Your wedding day is an enormous deal—and these wedding day quotes will help you with everything from captioning your beautiful photos on Instagram to calming your nerves.
These quotes are hilarious, poignant, and romantic.
Wedding day superstitions abound and come from a variety of origins, which some of these quotes explain.
They come from the popular wedding experts over at The Knot.
Some superstitions have turned into common wedding day traditions, like having something new, something old, something borrowed, and something new.
Another tradition that happens on your wedding day is the speeches!
The best man and maid of honor typically give a speech, as do the parents of the bride and groom.
Other family members or friends might also want to say a few words.
If you are struggling with how to word your speech, then these wedding quotes might help inspire you.
Don’t forget to also check out these wedding quotes that celebrate love, friendship, and marriage.
Best wedding day captions for Instagram
1. “I just showed up for the cake.” — Unknown
2. “One day down, forever to go.” — Unknown
3. “I’d marry you anytime and anywhere.” — Unknown
4. “Do these outfits make us look married?” — Unknown
5. “Woke up and decided to get married today.” — Unknown
6. “This was clearly taken *before* I started crying.” — Unknown
7. “Today was so great, even our cake was in tiers.” — Unknown
8. “My name is cuter with your last name added to it.” — Unknown
9. “Cheers to love and laughter, but especially to our happily ever after.” — Unknown
10. “The best part of our wedding was realizing we don’t have to plan it anymore.” — Unknown
Wedding Day quotes about advice and things to consider beforehand
11. “Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight.” — Phyllis Diller
12. “The most important four words for a successful marriage: I’ll do the dishes.” — Unknown
13. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to persuade my wife to marry me.” — Winston Churchill
14. “What’s the best way to get your husband to remember your anniversary? Get married on his birthday.” — Cindy Garner
15. “Always get married in the morning. That way if it doesn’t work out, you haven’t wasted the whole day.” — Mickey Rooney
16. “Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet to see who they really are.” — Will Ferrell
17. “Remember that creating a successful marriage is like farming: you have to start over again every morning.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr
18. “If you love ’em in the morning with their eyes full of crust; if you love ’em at night with their hair full of rollers, chances are, you’re in love.” — Miles Davis
19. “Marriage is not just spiritual communion and passionate embraces; marriage is also three-meals-a-day and remembering to carry the trash out.” — Joyce Brothers
20. “Look, in my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you. The right person is still going to think the sun shines out of your ass.” — Mac MacGuff, Juno
Wedding day quotes about married people to make you laugh
21. “The ideal husband understands every word his wife doesn’t say.” — Alfred Hitchcock
22. “Husbands are like wine. They take a long time to mature.” — Donatella in Letters to Juliet
23. “I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now change your Facebook status.” — Unknown
24. “Before we got married, I caught her in my arms. Now I catch her in my pockets.” — Joginder Singh
25. “The best way to get most husbands to do something is to suggest perhaps they’re too old to do it.” — Ann Bancroft
26. “You know there is a name for people who are always wrong about everything all the time… Husband!” — Bill Maher
27. “Husbands and wives are so irritating. But without them, who would we blame for misplacing our socks?” — Janet Periat
28. “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” — Rita Rudner
29. “We were married for better or worse. I couldn’t have done better, and she couldn’t have done worse.” — Henry Youngman
30. “My wife, Mary, and I have been married for forty-seven years, and not once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce. Murder, yes, but divorce, never.” — Jack Benny
Wedding day quotes about superstitions from The Knot
31. “Peas are thrown at Czech newlyweds instead of rice.” — The Knot
32. “For good luck, Egyptian women pinch the bride on her wedding day. Ouch!” — The Knot
33. “Ancient Romans studied pig entrails to determine the luckiest time to marry.” — The Knot
34. “Moroccan women take a milk bath to purify themselves before their wedding ceremony.” — The Knot
35. “Rain on your wedding day is actually considered good luck, according to Hindu tradition.” — The Knot
36. “The groom carries the bride across the threshold to bravely protect her from evil spirits lurking below.” — The Knot
37. “Hey, brides, tuck a sugar cube into your glove—according to Greek culture, the sugar will sweeten your union.” — The Knot
38. “Saturday is the unluckiest wedding day, according to English folklore. Funny—it’s the most popular day of the week to marry!” — The Knot
39. “In English tradition, Wednesday is considered the “best day” to marry, although Monday is for wealth and Tuesday is for health.” — The Knot
40. “A Swedish bride puts a silver coin from her father and a gold coin from her mother in each shoe to ensure that she’ll never do without.” — The Knot
Wedding day quotes about happy marriages that are perfect for speeches
41. “The highest happiness on earth is the happiness of marriage.” — William Lyon Phelps
42. “A happy marriage is a long conversation, which always seems too short.” — André Maurois
43. “You don’t marry the person you can live with. You marry the person you can’t live without.” — Unknown
44. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” — Mignon McLaughlin
45. “It doesn’t matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other.” — Good Will Hunting
46. “Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.” — Tom Mullen
47. “There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” — Martin Luther
48. “A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.” — Pearl S. Buck
49. “The beauty of marriage is not always seen from the very beginning—but rather as love grows and develops over time.” — Fawn Weaver
50. “Marriage is the highest state of friendship. If happy, it lessens our cares by dividing them, at the same time that it doubles our pleasures by mutual participation.” — Samuel Richardson
Wedding Day Quotes To Spend Rest of Your Lives Together
51. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” — Edgar Allan Poe
52. “Two souls with but a single thought; two hearts that beat as one.” — John Keats
53. “Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.” — Robert Browning
54. “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” — Maya Angelou
55. “For you see, each day I love you more. Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.” — Rosemonde Gerard
56. “True love is never blind, but rather brings an added light.” — Phoebe Cary
57. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” — Andre Maurois
58. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” — A. A. Milne
59. “Walking with your hands in mine and mine in yours, that’s exactly where I want to be always.” — Fawn Weaver
60. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Bronte
Remember what your wedding day is really about
Your wedding day is special, no matter what it looks like, and you should enjoy it.
It doesn’t matter if you have had over a year to plan or put something together in a few months.
It also doesn’t matter if you eloped or had a massive party.
A wedding day is about the love of the two people joining their lives together.
The trappings, superstitions, and cake can make for a fun day and pretty pictures.
However, your marriage will be based on so much more.
Sure, happy wedding day memories can add to your bond and fill you with warm and fuzzy feelings.
However, if something goes wrong on your big day, it doesn’t mean your marriage is doomed.
When I worked at a bridal shop, I always told the brides to expect something to not go as planned.
There is so much pressure and planning on this one day that something is almost sure to get messed up.
The universe is funny like that.
My brother-in-law forgot the rings on our wedding day and literally ran out of the church to get them.
I stood there outside the doors of the vestibule, with the music playing, and my confused husband to be wondered if I had changed my mind.
It’s been nearly 20 years, and we still laugh about the things that went wrong on our wedding day.
I think that strengthens our bond in its own way too.
Take a breath, remember why you are getting married in the first place, and celebrate the special love between you and your partner.
The rest really doesn’t matter.
Which of these wedding day quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Share your funny wedding day stories with us in the comment section below.
September 14, 2022 7:00 AM EST