Looking for motivating courage quotes that will help you be brave in the face of challenges?
Many people think it is in the grand gestures and the major acts.
However, in regards to becoming more courageous, it can be found even in the small choices that we make each day, in doing something despite being afraid of it.
It’s facing a fear or jumping into something, even if we are unsure of the outcome.
What does it mean to have courage? How can we be more courageous in our daily life?
If we take stock in ourselves and our thoughts and actions, we may find that we have more courage than we give ourselves credit for.
More importantly, we need to refine our definition of what courage truly is.
Here are some inspiring, wise, and powerful courage quotes, courage sayings, and courage proverbs on what it is, and how different it can look to each and every one of us.
If you need the courage to move forward in your life, be sure to check out our compilation of inspirational moving on quotes.
Courage quotes for pushing past fear
1. “To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.”- Soren Kierkegaard
2. “Without courage, wisdom bears no fruit.”- Baltasar Gracian
3. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”- Anais Nin
4. “When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint on the clouds of doubt,
And you can never tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar.
So, stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit
“It’s when things go wrong that you mustn’t quit.”- Unknown
5. “Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness.”- Bertrand Russell
6. “The best way out is always through.”- Robert Frost
7. “Only be you strong, and very courageous, then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” – Joshua 1:7-8
8. “The greatest test of courage on the earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.”- R. G. Ingersoll
9. “It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”- Theodore Roosevelt
10. “Don’t get discouraged; it is often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.”- Unknown
Courage Quotes about life
11. “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.”- Maya Angelou
12. “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.”- Unknown
13. “Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities . . . because it is the quality which guarantees all others.” – Winston Churchill
15. “The encouraging thing is that every time you meet a situation, though you may think at the impossibility and you go through the tortures of the damned, once you have met it and lived through it you find that forever after you are freer than you ever were before. If you can live through that you can live through anything.
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of encouraging quotes to help keep you going.
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, `I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, in not daring to come to grips with it.
If you fail anywhere along the line, it will take away your confidence. You must make yourself succeed every time. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn By Living (1960)
16. “The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.” – Tacitus, Roman historian
Quotes about courage and success
17. “I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflections.” – Thomas Paine
18. “There is nothing in the world so much admired as a man who knows how to bear unhappiness with courage.” – Seneca
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Seneca quotes that will help you in all facets of your life.
19. “Bravery is a complicated thing to describe. You can’t say it’s three feet long and two feet wide and that it weighs four hundred pounds or that it’s colored bright blue or that it sounds like a piano or that it smells like roses. It’s a quality, not a thing.” – Mickey Mantle, The Quality of Courage
20. “Courage is doing what you’re afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you’re scared.” – Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I hero
21. “Fight hard when you are down; die hard—determine at least to do—and you won’t die at all.” – James H. West
You might also like these insecurity quotes and sayings to help you gain confidence.
Inspiring Courage Quotes about fighting for your dreams
22. “Whatever your sex or position, life is a battle in which you are to show your pluck, and woe be to the coward. Whether passed on a bed of sickness or a tented field, it is ever the same fair play and admits no foolish distinction. Despair and postponement are cowardice and defeat. Men were born to succeed, not to fail.” – Henry David Thoreau
23. “What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.” – Donald Trump
24. “Courage is not limited to the battlefield or the Indianapolis 500 or bravely catching a thief in your house. The real tests of courage are much quieter. They are the inner tests, like remaining faithful when nobody’s looking, like enduring pain when the room is empty, like standing alone when you’re misunderstood.” – Charles Swindoll
25. “Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.” – Babe Ruth
26. “No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.” – Admiral Horatio Nelson
27. “[Admiral Nelson’s counsel] guided me time and again. On the eve of the critical battle of Santa Cruz, in which the Japanese ships outnumbered ours more than two to one, I sent my task force commanders this dispatch: ATTACK REPEAT ATTACK. They did attack, heroically, and when the battle was done, the enemy turned away.
All problems, personal, national, or combat, become smaller if you don’t dodge them, but confront them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble. Carry the battle to the enemy! Lay your ship alongside his!” – Admiral William “Bull” Halsey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of enemy quotes that will make you want to cut ties with your frenemies.
28. “Trust the still, small voice that says, “this might work and I’ll try it.” – Diane Mariechild
29. “Come to the edge, He said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, He said.
They came. He pushed them,
And they flew . . .” – Guillaume Apollinaire, French poet
Courage quotes about strength and love
30. “Never forget that no military leader has ever become great without audacity.” – Karl von Clausewitz
31. “Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister
32. “To look at something as though we had never seen it before requires great courage.” – Henri Matisse
33. “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not the absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave.” – Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd’nhead Wilson
34. “Courage is being scared to death—but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John Wayne quotes to lead you through life.
35. “Begin it now. The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.” – Unknown
36. “We need to wake up from a thought that lasts too long.” – Paul Valéry
37. “In the age-old contest between popularity and principle, only those willing to lose for their convictions are deserving of posterity’s approval.” – Gerald R. Ford
38. “To uncover your true potential you must first find your own limits and then you have to have the courage to blow past them.” – Picabo Street
39. “Courage is more exhilarating than fear and in the long run it is easier. We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down.”- Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn By Living (1960)
40. “I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it.” – Abraham Lincoln, November 2, 1863 in letter to James H. Hackett
41. “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” – Marie Curie
Courage quotes on following your dreams
42. “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” ― Stephen Hawking
43. “I know what I want, I have a goal, an opinion, I have a religion and love. Let me be myself and then I am satisfied. I know that I’m a woman, a woman with inward strength and plenty of courage.” ― Anne Frank
44. “We need a backbone, not a wishbone.” ― Joyce Meyer
45. “Stories make us more alive, more human, more courageous, more loving.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
46. “When I step out on stage in front of thousands of people, I don’t feel that I’m being brave. It can take much more courage to express true feelings to one person. […] In spite of the risks, the courage to be honest and intimate opens the way to self-discovery. It offers what we all want, the promise of love. ”― Michael Jackson
47. “I told myself, Malala, you have already faced death. This is your second life. Don’t be afraid — if you are afraid, you can’t move forward.” ― Malala Yousafzai
48. “The only tyrant I accept in this world is the ‘still small voice’ within me. And even though I have to face the prospect of being a minority of one, I humbly believe I have the courage to be in such a hopeless minority.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
49. “What we know matters but who we are matters more.” ― Brené Brown
50. “Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.” ― Aristotle
Courage quotes to help you find your inner bravery
51. “I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster.” – Catherine the Great
52. “Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.” – Confucius
53. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” – Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of consistency quotes to inspire long term thinking.
54. It takes courage to examine your life and to decide that there are things you would like to change, and it takes even more courage to do something about it. – Sue Hadfield
55. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Motivational courage quotes
56. “Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, “Get the hell out of my way, I’ve got things to do.” – Unknown
57. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”― E.E. Cummings
58. “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.”― William Faulkner
59. “Everyone has talent. What’s rare is the courage to follow it to the dark places where it leads.” ― Erica Jong
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of dark quotes that will motivate you to keep going and encourage you that things will be OK.
60. “Courage is found in unlikely places.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
Powerful courage quotes
61. “Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” – Helen Keller
62. “With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.” ― Margaret Mitchell
63. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali
64. “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” – Winston Churchill
65. “Bravery is being the only one who knows you’re afraid.” ―Franklin P. Jones
66. “You can choose courage, or you can choose comfort, but you cannot choose both.” ―Brené Brown
67. “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
68. “Courage is grace under pressure.” ― Ernest Hemingway
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of grace quotes that will change your life.
69. “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.” ―Steve Jobs
70. “Fortune always favors the brave, and never helps a man who does not help himself.” ―P. T. Barnum
Uplifting courage quotes
71. “Be Brave and Take Risks: You need to have faith in yourself. Be brave and take risks. You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.” ― Roy T. Bennett
72. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”― Lao Tzu
73. “The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource, adding color and suspense to all our life.” – Daniel J Boorstin
74. “It is courage, courage, courage, that raises the blood of life to crimson splendor. Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity.” – Horace
75. “Courage conquers all things: it even gives strength to the body.” – Ovid
76. “Without fear, there cannot be courage.” ― Christopher Paolini
77. “Real courage is knowing what faces you and knowing how to face it.” – Timothy Dalton
78. “Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.” ― Robert Louis Stevenson
79. “If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.” ― Dr. Roopleen
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of reality quotes aimed at helping you live your best life.
80. “The courage it took to get out of bed each morning to face the same things over and over was enormous.” ― Charles Bukowski
Courage quotes to make you strong
81. “Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”― Pope John Paul II
82. “There is no one more courageous than the person who speaks with the courage of his convictions.”― Susan Cain
83. “We ought to face our destiny with courage.”― Friedrich Nietzsche
84. “It takes a great deal of courage to stand alone even if you believe in something very strongly.”― Reginald Rose
85. “It’s the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance.”― Xiaolu Guo
86. “Courage is the hallmark of spirituality. Courage comes when you love yourself for who you are.”― Amit Ray
87. “He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch.”― Jean-Luc Godard
88. “Courage is very important. Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use.”― Ruth Gordon
89. “One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”― André Gide
90. “Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand-—that and such hope as I bring.”― J.R.R. Tolkien
91. “Courage originally meant “To speak one’s mind by telling all one’s heart.”― Brené Brown
92. “Sooner or later even the fastest runners have to stand and fight.”― Stephen King
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Stephen King quotes to give you a feel for some of his greatest works.
93. “It does not take courage to kill. It takes courage to live.”― Renee Ahdieh
94. “Do not be afraid. Because if you let these fears consume you, you’ll most likely fail even before everything else starts.”― Veronica Mist
95. “Courage is not the absence of fear or despair; it is the capacity to continue on despite them, no matter how great or overwhelming they become.”― Robert Fanney
Courage quotes to help you fight for your dreams
96. “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” – Brené Brown
97. “Courage is a learned quality, an acquirable set of skills, a practiced competence.” – Gus Lee
98. “Do you have the courage to act outwardly on what you see inwardly?” – T.D. Jakes
99. “Through untold courage and sacrifice, America’s veterans have secured the liberty which the founding fathers sought to establish here in the new world.” – Gen. Colin L. Powell
100. “What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?” – Vincent van Gogh
101. “Genius is talent set on fire by courage.” – Henry Van Dyke
102. “Have the courage to be who you are, not what people expect you to be.” – David Goggins
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of David Goggins quotes to help you overcome any situation.
103. “We must have the courage to let go of the past if we are going to grasp the future.” – David DeNotaris
104. “The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.” – Jim Hightower
105. “Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to carry on with dignity in spite of it.” – Scott Turow
Don’t go without reading our list of hero quotes that will give you more courage.
More courage quotes and sayings
106. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – J.K. Rowling
107. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston S. Churchill
108. “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” – Coco Chanel
109. “Bran thought about it. ‘Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?’ That is the only time a man can be brave,’ his father told him.” – George R.R. Martin
110. “Be brave to stand for what you believe in even if you stand alone.” – Roy T. Bennett
111. “Live the Life of Your Dreams: Be brave enough to live the life of your dreams according to your vision and purpose instead of the expectations and opinions of others.” – Roy T. Bennett
112. “Don’t be afraid of your fears. They’re not there to scare you. They’re there to let you know that something is worth it.” – C. JoyBell C.
113. “There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” – Jane Austen
114. “Believe in yourself. You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you imagine.” – Roy T. Bennett
115. “Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.” – August Wilson
Did you enjoy these courage quotes?
It’s not easy to forget your fear.
But by understanding that courage was never the absence of it, you will find that it’s possible to be really brave every day.
We hope that these courage quotes have redefined what it means to be brave in the face of challenges or adversity today.
What other quotes about courage would you add to the list? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about them. Also, feel free to share with your family and friends.
February 18, 2021 6:00 AM EST