When life isn’t going easy, these grace quotes will meet you where you are.
There are many different definitions of the word grace. It can be used to describe the beautiful and fluid movements of a ballerina or the act of honoring someone with your presence. But when life is going hard, you’ve made wrong choices or are in need of a little forgiveness, those aren’t the meanings that you care about.
Instead, you want the grace that God or someone else shows by not giving you the punishment or treatment that you deserve after doing something wrong. It’s the kind treatment and extended patience that we all need from time to time.
To help nourish your soul, below is our collection of inspirational, wise and uplifting grace quotes, sayings and proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Grace quotes that will elevate your perspective
1. “Grace is free sovereign favor to the ill-deserving.” – Benjamin B. Warfield
2. “For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” – Saint Augustine of Hippo
3. “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live. The law tells me how crooked I am. Grace comes along and straightens me out.” – Dwight Lyman Moody
4. “Grace can neither be bought, earned, or won by the creature. If it could be, it would cease to be grace.” – Arthur W. Pink
5. “Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.” – Jonathan Edwards
6. “Grace is the voice that calls us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off.” – Max Lucado
7. “Courage is grace under pressure.” – Ernest Hemingway
8. “Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Patience is a virtue; virtue is a grace.” – Jacob Rees-Mogg
10. “Grace is something you can never get but can only be given. There’s no way to earn it or deserve it or bring about anymore than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn good looks.” – Frederick Buechner
11. “Grace needs to be the air we breathe, the atmosphere we live in, whether in church or in the home.” – Allen Snapp
12. “Grace is the very opposite of merit… Grace is not only undeserved favor, but it is favor, shown to the one who has deserved the very opposite.” – Harry Ironside
Grace quotes for the challenging days
13. “Grace, like water flows to the lowest part.” – Philip Yancey
14. “Because of the favor of God, we can have peace in the midst of chaos.” – Crystal McDowell
15. “What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God.” – Rick Warren
16. “Grace is sufficient even though we huff and puff with all our might to try and find something or someone that it cannot cover. Grace is enough.” – Brennan Manning
17. “The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.” – Aristotle
Grace quotes about God’s grace
18. “A man can no more take in a supply of grace for the future than he can eat enough today to last him for the next 6 months, nor can he inhale sufficient air into his lungs with one breath to sustain life for a week to come. We are permitted to draw upon God’s store of grace from day to day as we need it.” – Dwight L. Moody
19. “You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.” – Charles Portis
20. “Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God’s grace.” – Jerry Bridges
21. “The grace of the spirit comes only from heaven, and lights up the whole bodily presences.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
22. “Grace does not depend on what we have done for God but rather what God has done for us. Ask people what they must do to get to heaven and most reply, “Be good.” Jesus’ stories contradict that answer. All we must do is cry, “Help!”” – Philip Yancey
Grace quotes on how it impacts us
23. “Grace puts its hand on the boasting mouth, and shuts it once for all.” – Charles Spurgeon
24. “Nothing but grace makes a man so humble and, at the same time, so glad.” – C.H. Spurgeon
25. “Grace releases and affirms. It doesn’t smother. Grace values the dignity of individuals. It doesn’t destroy. Grace supports and encourages. It isn’t jealous or suspicious.” – Charles Swindoll
26. “When grace moves in… guilt moves out.” – Max Lucado
27. “Abounding sin is the terror of the world, but abounding grace is the hope of mankind.” – A.W. Tozer
28. “I am redeemed and saved by grace.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
29. “Grace is the love that gives, that loves the unlovely and the unlovable.” – Oswald C. Hoffmann
30. “The higher a man is in grace. The lower he will be in his own esteem.” – Charles Spurgeon
Grace quotes on showing it to others
31. “If I’m not showing grace… have I forgotten the grace I’ve been shown.” – John F. Macarthur Jr.
32. “The motive and purpose behind the law … is to make it clear exactly how much you must do and no more. Grace refuses to put a ceiling or a floor on concern for the neighbor.” – Joseph Fletcher
33. “I give grace because I so desperately need it.” – Lysa Terkeurst
34. “Showing grace to others is about showing kindness even when they don’t deserve it.” – Dawn Klinge
35. “Grace is not opposed to effort; it’s opposed to earning.” – Dallas Willard
36. “Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary.” – Walter Scott
37. “Sometimes people are going to be rude. Instead of responding harshly, keep a calm spirit.” – Dawn Klinge
Grace quotes to nourish your soul
38. “Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home.” – John Newton
39. “Good men do not always have grace and favor, lest they should be puffed up, and grow insolent and proud.” – John Chrystostom
40. “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” – Mark Twain
41. “Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness.” – Thomas Adams
42. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
43. “When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age.” – Victor Hugo
44. “Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.” – avemateiu.com
45. “None so empty of grace as he that thinks he is full.” – Thomas Watson
More grace quotes and sayings
46. “Otherwise grace is no more grace,” since it is bestowed on us, not because we have done good works, but that we may be able to do them.” –
47. “Beauty is grace and confidence. I’ve learned to accept and appreciate what nature gave me.” – Lindsay Lohan
48. “Grace comes often clad in the dusky robe of desolation.” – Francis Beaumont
49. “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world.” – Francis Bacon
50. “All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” – Flannery O’Connor
51. “Grace is savage and must be savage in order to be perfect.” – Charles Warren Stoddard
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of savage quotes that will spark your inner boss.
52. “Grace must find expression in life, otherwise it is not grace.” – Karl Barth
53. “A graceful and pleasing figure is a perpetual letter of recommendation.” – Francis Bacon
54. “Grace is everywhere as an active orientation of all created reality toward God.” – Karl Rahner
55. “Whatever is graceful is virtuous, and whatever is virtuous is graceful.” –
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Grace: We all need it and have opportunities to extend it
If you need a little grace, it’s always available to you. Not all people are experienced at, or good at, showing grace to others, but God’s grace is always available to you.
But grace isn’t only something that we all need at times, it’s something that we can show others. If someone has treated you wrong, you can choose to show them grace. This could be overlooking someone’s bad attitude towards you because you know they are dealing with a difficult situation in their personal life or offering to help someone that needs it and won’t ask for it.
While you can’t control if other people will show you grace when you need it, you can choose to give grace to others. It’s not easy, but it’s well worth it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspiring grace quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
August 12, 2020 6:10 AM EST