Feminism Quotes About Empowerment and Equality for Women
You’ll be reminded that you’re courageous and unstoppable once you read these feminist quotes!
April 19, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Our latest collection of inspirational feminism quotes to make you feel empowered.
Throughout history, women have been battling against patriarchy and a predominately misogynistic society.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 61% of women and 44% of men in the United States identify as feminist or strongly feminist.
This statistic can help illustrate the growing acceptance and popularity of feminist ideals in contemporary society.
Women have banded together to fight for their right to vote, combat discrimination, disband rape culture and portrayal in the media, and reprimand crimes against the female gender.
Feminists have won some great victories, but the battle for gender equality has evolved into a powerful movement with ambitious feminists leading the charge.
The most recent #MeToo campaign has been shedding light on discrimination and exposing the predation of women in the entertainment industry.
It has offered a necessary outlet for victims of sexual assault and opportunities for more women and men to learn about and align with feminism.
It takes a courageous person to fight injustices and speak up for what is right.
To help fuel your feminist flame, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful feminism quotes, feminism sayings, and feminism proverbs, collected from a variety of sources.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
You will also enjoy our article on feminist quotes.
Feminism quotes about empowerment and equality for women
According to data from the United Nations, women make up only 24% of national parliamentarians worldwide.
This statistic can highlight the need for continued efforts to promote women’s political empowerment and representation.
1. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” – Brigham Young
You will also enjoy our article on sisterhood quotes.
2. “My coach said I run like a girl. And I said if he ran a little faster he could too.” – Mia Hamm
You will also enjoy our article on women empowerment quotes.
3. “We need to encourage girls that their voice matters. I think there are hundreds and thousands of Malalas out there.” – Malala Yousafzai
You will also enjoy our article on women supporting women quotes.
4. “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” —Margaret Thatcher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Thatcher quotes about strong will and leadership.
5. “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” ― Jane Austen, Persuasion (More quotes from Jane Austen.)
6. “Though we have the courage to raise our daughters more like our sons, we’ve rarely had the courage to raise our sons like our daughters.” – Gloria Steinem
You will also enjoy our article on womens day quotes.
7. “Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating.” – Andrea Dworkin
You will also enjoy our article on quotes for girls.
8. “Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with.” – Emma Watson
You will also enjoy our article on bell hooks quotes.
9. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
You will also enjoy our article on alice walker quotes.
10. “Feminism is not a dirty word. It does not mean you hate men. It does not mean you hate girls that have nice legs and a tan, and it does not mean you are a bitch or a dyke, it means you believe in equality.” – Kate Nash
You will also enjoy our article on black women quotes.
11. “[Unlikeable women] accept the consequences of their choices, and those consequences become stories worth reading.” – Roxane Gay
You will also enjoy our article on fleabag quotes.
12. “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.” – Madeleine Albright
Don’t forget to also read these women empowerment quotes for strong feminists.
Feminism Quotes about Self-determination and freedom
A report by the World Economic Forum found that at the current rate of progress, it will take 135 years to close the global gender wage gap.
This statistic can underscore the ongoing need for feminism and the fight for gender equality.
13. “My idea of feminism is self-determination, and it’s very open-ended: every woman has the right to become herself, and do whatever she needs to do.” – Ani DiFranco
You will also enjoy our article on glennon doyle quotes.
14. “Women, we endure those cuts in so many ways that we don’t even notice we’re cut. We are living with small tiny cuts, and we are bleeding every single day. And we’re still getting up.” – Michelle Obama
You will also enjoy our article on Russ quotes.
15. “A huge part of being a feminist is giving other women the freedom to make choices you might not necessarily make yourself.” – Lena Dunham
16. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” – Madonna
17. “I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my femininity. And I want to be respected in all my femaleness. Because I deserve to be.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
You will also enjoy our article on marie curie quotes.
18. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” — Madeleine Albright
19. “Feminism is not just about women; it’s about letting all people lead fuller lives.” – Jane Fonda
20. “Feminism isn’t a cloak that I put on in the morning and take off at certain times. It’s who I am. I look at the world through eyes that are very alert to gender injustice, and I always will.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
21. “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat.” – Rebecca West
22. “There’s just as many different kinds of feminism as there are women in the world.” – Kathleen Hanna
23. “Feminism is not dead, by no means. It has evolved. If you don’t like the term, change it for Goddess’ sake. Call it Aphrodite, or Venus, or bimbo, or whatever you want; the name doesn’t matter, as long as we understand what it is about, and we support it.” – Isabel Allende
24. “More than ever, I am aware of the need to support and celebrate each other. I like to believe I am part of a global support group network of 3.4 billion. Imagine: if you can fall back on the 3.5 billion sisters, and the many good men who are with us, what could we possibly not achieve?” – Nicole Kidman
25. “They tried to bury us; they did not know we were the seeds.” – Mexican Proverb
Also check out these bad bitch quotes that will inspire confidence within you.
Feminism Quotes to help you feel like a badass every day
According to a 2021 report by McKinsey & Company, women hold only 28% of top leadership positions globally.
This highlights the ongoing need for advocating and supporting women’s leadership development to ensure gender diversity and inclusion at the highest levels of organizations.
26. “There is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” – Virginia Woolf
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Virginia Woolf quotes that will help you understand life itself.
27. “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.” ― Irina Dunn
28. “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
29. “Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” — G.D. Anderson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
30. “Feminisim’s agenda is basic: it asks that women not be forced to choose between public justice and private happiness.” – Susan Faludi
31. “I want women’s rights to be equally honored, and uplifted, and heard…but I want to see us fighting the fight for all women — women of color, our LGBTQ sisters, our Muslim sisters. I want to see millions of us marching out there for our rights, and I want to see us out there marching for the rights of women like Dajerria Becton, who was body slammed by a cop while she was in her swimsuit for simply existing as a young, vocal, black girl. I think we are inching closer and closer there, and for that, I am very proud.” – Solange Knowles
32. “There’s a strong chance the next Bill Gates isn’t going to look anything like the last one. So I’m interested in finding solutions that will help ensure we recognize her when we see her.” – Melinda Gates
33. “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” – Charlotte Bronte
34. “I believe the rights of women and girls is the unfinished business of the 21st Century.” – Hillary Clinton
You will also enjoy our article on Dirty Harry quotes.
35. “I’m a feminist. I’ve been a female for a long time now. It’d be stupid not to be on my own side.” – Maya Angelou
36. “Why do people say “grow some balls”? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.” ― Sheng Wang
You might also like these powerful Margaret Mead quotes challenging societal stereotypes.
Feminism Quotes to make you strong
The gender pay gap remains a significant issue globally, with women earning less than men for the same work. According to data from the World Economic Forum’s 2021 Global Gender Gap Report, women earn only 68% of what men earn globally.
This data underscores the need for continued advocacy and policy changes to address pay equity.
37. “Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.” ― Cheris Kramarae
38. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde
39. “You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female.'” —Erin McKean
40. “I am not ashamed to dress ‘like a woman’ because I don’t think it’s shameful to be a woman.” – Iggy Pop
41. “Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them. – Unknown
42. “A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman.” —Melinda Gates
43. “We need everyone to be a feminist. Feminism is the fight for the equality of sexes, not for the domination of one sex over another.” – Najat Vallaud-Belkacem
44. “No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor.” – Betty Friedan
45. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.” – Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of international Women’s Day quotes celebrating womanhood.
46. “Your silence will not protect you.” – Audre Lorde
47. “One isn’t born courageous, one becomes it.” – Marjane Satrapi
48. “I do not wish women to have power over men; but over themselves.” – Mary Shelley
49. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens.” – Michelle Obama
50. “We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise, you would threaten the man.
Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same?
We raise girls to see each other as competitors not for jobs or accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing, but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out these queen quotes celebrating the women in your life.
Powerful feminism quotes to inspire you
Women continue to be underrepresented in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. According to data from UNESCO’s 2021 report on women in science, only 22% of AI researchers globally are women.
This highlights the need for increased efforts to encourage and support women’s participation in STEM fields.
51. “It will be great when it’s not such a big deal when a woman does a good job.” —Susan Sarandon
52. “Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.” —Marilyn Monroe
53. “Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” —Elizabeth Gilbert
54. “I don’t know a woman alive who isn’t courageous.” —Reese Witherspoon
55. “Don’t let anyone tell you you’re weak because you’re a woman.” —Mary Kom
56. “Don’t give up, don’t take anything personally, and don’t take no for an answer.” – Sophia Amoruso
57. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” —Oprah Winfrey
58. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
59. “I am a feminist. I’m proud to be a feminist.” —Justin Trudeau
60. “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else.” – Zendaya
You might also like these Bad Bitch quotes that will inspire confidence within you.
More feminism quotes and sayings
A survey by the Pew Research Center found that 61% of Americans believe that gender inequality remains a problem in our society.
This highlights the continued importance of feminism and the need for continued efforts to promote gender equality.
61. “It’s not my responsibility to be beautiful. I’m not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” – Warsan Shire
62. “The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.” – Roseanne Barr
63. “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” – Gloria Steinem
64. “He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman’s daughter. So far we are equal.” – Jane Austen
65. “Anything may happen when womanhood has ceased to be a protected occupation.” – Virginia Woolf
66. “My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
67. “The word feminism has become synonymous with man-hating when in fact it has more to do with women than men.” – Aysha Taryam
68. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
69. “Because when there is true equality, resentment does not exist.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
70. “Women are already born so far ahead ability-wise. The day men can give birth, that’s when we can start talking about equal rights.” – Chuck Palahniuk
71. “Women are leaders everywhere you look—from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.”—Nancy Pelosi
72. “Of course I am not worried about intimidating men. The type of man who will be intimidated by me is exactly the type of man I have no interest in.” — Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
73. “I’ve learned the main thing in life is that you get what you put in.” —Adele
74. “I have learned that it is no one else’s job to take care of me but me.” —Beyoncé
75. “I come in peace, but mean business.” —Janelle Monáe
76. “Don’t be a rock when you really are a gem.” —Lauryn Hill
You will also enjoy our article on Kenny Powers quotes.
Feminism Quotes Celebrating Strong Women Like You
According to a study by the United Nations, countries with higher levels of gender equality tend to have lower rates of poverty and greater economic growth.
This suggests that promoting gender equality can have positive economic impacts at both the individual and national levels.
77. “Life is not a competition between men and woman. It is a collaboration.” – David Alejandro Fearnhead
78. “The only thing required to be a woman is to identify as one. Period. End of story.” – Amanda Lovelace
79. “You deserve to be here. You deserve to exist. You deserve to take up space in this world of men.” – MacKenzi Lee
80. “The emerging woman … will be strong-minded, strong-hearted, strong-souled, and strong-bodied … strength and beauty must go together.” – Louisa May Alcott
81. “What I am proud of, what seems so simply clear, is that feminism is a way to FIGHT for justice, always in short supply.” – Barbara Strickland
82. “Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.” – Marie Shear
83. “To all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful, and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” – Hillary Clinton
84. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou
85. “Feminism is for everybody.” – Bell Hooks
86. “Words have power. TV has power. My pen has power.” – Shonda Rhimes
Feminism Quotes That Instill Courage In Women
A survey by the Harvard Business Review found that companies with more diverse leadership teams tend to perform better financially.
This highlights the importance of promoting gender equality and diversity in the workplace.
87. “You have what it takes to be a victorious, fearless, independent woman.” — Tyra Banks
88. “To me, feminism is probably the most important movement that you could embrace, because it’s just basically another word for equality.” — Taylor Swift
89. “One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.”― Simone de Beauvoir
90. “There are few women who go around actually feeling: Oh, what a fascinating feminine mystery I am.” ― Joanna Russ
91. “Feminism hasn’t failed, it’s just never been tried.” ― Hilary Mantel
92. “To understand feminism it implies one has to necessarily understand sexism.”― Bell Hooks
93. “A woman is human. She is not better, wiser, stronger, more intelligent, more creative, or more responsible than a man. Likewise, she is never less. Equality is a given. A woman is human.”― Vera Nazarian
94. “If women ruled the world there would be no wars. But, we all would have been aborted.”― Christy Leigh Stewart
95. “I’m attracted to films that have strong female characters because there are strong female characters in my life.” — Ryan Gosling
96. “Real men treat women with dignity and give them the respect they deserve.” — Prince Harry
Feminism Quotes That Will Make You More Ambitious
97. “Behind every great woman… is another great woman.” ― Kate Hodges
98. “No matter what happens, no matter who turns on me, no matter what pompous swine thinks he has power over me, I am still me. I will always be me.” ― Sara Raasch
99. “Feminism is an entire world view or gestalt, not just a laundry list of women’s issues.” — Charlotte Bunch
100. “No woman should be made to fear that she was not enough.” ― Samantha Shannon
101. “We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.” ― Beyoncé
102. “Young feminists are a thrilling phenomenon: smart, bold, funny defenders of rights and claimers of space—and changers of the conversation.” ― Rebecca Solnit
103. “Feminism…is not ‘women as victims’ but women refusing to be victims.” ― Gloria Steinem
104. “Woman is my slave name; feminism will give me freedom to seek some other identity altogether.” ― Ann Snitow
105. “Women’s work is never easy, never clean.” ― Tayari Jones
106. “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer.” ― Rihanna
Did You Enjoy These Feminism Quotes?
Feminism is a commendable crusade for women’s rights.
Gender parity is something that women have struggled to achieve for years.
Although there have been accomplishments along the way from outstanding and heroic women, the fight is certainly not over.
When things feel tough or if you’re needing an extra push of encouragement, nothing will make you feel prouder to be a woman than to read empowering feminism quotes from feminists who understand the struggle for the freedoms we have today.
Did you enjoy these feminism quotes?
Which one was your favorite quote?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, take a minute to share with your fans and followers.
January 25, 2019 at 2:38 PM
Thank you! these quotes are marvelous. Here’s one of my own—–
“What you want matters because YOU matter!”