In life, we are often guilty of unfairly comparing ourselves to others.
The grass may seem greener when we’re looking with envious eyes at the things we think we’re lacking.
But the truth is, you are uniquely you, and that is perfect!
Share your favorite quote about comparison with us in the comment section below.
Check out these inspirational be yourself quotes about comparison to others to remind yourself of just how awesome you are.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these comparison quotes?
Do you find yourself on social media comparing your life to others a little too much?
We got you!
From the time we are small, we learn to compare ourselves to others.
At a young age, it is our way of making sense of things, of figuring out our place in the world.
This can be fine if you have a strong sense of self and self-esteem.
However, if in comparing yourself to others, you decide that you are NOT as good as others, or not as capable, nor as likely to succeed, it can be very detrimental.
These comparison quotes will help you understand that comparison:
- should give you perspective
- can rob your happiness if you are not careful
- can be a giant waste of energy and time
As we get older and develop a stronger sense of self, knowing that comparing ourselves to others is NO longer necessary can be a very powerful and liberating concept.
You can have many small victories along the way and allow yourself to celebrate them.
Here are some wonderful quotes about comparison to others – and what you can learn from them.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Uplifting Quotes About Comparison To Give Us Perspective
1. “Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness.” – Allen Ginsberg
You will also enjoy our article on love yourself quotes.
2. “Have more than you show, and speak less than you know.” – William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on contentment quotes.
3. “Don’t compare yourself to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.”- Regina Brett
You will also enjoy our article on social media quotes.
4. “You don’t have to do what everyone else is doing.”- Oprah Winfrey
You will also enjoy our article on being single quotes.
5. “Focus on your journey, not the destination.” – Greg Anderson
You will also enjoy our article on being used quotes.
6. “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” – Coco Chanel
You will also enjoy our article on jealousy quotes.
7. “God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.” – William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on beauty quotes life.
8. “If you cannot be a poet, be the poem.” – David Carradine
You will also enjoy our article on butterfly quotes.
9. “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” – Dolly Parton
You will also enjoy our article on personal growth quotes.
10. “Our time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
Quotes on comparing your life to someone else
11. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
You will also enjoy our article on how to stop comparing yourself to others.
12. “Let it go. You can’t move forward if you keep looking back.” – April Harding, ‘Finding Peace, Fulfillment, and Contentment Being Single’
You will also enjoy our article on Baddie quotes.
13. “What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside you.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on Vanity quotes.
14. “We’re only envious of those already doing what we were made to do. Envy is a giant, flashing arrow pointing us toward our destiny.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
You will also enjoy our article on water quotes.
15. “Do what works for you. You don’t have to be Michael Jordan; you just have to do what you’re comfortable with.”
You will also enjoy our article on running quotes.
16. “Don’t compare your beginnings to someone else’s middle.” – Tim Hiller, ‘Strive: Life is Short, Pursue What Matters’
You will also enjoy our article on 50 good vs evil quotes for the light and dark side.
17. “Being a successful person is not necessarily defined by what you have achieved, but by what you have overcome.”- Fannie Flagg
You will also enjoy our article on Brian Tracy quotes.
18. “Channel your envy into purpose.”
You will also enjoy our article on cloud quotes.
19. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.”- Brené Brown
You will also enjoy our article on insecurity quotes.
20. “Can you remember who you were before the world told you who you should be?” – Danielle LaPorte
You will also enjoy our article on Taylor Swift quotes.
21. “Focus on what others have and you feel that you have so little.
Focus on what you do have and you realize that you have so much.”― Hrishikesh Agnihotri
22. “I will not reason and compare; my business is to create.” – William Blake, Jerusalem
Beautiful Quotes To Stop Comparing Yourself To Others
23. “Don’t compare your life with others. There’s no comparison between the sun and the moon. They shine when it’s their time.”― Anonymous
24. “Comparing yourself does more damage than any other self-destructive habit.”― Sarvesh Jain
25. “Comparing yourself with others is one of the highest forms of self-destruction and people who love themselves don’t destroy themselves.”― Sarvesh Jain
26. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
27. “The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday.” – Unknown
Inspirational comparison quotes on faith and love
28. “Faithless to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
30. “About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won’t like you at all.” – Rita Mae Brown
31. “Be yourself, don’t take anything from anyone, and never let them take you alive.” – Gerard Way
32. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” – Philip Pullman
33. “You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?” – Dr. Seuss
34. “Comparison leads to lack of contentment.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
35. “I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.” – Coco Chanel
More Quotes about Comparison
36. “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
37. “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.” – Judy Garland
38. “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” – E.E. Cummings
39. “Everything in life is easier when you don’t concern yourself with what everybody else is doing.”
40. “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
41. “Where’s your will to be weird?” – Jim Morrison
42. “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” – Oscar Wilde
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Oscar Wilde quotes from the iconic author.
Inspirational Quotes on Comparing Ourselves To Others
The act of comparison is an act of violence against the self.
Be your own cheerleader. STOP comparing yourself with others and focus on how you can become the best version of you.
Embrace your personal victories and combat your challenges head-on.
Don’t compare your chapter one to somebody else’s chapter 50.
Here are more motivational quotes about comparison.
43. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
44. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” – Steve Maraboli
45. “There is nothing more awful, insulting, and depressing than banality.” – Anton Chekhov
46. “I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever only rejoices me, and the heart appoints.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
47. “Personality begins where comparison leaves off. Be unique. Be memorable. Be confident. Be proud.” – Shannon L. Alder
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dolly Parton quotes from the iconic actress.
48. “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” – Homer
49. “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?” – Ru Paul
50th comparison quote
50. “They can’t scare me, if I scare them first.” – Lady Gaga
51. “Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.” – Gianni Versace
52. “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions … do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” – Tina Fey
53. “An unfulfilled vocation drains the color from a man’s entire existence.” – Balzac
54. “When I was a child my mother said to me, ‘If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general. If you become a monk, you’ll be the pope.’ Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.” – Picasso
55. “Follow your own star!” – Dante Alighieri
56. “You are not a bad person because you are gay. You are you because you are you and you were meant to be you – so be you proudly.” – Tegan Quin
57. “Don’t let others box you into their idea of what they think you should be. A confined identity is a miserable way to exist. Be you and live free. Trust that in living true to yourself, you will attract people that support and love you, just as you are.” – Jaedade Walt
58. “If you want to be yourself, sometimes you can’t compare the economic benefit with art.” – Kelly Liang
59. “To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.” – Bono
60. “Learn to… be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of grace quotes that will change your life.
61. “Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.” – Benjamin Disraeli
62. “If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise.” – Johann von Goethe
More Quotes about Comparison
63. “The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
64. “At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
65. “We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin.” – Andre Berthiaume
66. “One’s real life is often the life that one does not lead.” – Oscar Wilde
67. “Taking into account the public’s regrettable lack of taste, it is incumbent upon you not to fit in…” – Janeane Garofalo
68. “Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.” – Angelina Jolie
69. “My goal is not to be better than anyone else, but to be better than I used to be.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
70. “How many more of us are faking the facade? How many more of us are pretending to be something we’re not? Even better, how many of us will have the courage to be ourselves regardless of what others think?” – Katie McGarry
71. “Don’t dilute yourself for any person or any reason. You are enough! Be unapologetically you.” – Steve Mariboli
Quotes about comparing yourself to someone else
72. “Comparison is the death of joy.” ― Mark Twain
73. “Try not to get lost in comparing yourself to others. Discover your gifts and let them shine!” – Jennie Finch
74. “Comparison is the root cause of all evil.
Why compare when no two people are alike?” ― Haresh Sippy
75. “Enjoy your own life without comparing it with that of another.” – Marquis de Condorcet
76. “If you pay attention to your ranking and comparison to others, you are competing with others. If you ignore them, you can aim for the stars.” ― Khang Kijarro Nguyen
77. “Comparison drives you to the dead end of your dream, your vision and your destiny.” ― Eugenia Herlihy
78. “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” – Tim Hiller
79. “Comparison kills creativity. Stop comparing and start creating.” – Anonymous
80. “Do not compare yourself to anybody!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
81. “Don’t compare your weaknesses to someone else’s strengths.” – Anonymous
82. “More than comparing with somebody else, I’d prefer comparing my own work from film to film.” – Keerthy Suresh
83. “Learn not to compare yourself to other people because comparison will clip your wings and shoot you down.”― Eugenia Herlihy
84. “Comparison is a slippery slope to jealousy.” – Danielle LaPorte
85. “Your story is unique and so so different and not worthy of comparison.” – Anonymous
86. “Like anyone else, I can fall into these massive Instagram holes and start comparing myself to other people.” – Adwoa Aboah
87. “I heard comparison is the killer of joy
Oh boy, has it butchered my joy” ― Akachi Obijiaku
Compassion quotes to inspire and motivate you
88. “There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding and that which is lost by not trying.” – Francis Bacon
89. “No one is perfect no matter how hard they pretend they are, so don’t compare yourself to them,” Will says.”― If I Wake
90. “Comparison with myself brings improvement, comparison with others brings discontent.” – Betty Jamie Chung
91. “Do not compete with anyone. Seek to exceed your own expectations.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
92. “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.”– Steve Furtick
93. “Comparisons make you feel superior or inferior, neither serve a useful purpose.” –Jane Travis
94. “Uniqueness lies in not comparing oneself to others.” ― Raheel Farooq
95. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
– Lao Tzu
96. “Forget about trying to compete with someone else. Create your own pathway. Create your own new vision.” – Herbie Hancock
97. “Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.”– Nido Qubein
98. “Haters have fallen into the tragic mindset of comparison; a form of psychological suicide.” ― Steve Maraboli
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of suicide quotes that can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
99. “Compare the luxuries with a neighbour to feel bad, compare the miseries with a neighbour to feel good.”― Amit Kalantri
100. “Don’t compare yourself with other people; compare yourself with who you were yesterday.” – Jordan Peterson
Comparison quotes that will change the way you think
101. “Comparison is an act of violence committed against one’s self.”― Clyde Lee Dennis
102. “Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Unknown
103. “Don’t value your self-worth by others or external things but by appreciating who you are within. And if you must measure your success do it not by what you have gained personally but what you have
contributed to a wider benefit.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
104. “It has nothing to do with who I am as compared to everyone else. It has everything to do with who I am in companionship with God.”― Craig D. Lounsbrough
105. “There is no need for comparison. Be happy with yourself and find satisfaction in your work.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
106. “After so many years struggling to keep up with you, I finally realized we’re not even running the same race.” ― Scott Stabile
107. “Comparison is the most poisonous element in the human heart because it destroys ingenuity and it robs peace and joy.”― Euginia Herlihy
108. “Look in the mirror rather than at your neighbor.” – Frank Sonnenberg
109. “You are not required to perform like them, you are required to perform like you.”― Bangambiki Habyarimana
110. “Trying to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” ― Marilyn Monroe
111. “Comparison can turn friends into adversaries.”― Frank Sonnenberg
112. “Other people’s lives seem better than yours because you’re comparing their director’s cuts with your behind the scenes.” ― Evan Rauch
113. “Don’t compare the size of your roof with the size of the sky.”― Amit Kalantri
114. “Comparison is bad news, stay away from it as far as possible.”― Euginia Herlihy
115. “Comparison is a waste of energy. Every individual is unique with unique talents. Find your passion and live your best life.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Other inspirational quotes about comparison
116. “The fact that someone else loves you doesn’t rescue you from the project of loving yourself.” – Sahaj Kohli
117. “You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.” – Unknown
118. “Dear YOU, don’t compare yourself to ANYONE. Your Unique Self is empowered, powerful, and unstoppable! Your uniqueness is what makes you incomparable! Don’t underestimate the beauty of just being YOU.” – Stephanie Lahart
119. “You marvel and applaud big heroes in their big heroic actions, and forget you are a hero in your humble life and have modest heroic actions to complete yourself.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of hero quotes that inspire everyone to make a difference.
120. “We can all focus on our chapter of life instead of complaining about, and comparing ourselves with, other people who are enjoying their own chapter of life.” – Olawale Daniel
121. “Better to look broke and debt-free than to look good and in deep debt.” – Abdul Malik Omar
122. “Better is always subjective. It should rest free of any judgment or comparison. However, it is still attainable for oneself. It should always inspire.” – Naide P Obiang
123. “Do yourself a favor never compare yourself to others because comparison swallows your God given gift.” – Euginia Herlihy
124. “If you think by comparing them you’re making them inspire, you couldn’t be more wrong.” – Sarvesh Jain
125. “Comparison paralyzes progress, both of the mind and the society.” – Abhijit Naskar
Thought-provoking comparison quotes
126. “Never never never compare yourself to the beautiful girls. There’s always someone gorgeous who will make you feel like you’re not. It’s a total confidence buster!” – Taylor Swift
127. “Why compare yourself to others? No one is the entire world can do a better job of being you than you.” – Anonymous
128. “Personality begins where comparison ends.” – Karl Lagerfeld
129. “Never compare your journey with someone else’s. Your journey is your journey, not a competition.” – Anonymous
130. “Make certain that your goals are not measured in comparison with others.” – Denis Waitley
131. “Beauty is a relation, and the apprehension of it a comparison.” – Gerard Manley Hopkins
132. “Comparisons do ofttime great grievance.” – John Lydgate
133. “The death of contentment is comparison.” – Steven Furtick
134. “The problem with comparison is that you always feel either better than someone else or worthless compared to someone else.” – Dillon Burroughs
135. “Comparison will be the number one thing that will keep you from doing what God’s calling you to do. He’s put a gift and a call and a desire in your heart that is different than anyone else’s. And you’re wired that way for a reason.” – Kari Jobe
136. “Don’t compare yourself to others. That’s a battle you can never win.” – Michelle Parsons
Quotes about comparison to make you stop
137. “Jealousy is the fear of comparison.” –Max Frisch
138. “Always remember, the goals that we have achieved pale in comparison to the daily commitments it took to get there.” –Dabo Swinney
139. “We live in a world of communication – everyone gets information about everyone else. There is universal comparison and you don’t just compare yourself with the people next door, you compare yourself to people all over the world and with what is being presented as the decent, proper and dignified life. It’s the crime of humiliation.” –Zygmunt Bauman
140. “It is very easy to overestimate the importance of our own achievements in comparison with what we owe others.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer
141. “Comparison is a thug that robs your joy. But it’s even more than that – Comparison makes you a thug who beats down somebody – or your soul.” –Ann Voskamp
142. “I generally find that comparison is the fast track to unhappiness. No one ever compares themselves to someone else and comes out even. Nine times out of ten, we compare ourselves to people who are somehow better than us and end up feeling more inadequate.” –Jack Canfield
143. “Comparison is a disease. I never felt any competition, since I never compared myself to others. I only focus on my work.” –Ravi Teja
144. “Happiness in the present is only shattered by comparison with the past.” –Douglas Horton
145. “Every minute you spend wishing you had someone else’s life is a minute you spend wasting yours.” –Author Unknown
146. “I cannot say this too strongly: Do not compare yourselves to others. Be true to who you are, and continue to learn with all your might.” –Daisaku Ikeda
Best quotes about comparison
147. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
148. “You don’t have to live up to anyone else’s standards, you don’t have to look like anyone else, you don’t have to compare yourself to anyone else.” – Lizzie Velasquez
149. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
150. “I’m humble enough to know I’m not better than anybody and wise enough to know I’m different from the rest.” – Unknown
151. “There’s competition at every phase of your life. The day we start thinking about it, you lose your peace of mind. I don’t compete with anyone.” – Rakul Preet Singh
152. “If you think you can do better, then do better. Don’t compete with anyone; just yourself.” – Bob Fosse
153. “Be confident. Too many days are wasted comparing ourselves to others and wishing to be something we aren’t. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it is only when you accept everything you are – and aren’t – that you will truly succeed.” – Unknown
154. “The fastest way to kill something special is to compare it to something else.” – Unknown
155. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” – Dalai Lama XIV
156. “I’m too busy working on my own grass to notice that yours is greener.” – Unknown
Quotes About Comparison To Keep You Going
157. “Comparing your bad with their good doesn’t make any sense.” — Nitin Namdeo
158. “Two humans are completely different from each other, comparing them is like insulting nature.” — Nitin Namdeo
159. “Don’t compare your weakness to their strength.” — Nitin Namdeo
160. “Comparing yourself to others is like cursing yourself.” — Nitin Namdeo
161. “The biggest self-abuse in the world is to compare yourself to others.” — Nitin Namdeo
162. “The cheapest act you can do is to compare yourself to someone else.” — Nitin Namdeo
163. “Comparison and lack of self-confidence is the reason for jealousy.” — Nitin Namdeo
164. “Comparison takes away your delight and brings suffering in return.” — Nitin Namdeo
165. “Comparison kills your creativity and makes your dreams blurry.” — Nitin Namdeo
166. “If you know what the purpose of your life is, you will never compare yourself to anyone.” — Nitin Namdeo
Quotes About Comparison To Embrace Self-Love
167. “It’s hard to stop people comparing their world with the world they imagine you to have.” ― Carla H Krueger
168. “The position of a hero is not for the comparison, it is a reference point” ― Amit Kalantri
169. “If you have an old habit of competing and comparing yourself with others, then you are still living your life like a sperm. GROW UP!!” ― Saurabh Sharma
170. “Comparison is the enemy to creativity.” ― E’yen A. Gardner
171. “Never stretch your neck to see who is not doing it big. Look into your bosom, and realize that you can do it bigger! Go, create a brighter picture!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
172. “Comparing kills fulfillment.” ― Todd Stocker
173. “Waste no time to compare yourself with others. Find your soul.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
174. “Don’t compare yourself with others. You are one of a kind!” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
175. “Run your own race. Fear creeps in when we compare ourselves too much with others.” ― Sanchita Pandey
176. “Comparison is the root of all feelings of inferiority. The moment you begin examining other people’s strengths against your most obvious weaknesses, your self-esteem starts to crumble!” ― James C. Dobson
Quotes About Comparison To Maintain Self Esteem
177. “Whatever your passion is, keep doing it. Don’t waste time chasing after success or comparing yourself to others. Every flower blooms at a different pace.” — Suzy Kassem
178. “Comparison is the thief of all joy.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
179. “I feel lost not doing art, unsatisfied, anxious, bored. Everything else in comparison seems not terribly important.” — Nancy Crow
180. “Comparison is the most dangerous acquaintance love can make.” — Soren Kierkegaard
181. “The ego knows itself by comparison.” — Richard Rohr
182. “Comparison leads to violence.” — Mandy Patinkin
183. “It is the saints who know what being in love is all about. Earthly love pales by comparison.” — Thomas Dubay
184. “People who are insecure about themselves will avoid social comparisons that are potentially threatening to their self-esteem.” — Albert Bandura
185. “God endowed you with a glory when he created you, a glory so deep and mythic that all creation pales in comparison.” — John Eldredge
186. “Everyone is born unique. No comparison is possible. You are you, and I am I.” — Rajneesh
What are your thoughts on these quotes about comparison?
What other comparison quotes would you add to the list?
When you decide that the only person you have to please is yourself, you can also decide WHAT your definition of good and successful are.
This can be empowering, therapeutic, and motivating.
Never compare yourself to anyone.
If the only person you are competing with is yourself, you can set realistic, attainable, and rewarding goals.