get over what the hell your butt looks like in those jeans!” – America Ferrera
49. “You’re a human being. You live once and life is wonderful, so eat the damn red velvet cupcake.” – Emma Stone
50. “I think, in a way, we’ve forgotten what a regular body looks like. There are people out there who are struggling, and I’m struggling, and it’s okay to come to terms with realizing it’s going to be a bit of a journey.” – Chrissy Teigen
What do you love the most about yourself?
If accepting yourself is hard to do at first, don’t fret! After dealing with a lifetime of expectations from family, significant others, friends, and society, it’s nearly impossible to change overnight.
Take each day as a single step towards loving yourself and focus on making small changes (i.e. saying positive affirmations, curate your social media feed to only show positive images, etc.).
Remember: your worthiness is not determined by your body. You are worthy because of all the beautiful things that make you, you.
What’s your favorite quote about body positivity? Who are you planning on sharing them with? Let us know below!