There are a ton of analogies about roads: life is like a road, the road to success, the road less traveled, and hard roads. Each of these 50 road quotes will inspire and remind you that even when the path seems difficult it can have beautiful results. Each of us has challenges and things that can create “roadblocks” on the path to happiness if we allow them to derail our progress.
Progress itself is relative. Some people run races along the road and others take a leisurely stroll. There really is no right answer, as those who run through quickly will get to see more of the road, and not miss anything before their time runs out.
The one who walks slowly will get to experience the beauty of some things the racer might have missed. Then there are those people who will take a completely different path and see a completely different scene. No matter who you are, I hope you find some motivation to continue to travel, or change roads in these quotes!
Don’t forget to also read these journey quotes celebrating your path to greatness.
Road quotes about life
1. “Life is not always perfect. Like a road, it has many bends, ups, and downs, but that’s its beauty.” ― Amit Ray
2. “They say life is a highway and we all travel our own roads, some good, some bad, yet each is a blessing of its own.” ― Jess “Chief” Brynjulson
3. “Love is this road we call life.” ― Wald Wassermann
4. “Life’s a one-way road, Don’t just stand next to it and wait to get a pick-up back.” ― Wouter Van Gastel
5. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you are riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” ― Bob Marley
Road quotes about the path to success
6. “The road to success is always under construction.” ― Steve Maraboli
7. “Failure, loss and defeat are just mile markers on the road to success.” ― Jeffrey Fry
8. “It is usually the roughest road that leads to the heights of greatness.” ― Ziad K. Abdelnour
9. “Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.” ― C. S. Lewis
10. “The road to success is built up as you travel, its blueprint never exists.” ― Vikrmn
11. “You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job, and not be paid for it.” ― Oprah Winfrey
12. “Many past mistakes pave the road to future discoveries.” ― Steven Magee
13. “Concentrate on the road ahead, not on the road behind!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
Hard road quotes
14. “If you don’t go to very difficult roads, you will only reach places where everyone reaches!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
15. “The most dangerous roads are those that provide sea level adapted humans rapid ascent to very high altitudes.” ― Steven Magee
16. “The road to fulfillment is never a straight one nor free of obstacles or debris.” ― Jeffrey Duarte
17. “The road may be rough, the journey may be tough and the experience may be bitter, but they are stepping stones to our future thrones.” ― Bamigboye Olurotimi
18. “All roads are tough, but you have to choose the one you know you’ll never be sorry for taking.” ― Chris Burkmenn
19. “Any road, smooth and straight leads to everywhere but important.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
20. “If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don’t want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all.” ― David Livingstone
21. “My favorite road I’ve ever been on ain’t paved.” ― Viktor Tatarczuk
22. “Why does every road eventually narrow into a point at the horizon? Because that’s where the point lies.” ― Vera Nazarian
23. “If the road is easy, it’s probably easy because it’s not a road and you’re not on it.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
Road quotes about taking the less-traveled path
24. “I’m not looking for a road to walk. Rather, I’m looking for a path to create. For creating a path shapes men, while walking a road simply appeases them.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
25. “A road often traveled has heavy traffic and you take more time to reach the destination.” ― Ajeet Sharma
26. “Who says there’s just one safe way to walk, one road properly lit, and the rest – all slippery water, unmarked?” ― Betsy Sholl
27. “Take the road less traveled. Get lost if you must, because only in losing yourself will you find your true path…” ― Virginia Alison
28. “The road that leads to nowhere for others might just be the road that leads to somewhere for you!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
29. “I think I would prefer to walk the road that didn’t exist until I walked it.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
30. “Travelling the road will tell you more about the road than the google will tell you about the road.” ― Amit Kalantri
31. “Entrepreneurs pay the price of a road less traveled, while everyone else takes the freeway and perpetually misses their own exit.” ― Ryan Lilly
32. “The road less traveled will not be smooth” ― Megan McCafferty
33. “Look for chances to take the less-traveled roads. There are no wrong turns.” — Susan Magsamen
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of travel quotes about the power of seeing the world.
Inspirational road quotes
34. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” ― Erol Ozan
35. “Any highway . . . they all take you to the same place, don’t they?” ― Jodi Picoult
36. “The road is a word, conceived elsewhere and laid across the country in the wound prepared for it: a word made concrete and thrust among us.” ― Wendell Berry
37. “When within yourself you find the road, the right road will open.” ― Dejan Stojanovic
38. “There’s more to getting to where you’re going then just knowing there’s a road.” ― Joan Lowery Nixon
39. “If one were given a single window from which to look upon the changing Eastern world, it should face, I think, the road.” ― Freya Stark
40. “Some roads steal your time; some roads steal your comfort and some roads steal your heart!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
41. “Just putting a sign on the road does nothing to change where that road is going.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
42. “The driver of an automobile on a lonely road is a set of perceptions mounted in the forehead of a mechanical monster.” ― Wallace Stegner
43. “The road is certain for anyone who ventures near it.” ― Donna Goddard
44. “Those who run to see the end of the road will miss the road itself when they see that there is nothing at the end of the road!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
45. “Change your direction any moment, you realize you are on the wrong road.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
46. “The road listens. It believes in you.” ― Foster Kinn
47. “Memory lane is not a road I like to go down. But that’s the only way to remember not to forget.” ― Manasa Rao Saarloos
48. “Never depend on a road, depend on your strides” ― Munia Khan
49. “The road to home is when we find our hearts filled with the stories of our people.” ― Psyche Roxas-Mendoza
50. “If someone is going down the wrong road, he doesn’t need motivation to speed him up. What he needs is education to turn him around.” ―Jim Rohn
More road quotes and sayings
51. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
52. “A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.” – Jean de La Fontaine
53. “Man stopped wanting to walk, to walk on his own feet and enjoy it. What’s more, he no longer saw his own life as a road, but as a highway.” – Milan Kundera
54. “You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
55. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.” – Dolly Parton
56. “The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same.” – Colin R. Davis
57. “A great accomplishment shouldn’t be the end of the road, just the starting point for the next leap forward.” – Harvey Mackay
58. “All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination.” – Earl Nightingale
59. “It’s a long old road, but I know I’m gonna find the end.” – Bessie Smith
60. “We will not be beaten. But we may be shamed and embarrassed on a needlessly long road to victory.” – Ralph Peters
Which of these road quotes is your favorite?
These road quotes had a little something for everyone! If you are happily strolling down a sunny little path contemplating your life and the beauty around you, I hope you meet your journey with gratitude. However, if your road is unlit and a little rocky, I hope you take each step with confidence, knowing that you are sure-footed.
If you are currently at a crossroads and debating which way is the right way to go, then trust your gut. Take a deep breath and know that you will be alright, no matter which course you choose. Taking the path less travelled (literally an overgrown, never walked on path) in high school with a friend of mine led to me falling in a 6-foot hole filled with thorns.
She had to go back and get the boy I liked to help pull me out. I was bloody and embarrassed (we missed the Phi Theta Kappa meeting we were supposed to attend), but oh, how we laughed. The three of us still laugh all these years later, and the writer in me has a great story to tell!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these road quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
June 25, 2020 7:33 AM EST