Grace Quotes That Will Change Your Life
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
When life isn’t going easy, these grace quotes will meet you where you are.
There are many definitions of the word grace.
Tell us what grace means to you in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A survey conducted by Gallup found that people who regularly read motivational quotes have a more positive outlook on life.
Explore our collection of grace quotes to cultivate positivity and hope in your daily life.
What are the benefits of reading grace quotes?
Grace can describe a ballerina’s beautiful and fluid movements or the act of honoring someone with your presence.
But when life is going hard, you’ve made wrong choices, or need a little forgiveness; those aren’t the meanings that you care about.
Instead, you want the grace that God or someone else shows by not giving you the punishment or treatment that you deserve after doing something wrong.
It is important that we use these grace quotes to:
- help us understand we need to give ourselves grace too
- improve our relationship with others by learning how to offer grace
- enrich the quality of our day and the impact we have on each other
It’s the kind treatment and extended patience that we all need from time to time.
To help nourish your soul, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and uplifting grace quotes, sayings, and proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Grace quotes that will elevate your perspective
Research from the University of Pennsylvania suggests that exposure to positive affirmations can improve self-esteem and reduce stress.
The study revealed that people who regularly read motivational grace quotes have a more positive outlook on life.
1. “Grace is free sovereign favor to the ill-deserving.” – Benjamin B. Warfield
You will also enjoy our article on spiritual quotes.
2. “Grace is the voice that calls us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off.” – Max Lucado
You will also enjoy our article on gratitude quotes.
3. “Grace, like water flows to the lowest part.” – Philip Yancey
You will also enjoy our article on forgiveness quotes life love friendship.
4. “Grace can neither be bought, earned, or won by the creature. If it could be, it would cease to be grace.” – Arthur W. Pink
You will also enjoy our article on courage quotes.
5. “Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.” – Jonathan Edwards
You will also enjoy our article on nature quotes.
6. “For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” – Saint Augustine of Hippo
You will also enjoy our article on spiritual awakening quotes.
7. “Courage is grace under pressure.” – Ernest Hemingway
You will also enjoy our article on relatable quotes.
8. “Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about comparison.
9. “Patience is a virtue; virtue is a grace.” – Jacob Rees-Mogg
You will also enjoy our article on religious quotes.
10. “The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.” – Aristotle
You will also enjoy our article on be yourself quotes.
11. “Grace needs to be the air we breathe, the atmosphere we live in, whether in church or in the home.” – Allen Snapp
You will also enjoy our article on blessed quotes.
12. “Grace is the very opposite of merit… Grace is not only undeserved favor, but it is favor, shown to the one who has deserved the very opposite.” – Harry Ironside
Grace quotes for the challenging days
In a study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, researchers found that experiencing grace can lead to increased resilience in the face of adversity.
Explore these grace quotes for inspiration during challenging times.
13. “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live. The law tells me how crooked I am. Grace comes along and straightens me out.” – Dwight Lyman Moody
You will also enjoy our article on encouraging quotes.
14. “Grace is to the body what good sense is to the mind.” – Rochefoucauld
You will also enjoy our article on Rumi quotes.
15. “What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God.” – Rick Warren
You will also enjoy our article on two-word quotes.
16. “Grace is sufficient even though we huff and puff with all our might to try and find something or someone that it cannot cover. Grace is enough.” – Brennan Manning
You will also enjoy our article on God is good quotes.
17. “Grace is something you can never get but can only be given. There’s no way to earn it or deserve it or bring about any more than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn good looks.” – Frederick Buechner
You might also like these double standard quotes that will make you morally outraged.
Grace quotes about God’s grace
According to a study conducted by the University of California, Berkeley, individuals who practice gratitude experience a 23% reduction in stress.
This finding demonstrates the importance of cultivating an attitude of gratitude, which can be achieved through reading and reflecting on grace quotes.
18. “We are born broken. We live mending. The grace of God is the glue.” —Eugene O’Neill
You will also enjoy our article on God give me strength quotes.
19. “You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.” – Charles Portis
You will also enjoy our article on unexpected quotes.
20. “Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God’s grace.” – Jerry Bridges
You will also enjoy our article on thank God quotes.
21. “The grace of the spirit comes only from heaven, and lights up the whole bodily presences.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
22. “Grace saves us from life without God—even more, it empowers us for life with God.” —Richard Foster
You will also enjoy our article on nourish your soul.
Grace quotes on how it impacts us
In a research study led by Dr. Robert Emmons, a professor at the University of California, Davis, it was found that people who regularly express gratitude report a greater sense of well-being and happiness.
By reading grace quotes, readers can foster a grateful mindset, which can have a positive impact on their overall mental health.
23. “Grace puts its hand on the boasting mouth, and shuts it once for all.” – Charles Spurgeon
You will also enjoy our article on breathe quotes.
24. “Nothing but grace makes a man so humble and, at the same time, so glad.” – C.H. Spurgeon
25. “Grace releases and affirms. It doesn’t smother. Grace values the dignity of individuals. It doesn’t destroy. Grace supports and encourages. It isn’t jealous or suspicious.” – Charles Swindoll
26. “When grace moves in… guilt moves out.” – Max Lucado
27. “Abounding sin is the terror of the world, but abounding grace is the hope of mankind.” – A.W. Tozer
28. “I am redeemed and saved by grace.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
29. “Grace is the love that gives, that loves the unlovely and the unlovable.” – Oswald C. Hoffmann
30. “The higher a man is in grace. The lower he will be in his own esteem.” – Charles Spurgeon
Grace quotes on showing it to others
A study by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley suggests that gratitude is linked to stronger immune systems and lower blood pressure.
Engaging with grace quotes can help readers develop a more grateful disposition, potentially contributing to improved physical health.
31. “If I’m not showing grace… have I forgotten the grace I’ve been shown.” – John F. Macarthur Jr.
32. “The motive and purpose behind the law … is to make it clear exactly how much you must do and no more. Grace refuses to put a ceiling or a floor on concern for the neighbor.” – Joseph Fletcher
33. “I give grace because I so desperately need it.” – Lysa Terkeurst
34. “Showing grace to others is about showing kindness even when they don’t deserve it.” – Dawn Klinge
35. “Grace is not opposed to effort; it’s opposed to earning.” – Dallas Willard
36. “Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary.” – Walter Scott
37. “Sometimes people are going to be rude. Instead of responding harshly, keep a calm spirit.” – Dawn Klinge
Grace quotes to nourish your soul
According to a study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, practicing gratitude and appreciation can improve mental and physical health, increase happiness, and decrease symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Sharing grace quotes can be a powerful way to cultivate a sense of gratitude and appreciation, leading to greater well-being and happiness.
38. “Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home.” – John Newton
39. “Good men do not always have grace and favor, lest they should be puffed up, and grow insolent and proud.” – John Chrystostom
40. “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” – Mark Twain
41. “Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness.” – Thomas Adams
42. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
43. “When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age.” – Victor Hugo
44. “Beware what you wish for, unless you have the grace to hope that your luck can be shared.”― Christopher Hitchens
45. “None so empty of grace as he that thinks he is full.” – Thomas Watson
More grace quotes and sayings
A survey conducted by the National Institutes of Health found that spirituality and a sense of purpose are important factors in promoting mental health and well-being.
Reading and sharing grace quotes can provide individuals with a sense of meaning and purpose, leading to greater resilience and overall well-being.
46. “Otherwise grace is no more grace,” since it is bestowed on us, not because we have done good works, but that we may be able to do them.” –
47. “Beauty is grace and confidence. I’ve learned to accept and appreciate what nature gave me.” – Lindsay Lohan
48. “Grace comes often clad in the dusky robe of desolation.” – Francis Beaumont
49. “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world.” – Francis Bacon
50. “All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” – Flannery O’Connor
51. “Grace is savage and must be savage in order to be perfect.” – Charles Warren Stoddard
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of savage quotes that will spark your inner boss.
52. “Grace must find expression in life, otherwise it is not grace.” – Karl Barth
53. “A graceful and pleasing figure is a perpetual letter of recommendation.” – Francis Bacon
54. “Grace is everywhere as an active orientation of all created reality toward God.” – Karl Rahner
55. “Whatever is graceful is virtuous, and whatever is virtuous is graceful.” –
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspirational grace quotes that will improve your day
According to a study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, forgiveness can lead to greater emotional well-being and reduced stress.
Grace quotes often emphasize the importance of forgiveness, providing individuals with a framework for healing and letting go of negative emotions.
56. “By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
57. “Life is grace. Sleep is forgiveness. The night absolves. Darkness wipes the slate clean, not spotless to be sure, but clean enough for another day’s chalking.” – Frederick Buechner
58. “When life doesn’t meet your expectations, it was important to take it with grace.” – Patricia Briggs
59. “Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.” – Wm. Paul Young
60. “Grace is a power that comes in and transforms a moment into something better.” – Caroline Myss
61. “Grace will follow us even when we are going the wrong way.” – Ricky Maye
62. “Grace is not simply leniency when we have sinned. Grace is the enabling gift of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon.” – John Piper
63. “Grace is God-given power to live differently.” – Judah Smith
64. “Grace is the seed of glory, the dawning of glory in the heart, and therefore grace is the earnest of the future inheritance.” – Jonathan Edwards
65. “Grace bends the rule for us when we accomplish in a few days what could have taken a lifetime to achieve.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
66. “The law works fear and wrath; grace works hope and mercy.” – Martin Luther
67. “And as grace is free, so is it sure. Nothing can change, or alter, or turn away sovereign grace.” – Alexander Whyte
68. “The law detects, grace alone conquers sin.” – Saint Augustine Of Hippo
69. “Grace tried is better than grace, and more than grace; it is glory in its infancy.” – Samuel Rutherford
70. “Immerse yourself in the curriculum of grace.” – Max Lucado
Grace quotes about faith and life
According to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center, about 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians, making Christianity the largest religion in the country.
This statistic can support the idea that faith is an important aspect of many people’s lives and why Grace quotes can resonate with a large audience.
71. “Every new day is a sacred gift with new sacred grace.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
72. “Grace isn’t just forgiveness, it is forgiveness fueled by surrender.” — Amy E. Spiegel
73. “Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds.” — Elie Wiesel
74. “It has been a great journey from where I have started to where I am today. I am really blessed with God’s grace.” — Dhanush
75. “All the ups and downs are grace in different wrappings, sent to refine consciousness. Say thanks to them all.”— Mooji
76. “Grace is not just enough, it is more than enough.”― John Paul Warren
77. “Courage is grace under pressure.”— Ernest Hemingway
78. “Feel your grace and beauty.”― Adrienne Posey
79. “Grace is a gentle thing. Easily destroyed by selfishness, envy, ill will, and fear. Easily invited by kindness, hope, forgiveness, and love.”― Donna Goddard, Touched by Love
80. “Grace is the growth of goodness.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
More grace quotes and sayings
A study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology found that people who practice gratitude have higher levels of life satisfaction and overall well-being.
This statistic can support the idea that Grace quotes about thankfulness and gratitude can have a positive impact on individuals’ mental health and encourage them to adopt a more positive outlook on life.
81. “Grace is not blind. It sees the hurt full well. But chooses to see God’s forgiveness even more.” – Max Lucado
82. “That is the mystery of grace: it never comes too late.” – Franois Mauriac
83. “Grace is not just about forgiveness but about life.” – Dallas Willard
84. “Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the moment he sees he is unworthy of God’s favor.” – Dwight L. Moody
85. “Life is a gift, and I try to respond with grace and courtesy.” – Maya Angelou
86. “If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.” – John Mark Mcmillan
87. “Grace is the only thing in the world that is stronger than shame.”― Richard Beck
88. “Grace is the overflowing favor of God, and you can always count on it being available to draw upon as needed.” – Oswald Chambers
89. “Grace trumps karma.”― Ayden Byle
90. “Grace gives power to do good.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Powerful grace quotes for life’s challenging moments
According to a study conducted by the National Institutes of Health, prayer and meditation can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
This statistic can support the idea that Grace quotes about seeking comfort in prayer can offer solace during difficult times and may even have health benefits.
91. “Grace is the beauty of form under the influence of freedom.” — Friedrich Schiller
92. “It is a grace to be able to hold on to someone who runs at life when you can only imagine walking.”― Chris Fabry
93. “Life is full of awe and grace and truth, mystery and wonder. I live in that atmosphere.” — Dion DiMucci
94. “Grace has the ability to change anything at any time.” — Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
95. “Learn to… be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.” — Henri Frederic Amiel
96. “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” — Elie Wiesel
97. “I do not at all understand the mystery of grace – only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.” — Anne Lamott
98. “Life is about choices, and the grace – or lack thereof – with which you execute them is a make-or-break moment in anyone’s life.” — Gina Torres
99. “The winds of grace are always blowing, but you have to raise the sail.” — Ramakrishna
100. “Without grace, our failures cannot become wisdom.”― Casey Tygrett
Encouraging grace quotes
101. “May grace and peace be multiplied to you.” – 1 Peter 1:2
102. “… bring your need, your troubles, your afflictions, your loneliness into the heart of God’s grace and deliverance.” – David Powlison, God’s Grace in Your Suffering
103. “Life is so much easier when I am aware of God’s grace in my life, all the wonderful gifts I’ve been given, and the people whom I have been blessed to meet and know.” – Joe Hoft, Loving, Blessing, and Being Aware of God’s Grace
104. “I want to focus on God’s grace and give thanks for all the good things in my life. I don’t want to focus on what I don’t have.” – Joyce Meyer
105. “Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it, and it is grace itself which makes this void.”― Simone Weil
106. “The grace that God gives is amazing. Through Jesus, He forgives our sins when we don’t deserve it and have no way to earn it.” – Adam Cumpston
107. “But God’s grace is also exhibited when we humbly bow before Christ in repentance and faith, for then we find forgiveness. Thank God for His grace, for without it we would have no hope!” – Billy Graham, Hope For Each Day
108.”In God’s mercy and grace, He forgives us and still loves us despite ourselves.” – Jeanette Duby, Bridge to Grace
109. “Grace is love that cares and stoops and rescues.” – John Stott
110. “If we ask God for a calm, thankful heart that sees all the blessings His grace imparts, He can teach us many lessons in illness that can never be learned in health.” – David Jeremiah, What In the World Is Going On
Grace Quotes To Give You a Peaceful Soul
111. “Basically, I started singing when I started talking. Music has just been my saving grace my whole life.” ― Mariah Carey
112. “It is the very nature of grace to make a man strive to be most eminent in that particular grace which is most opposed to his bosom sin.” ― Thomas Brooks
113. “Believe the best about people. Pray for their short comings. You are not the standard. We all need grace.” ― LeCrae
114. “As the grace of man is in the mind, so the beauty of the mind is eloquence.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
115. “Grace imitates modesty, as politeness imitates kindness.” ― Joseph Joubert
116. “Any artist should be grateful for a naive grace which puts him beyond the need to reason elaborately.” ― Saul Bellow
117. “I want, of course, peace, grace, and beauty. How do you do that? You work for it.” ― Studs Terkel
118. “I do not know any way to explain why God’s grace touches a man who seems unworthy of it.” ― Whittaker Chambers
119. “Nothing is old, nothing is new, save the light of grace underneath which beats a human heart.” ― Georges Rouault
120. “Strength is natural, but grace is the growth of habit. This charming quality requires practice if it is to become lasting.” ― Joseph Joubert
Grace Quotes To Uplift Your Spirit During A Troubling Phase
121. “We can be certain that God will give us the strength and resources we need to live through any situation in life that he ordains. The will of God will never take us where the grace of God cannot sustain us.” — Billy Graham
122. “True grace always produces vigilance rather than complacency; it always produces perseverance rather than indolence.” — Jerry Bridges
123. “If you feel powerless, do not fear. We have access by faith into God’s grace.” — Scott F. Neve
124. “God answers the mess of life with one word: Grace.” — Max Lucado
125. “Grace is ever present. All that is necessary is that you surrender to it.” — Ramana Maharshi
126. “Grace is what picks me up and lifts my wings high above and I fly! Grace always conquers! Be graceful in everything; in anger, in sadness, in joy, in kindness, in unkindness, retain grace with you!” ― C. JoyBell C
127. “It is the nature of grace always to fill spaces that have been empty.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
128. “Be watchful – the grace of God appears suddenly. It comes without warning to an open heart.” — Rumi
129. “Men may fall by sin, but cannot raise up themselves without the help of grace.” — John Bunyan
130. “Grace is God’s acceptance of us. Faith is our acceptance of God accepting us.” ― Adrian Rogers
Grace Quotes To Help You Overcome The Challenges
131.“I taught I had to be good to walk with God. And God said, “My grace is what you need to walk with me, than you will be good.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
132. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” ― Denis Waitley
133. “Whatever we are waiting for – peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance – it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart.” ― Sarah Ban Breathnach
134. “Only those who are truly aware of their sin can truly cherish grace.”
― C.J. Mahaney
135. “God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things which should be changed and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.” ― Reinhold Niebuhr
136.“Some people are desperate because they don’t know how to ask for His grace.” ― Bree Despain
137. “I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief… For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.” ― Wendell Berry
138. “Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason.” ― Pope Francis
139. “The meaning of life. The wasted years of life. The poor choices of life. God answers the mess of life with one word: ‘grace.’” ― Max Lucado
140. “In the year of 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening, which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life.” ― John Coltrane
Uplifting Grace Quotes to Enhance Your Life
141. “As I am humbled by my difficulties, so I am strengthened by God’s grace.” ― Alistair Begg
142. “Grace creates liberated laughter. The grace of God…is beautiful, and it radiates joy and awakens humor.” ― Karl Barth
143. “Grace is the atmosphere created by love that makes faith the only reasonable response.” ― Bill Johnson
144. “Grace does not overlook sin, it empowers righteousness!” ― Bill Johnson
145. “But by the grace of God I am what I am.” ― John Newton
146. “All our difficulties are only platforms for the manifestations of His grace, power and love.” ― Hudson Taylor
147. “Before I can preach love, mercy, and grace, I must preach sin, Law, and judgment. Preach 90% Law and 10% grace.” ― John Wesley
148. “Humor and paradox are often the only ways to respond to life’s sorrow with grace.” ― Matthew Fox
149. “True grace is natural, not artificial, because, however strenuously you strive to gain it, when it is gained it never gives the impression of effort or straining for effect.” ― Frederic Dan Huntington
150. “God giveth true grace to but a chosen few, however many aspire to it.” ― Orville Dewey
Grace: We all need it and have opportunities to extend it
If you need a little grace, it’s always available to you.
Not all people are experienced at, or good at, showing grace to others, but God’s grace is always available to you.
But grace isn’t only something that we all need.
It’s something that we can show others.
If someone has treated you wrong, you can choose to show them grace.
For instance, this could mean overlooking someone’s poor attitude towards you because you know they are dealing with a difficult situation in their personal life or offering to help someone that needs it and won’t ask for it.
While you can’t control if other people will show you grace when you need it, you can choose to give grace to others.
It’s difficult, but it’s well worth it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspiring grace quotes?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.
November 11, 2022 at 8:31 AM
The most important aspect of Grace is the favor of God’s “influence upon the heart and it’s reflection in the life.” It is never static, but always active, it is the power and strength over sin and sinning, were-as the Law is the opposite.
July 12, 2020 at 11:01 AM
May 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM
7. “Courage is grace under pressure.”
36. “Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary.”
41. “Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness.”
42. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.”
43. “When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age.”
Are literally my favourite.
Would have loved to see some more explanation about grace added by you.
Thanks for this unique compilation. Enjoyed it!