When life isn’t going easy, these grace quotes will meet you where you are.
There are many definitions of the word grace.
It can describe the beautiful and fluid movements of a ballerina or the act of honoring someone with your presence.
But when life is going hard, you’ve made wrong choices, or need a little forgiveness, those aren’t the meanings that you care about.
Instead, you want the grace that God or someone else shows by not giving you the punishment or treatment that you deserve after doing something wrong.
It’s the kind treatment and extended patience that we all need from time to time.
To help nourish your soul, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and uplifting grace quotes, sayings, and proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Grace quotes that will elevate your perspective
1. “Grace is free sovereign favor to the ill-deserving.” – Benjamin B. Warfield
2. “Grace is the voice that calls us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off.” – Max Lucado
3. “Grace, like water flows to the lowest part.” – Philip Yancey
4. “Grace can neither be bought, earned, or won by the creature. If it could be, it would cease to be grace.” – Arthur W. Pink
5. “Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.” – Jonathan Edwards
6. “For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” – Saint Augustine of Hippo
7. “Courage is grace under pressure.” – Ernest Hemingway
8. “Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Patience is a virtue; virtue is a grace.” – Jacob Rees-Mogg
10. “The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.” – Aristotle
11. “Grace needs to be the air we breathe, the atmosphere we live in, whether in church or in the home.” – Allen Snapp
12. “Grace is the very opposite of merit… Grace is not only undeserved favor, but it is favor, shown to the one who has deserved the very opposite.” – Harry Ironside
Grace quotes for the challenging days
13. “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live. The law tells me how crooked I am. Grace comes along and straightens me out.” – Dwight Lyman Moody
14. “Grace is to the body what good sense is to the mind.” – Rochefoucauld
15. “What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God.” – Rick Warren
16. “Grace is sufficient even though we huff and puff with all our might to try and find something or someone that it cannot cover. Grace is enough.” – Brennan Manning
17. “Grace is something you can never get but can only be given. There’s no way to earn it or deserve it or bring about any more than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn good looks.” – Frederick Buechner
Grace quotes about God’s grace
18. “We are born broken. We live mending. The grace of God is the glue.” —Eugene O’Neill
19. “You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.” – Charles Portis
20. “Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God’s grace.” – Jerry Bridges
21. “The grace of the spirit comes only from heaven, and lights up the whole bodily presences.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
22. “Grace saves us from life without God—even more, it empowers us for life with God.” —Richard Foster
Grace quotes on how it impacts us
23. “Grace puts its hand on the boasting mouth, and shuts it once for all.” – Charles Spurgeon
24. “Nothing but grace makes a man so humble and, at the same time, so glad.” – C.H. Spurgeon
25. “Grace releases and affirms. It doesn’t smother. Grace values the dignity of individuals. It doesn’t destroy. Grace supports and encourages. It isn’t jealous or suspicious.” – Charles Swindoll
26. “When grace moves in… guilt moves out.” – Max Lucado
27. “Abounding sin is the terror of the world, but abounding grace is the hope of mankind.” – A.W. Tozer
28. “I am redeemed and saved by grace.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
29. “Grace is the love that gives, that loves the unlovely and the unlovable.” – Oswald C. Hoffmann
30. “The higher a man is in grace. The lower he will be in his own esteem.” – Charles Spurgeon
Grace quotes on showing it to others
31. “If I’m not showing grace… have I forgotten the grace I’ve been shown.” – John F. Macarthur Jr.
32. “The motive and purpose behind the law … is to make it clear exactly how much you must do and no more. Grace refuses to put a ceiling or a floor on concern for the neighbor.” – Joseph Fletcher
33. “I give grace because I so desperately need it.” – Lysa Terkeurst
34. “Showing grace to others is about showing kindness even when they don’t deserve it.” – Dawn Klinge
35. “Grace is not opposed to effort; it’s opposed to earning.” – Dallas Willard
36. “Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary.” – Walter Scott
37. “Sometimes people are going to be rude. Instead of responding harshly, keep a calm spirit.” – Dawn Klinge
Grace quotes to nourish your soul
38. “Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home.” – John Newton
39. “Good men do not always have grace and favor, lest they should be puffed up, and grow insolent and proud.” – John Chrystostom
40. “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” – Mark Twain
41. “Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness.” – Thomas Adams
42. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
43. “When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age.” – Victor Hugo
44. “Beware what you wish for, unless you have the grace to hope that your luck can be shared.”― Christopher Hitchens
45. “None so empty of grace as he that thinks he is full.” – Thomas Watson
More grace quotes and sayings
46. “Otherwise grace is no more grace,” since it is bestowed on us, not because we have done good works, but that we may be able to do them.” –
47. “Beauty is grace and confidence. I’ve learned to accept and appreciate what nature gave me.” – Lindsay Lohan
48. “Grace comes often clad in the dusky robe of desolation.” – Francis Beaumont
49. “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world.” – Francis Bacon
50. “All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” – Flannery O’Connor
51. “Grace is savage and must be savage in order to be perfect.” – Charles Warren Stoddard
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of savage quotes that will spark your inner boss.
52. “Grace must find expression in life, otherwise it is not grace.” – Karl Barth
53. “A graceful and pleasing figure is a perpetual letter of recommendation.” – Francis Bacon
54. “Grace is everywhere as an active orientation of all created reality toward God.” – Karl Rahner
55. “Whatever is graceful is virtuous, and whatever is virtuous is graceful.” –
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspirational grace quotes that will make your day better
56. “By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
57. “Life is grace. Sleep is forgiveness. The night absolves. Darkness wipes the slate clean, not spotless to be sure, but clean enough for another day’s chalking.” – Frederick Buechner
58. “When life doesn’t meet your expectations, it was important to take it with grace.” – Patricia Briggs
59. “Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.” – Wm. Paul Young
60. “Grace is a power that comes in and transforms a moment into something better.” – Caroline Myss
61. “Grace will follow us even when we are going the wrong way.” – Ricky Maye
62. “Grace is not simply leniency when we have sinned. Grace is the enabling gift of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon.” – John Piper
63. “Grace is God-given power to live differently.” – Judah Smith
64. “Grace is the seed of glory, the dawning of glory in the heart, and therefore grace is the earnest of the future inheritance.” – Jonathan Edwards
65. “Grace bends the rule for us when we accomplish in a few days what could have taken a lifetime to achieve.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
66. “The law works fear and wrath; grace works hope and mercy.” – Martin Luther
67. “And as grace is free, so is it sure. Nothing can change, or alter, or turn away sovereign grace.” – Alexander Whyte
68. “The law detects, grace alone conquers sin.” – Saint Augustine Of Hippo
69. “Grace tried is better than grace, and more than grace; it is glory in its infancy.” – Samuel Rutherford
70. “Immerse yourself in the curriculum of grace.” – Max Lucado
Grace quotes about faith and life
71. “Every new day is a sacred gift with new sacred grace.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
72. “Grace isn’t just forgiveness, it is forgiveness fueled by surrender.” — Amy E. Spiegel
73. “Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds.” — Elie Wiesel
74. “It has been a great journey from where I have started to where I am today. I am really blessed with God’s grace.” — Dhanush
75. “All the ups and downs are grace in different wrappings, sent to refine consciousness. Say thanks to them all.”— Mooji
76. “Grace is not just enough, it is more than enough.”― John Paul Warren
77. “Courage is grace under pressure.”— Ernest Hemingway
78. “Feel your grace and beauty.”― Adrienne Posey
79. “Grace is a gentle thing. Easily destroyed by selfishness, envy, ill will, and fear. Easily invited by kindness, hope, forgiveness, and love.”― Donna Goddard, Touched by Love
80. “Grace is the growth of goodness.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
More grace quotes and sayings
81. “Grace is not blind. It sees the hurt full well. But chooses to see God’s forgiveness even more.” – Max Lucado
82. “That is the mystery of grace: it never comes too late.” – Franois Mauriac
83. “Grace is not just about forgiveness but about life.” – Dallas Willard
84. “Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the moment he sees he is unworthy of God’s favor.” – Dwight L. Moody
85. “Life is a gift, and I try to respond with grace and courtesy.” – Maya Angelou
86. “If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.” – John Mark Mcmillan
87. “Grace is the only thing in the world that is stronger than shame.”― Richard Beck
88. “Grace is the overflowing favor of God, and you can always count on it being available to draw upon as needed.” – Oswald Chambers
89. “Grace trumps karma.”― Ayden Byle
90. “Grace gives power to do good.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Powerful grace quotes for life’s challenging moments
91. “Grace is the beauty of form under the influence of freedom.” — Friedrich Schiller
92. “It is a grace to be able to hold on to someone who runs at life when you can only imagine walking.”― Chris Fabry
93. “Life is full of awe and grace and truth, mystery and wonder. I live in that atmosphere.” — Dion DiMucci
94. “Grace has the ability to change anything at any time.” — Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
95. “Learn to… be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.” — Henri Frederic Amiel
96. “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” — Elie Wiesel
97. “I do not at all understand the mystery of grace – only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.” — Anne Lamott
98. “Life is about choices, and the grace – or lack thereof – with which you execute them is a make-or-break moment in anyone’s life.” — Gina Torres
99. “The winds of grace are always blowing, but you have to raise the sail.” — Ramakrishna
100. “Without grace, our failures cannot become wisdom.”― Casey Tygrett
Encouraging grace quotes
101. “May grace and peace be multiplied to you.” – 1 Peter 1:2
102. “… bring your need, your troubles, your afflictions, your loneliness into the heart of God’s grace and deliverance.” – David Powlison, God’s Grace in Your Suffering
103. “Life is so much easier when I am aware of God’s grace in my life, all the wonderful gifts I’ve been given, and the people whom I have been blessed to meet and know.” – Joe Hoft, Loving, Blessing, and Being Aware of God’s Grace
104. “I want to focus on God’s grace and give thanks for all the good things in my life. I don’t want to focus on what I don’t have.” – Joyce Meyer
105. “Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it, and it is grace itself which makes this void.”― Simone Weil
106. “The grace that God gives is amazing. Through Jesus, He forgives our sins when we don’t deserve it and have no way to earn it.” – Adam Cumpston
107. “But God’s grace is also exhibited when we humbly bow before Christ in repentance and faith, for then we find forgiveness. Thank God for His grace, for without it we would have no hope!” – Billy Graham, Hope For Each Day
108.”In God’s mercy and grace, He forgives us and still loves us despite ourselves.” – Jeanette Duby, Bridge to Grace
109. “Grace is love that cares and stoops and rescues.” – John Stott
110. “If we ask God for a calm, thankful heart that sees all the blessings His grace imparts, He can teach us many lessons in illness that can never be learned in health.” – David Jeremiah, What In the World Is Going On
Grace: We all need it and have opportunities to extend it
If you need a little grace, it’s always available to you.
Not all people are experienced at, or good at, showing grace to others, but God’s grace is always available to you.
But grace isn’t only something that we all need, it’s something that we can show others.
If someone has treated you wrong, you can choose to show them grace.
For instance, this could be overlooking someone’s poor attitude towards you because you know they are dealing with a difficult situation in their personal life or offering to help someone that needs it and won’t ask for it.
While you can’t control if other people will show you grace when you need it, you can choose to give grace to others.
It’s difficult, but it’s well worth it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspiring grace quotes?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.
September 22, 2022 4:52 AM EST